A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic The Hedgehog 3D v0.3

2) Why doesn't the mouse aiming work?

2)You mean homing attack? you have to download the patch for it

No I mean, the camera in the old demo would move as you moved the mouse. It doesn't in this demo. Can it be fixed?

Thanks for the other responses though. You should probably default the crouch button as CTRL as its closer to the Shift key and would be a lot easier to use.

No I mean, the camera in the old demo would move as you moved the mouse. It doesn't in this demo. Can it be fixed?

Thanks for the other responses though. You should probably default the crouch button as CTRL as its closer to the Shift key and would be a lot easier to use.

That's strange, the camera works the same way as in old demo.

Thanks for advice.

The issue with the jump is an internal source code variable hardcoded into the Duke EXE best I remember. you can't change it without all the linked variables to jump height suddenly freaking out.

though I do think you could change the movement via CON code with similiar code to creating a vehicle. I dunno a whole lot about that subject though.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone. It's been awhile since I visited SFGHQ, and I'm glad to be back. I'm happy to announce the release of a new version of Sonic The Hedgehog 3D, my longest running project ever. I started it years ago and since then it was improving.

V 0.3 contains new levels, fixes, extra polishing, new music & sounds, updated graphics, new enemies, unlocks, new locations on old levels, intro sequence and many more. The new version was also optimized to work on most systems and it now supports joystick. If you like 3D Sonic fan games, be sure to download and tell me what you think!

Links:

IndieDB page - Windows/Linux/Mac downloads here + mirrors in the description.

Gamejolt page

Screenshots:

94498691.jpg

duke0008.jpg

70147837.jpg

19708772.jpg

18529345.jpg

Video:

Good luck and stay tuned for more updates!

• 1 year later...

I actually like it for the most part.  In fact, I'm absolutely floored that you managed to do this in the Build engine.

There are some valid issues, though.  I think a lot of people might not like it because it doesn't feel very Sonic-y.  It's more of a standard platformer with a few Sonic elements like rings and the like.  Obviously this is just a limitation of the engine, and it's not like it stops Sonic Robo Blast 2, which is very similar.  The level designs are decent, but rely maybe a bit too heavily on hunting for buttons to open doors.  It slows down the flow of the game a bit as you have to hunt, and it feels repetitive when you realize pretty much every level has at least one of those puzzles.  Worse (although not used a lot) is when you have to pick up the vases and drop them on the buttons.  It goes completely against the concept of Sonic's speed, and to top it off he can't even run while carrying them.

Overall though I had fun, and I'd love to see this finished.

Thanks! But what about the controls? I was thinking about making a programmed camera like in SA, will that help?

Yes that'd be a great help! I actually like this game a lot. The camera is 1 out of 2 of my woes with the game. Because sometimes jumping on enemies is hard but otherwise I think this is a pretty great game. The level design feels open and offers a multiple path at most times. My only other complaint is that it takes away the mouse. It's for the camera I guess but I normally don't use my mouse in pretty much any game that offers it. Can't wait to see more from it!

• 4 weeks later...