A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Totally new kind of Tails engine.

Stop calling your engines the best thing in the world.

I can't say I enjoyed this, really. It's nothing like the way Tails actually plays, which I guess is fine, but it's not my thing. I also don't see what's not to like about Tail's old school gameplay anyway- he controls just like Sonic but with the added ability of being able to swim/fly. At the moment you could swap Tails' sprite out with another character's and it'd be the same.

Stop calling your enines the best thing in the world.

I can't say I enjoyed this, really. It's nothing like the way Tails actually plays, which I guess is fine, but it's not my thing. I also don't see what's not to like about Tail's old school gameplay anyway- he controls just like Sonic but with the added ability of being able to swim/fly. At the miment you could swap Tails' sprite out with another character's and it'd be the same.

No,no.. I always say in my opinion.

No,no.. I always say in my opinion.

I don't give a damn. I barely watched your last video because of the wonderful little intro of how awesome it is. Like, Taxman said, if your work is good, then it'll be good and you can leave it at that. Personally, I don't like this as a Tails engine- the same way I don't like having to read a post talking about how great it is before watching a video that says the same thing in not only the title, but the video and the Info section as well. Come off it.

Sincerely, this is pretty original, but I want more of it .____. why don't you improve the graphics?

... It's an engine?

I don't like this engine. It's not like Tails at all. You have what seems like infinite flying with no gravity, an unstoppable overpowered Buster arm with infinite ammo, range, and no vertical limit to the downward shooting... This is just weird and broken.

Other people have pointed this out, but I really am concerned about the flying... it just doesn't look aerodynamically feasible. A lot of the thrill of flying in regular Tails gameplay is the constant tactile feedback of pushing jump, jump, jump; it lets you know that you're still in control of the game. There's a lot less interaction to moving straight up or straight right without much control. It also makes gameplay a lot easier, which isn't always a good thing; with normal Tails, if something is about to attack you, you stop pressing jump and hope that you descend quickly enough. Here you hold the down key and are instantly out of the way. Physics are important to Sonic games, and gravity is important to physics.

Clearly the main feature of this engine is the weapons that show how smart Tails is. I don't think this is the only route you could go with such idea... one could easily imagine a game where Tails goes around reprogramming badniks and other machines he finds in his path, and manages to pose a threat that way without any great physical prowess. Where is the MacGyver here? I'm not saying do that, it's just an interesting idea.

Anyway, I do like where you're going with the weapons, although I think some of them should be a little smaller graphically so as to leave more of the screen visible. Obviously these are weak test enemies so we can't know how hard it will be to kill (/disarm) regular badniks, but the attacks look seriously overpowered. The flamethrower pointing down reminded me a lot of Cave Story, where the machine gun at level 3 serves as a jetpack, and if you haven't played that game I would suggest you do and take notes. That's a game with a very functional weapon system. These attacks you're working with have potential, but I think they would work better as things a player would have to work up to over the course of a level or game and gradually make more powerful.

The lightning right now is the most interesting attack, for I don't remember seeing anything like it. Unfortunately the movement of the enemies you lightninged looked really erratic: their sprites rotating was quite awkward, especially when it had no effect on the actual direction they moved, and it generally looked unrealistic. If they fell from the sky and bounced that would be one thing, or in some way kept going with their programming, but this bears no resemblance to anything they had been doing beforehand. I also think the ice would look better if the result wasn't always the same sprite and was actually a frozen over badnik specific to what it was you froze. In general you have a definite direction here and you're on the right path, you just need to do some tweaking, refine the powerfulness, and figure out exactly how you want the different weapons to interact with the level and when they are or aren't a good idea.

How many goddamn engines do you have? Are you going to make a game with at least one of them or are you just going to come in here and say that your work is the best shit ever?

Unless, you're saying that your "totally new" engine is the only one of its kind and, therefore, the best by default. If that's the case, then here's your crown, King Douche.

The flying looks unresponsive and boring. As Violet wonderfully put it, there needs to be some feedback when you press jump.

The shooting is ridiculous. Would there any challenge to a game made with this engine? All the attacks take up half of the screen.

Finally, the enemies. Get new sprites.

Mmm... The "finest" Tails Engine? Are you narcissistic egotistic Yvar? Welcome to club me!

Well at least this thread itself didn't proclaim as much. I ain't gonna say much more about that man, just that in most cases, it don't do too well to say that your stuff is "teh bestest", let it proof it for itself. Yo, I know it's already been said, so I'm not gonna say it anymore.

Anyway, I think it does have potential, but it's still really rough around the edges. I know the engine is supposed to be about Tails, but some better enemy interaction would have better demonstrated the abilities of Tail's super buster laser. I think the ideas of the busters themselves are pretty innovative, even more so given the fact that you made it so that you have to charge it up by killing enemies and you can't go on any old blatant rampage when you feel like it.

Unfortunately, the video didn't show me that. I know it's an engine test, so you've got to have lots of enemies to showcase all of the abilities, but still, I wasn't feeling anything more than it being a playground to blast things up, fly around some, and play with the weapons. Sweet dude, I know what the weapons and all that jazz will do, but how does it really hold up in a game scenario? I mean, after all, engines build games.

As for tweaking, jumping and flying need to be better modeled after Tails in the real, official Sonic The Hedgehog games. Tails jumps way too high and moves too fast in mid air. Otherwise, you've still got some work to do. As it is Tails in this engine seems only slightly less "borring" as you say he's been all these years. But I think you can change that, just put some more considerations into the engine man.

I have to say I agree with most of the comments so far. People always create what they think is best but they don't have to voice it so loudly. The engine is good and interesting but doesn't fit Tails that well and looks like it would just be a massive shooting spree.

However there are two other characters this could fit well with a few adjustments to the weapons, Gamma and Omega. Yes I know these characters are the more hated characters in the Sonic Universe but I think these kinds of weapons could really create some interesting gameplay for them. Also its very rare we see either used in a fan game so it could provide a uniqueness to your games.

It still turns people off if you think very highly of your own work. I'm not saying you should be modest, but choose carefully what you say.

Ok. wel.. I think the 'best thing in the world' thingy is a bit to exaggerated. I know that i'am a bit TO proud about my stuff and that i have to learn a lot. Also i see that it is really hard on this forum to make most people satisfied compared to other forums. ( and no.. these aren't noob forums). I'am happy with the people who gave tips tough.

How awesome is this? So awesome! XD

Also, oh man, I just noticed it! His sign says: "creator of SA3". He must be very proud of himself!

=D

That been said, how many damned Sonic Adventure 3's there are?