A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Nintendo DSi

...but everyone in my family says I already have a DS... even though I have the original fat DS...

And that is why I do not want one. ...well, less because he has the original fat DS and more because I do, but still.

I raged pretty hard when the DS wouldn't play my rather large selection of GBC/GB games, but wound up getting it anyway, since the DS had a ton of games I wanted to play. The DSi now gets rid of my GBA slot as well, and doesn't have that library of exclusives to back it up? Not moving on until it does... and when it does, I'll probably just trade my DS and GBA in for a DSi and GBASP, I guess.

I'm not going to buy one. Usually, every time a new Nintendo handheld is released, I buy it, but I think I've finally reached my limit in this generation's handhelds. Much like I didn't buy the GBA Micro, I'm not planning on buying the second spinoff of the DS.

It's just a DS Lite without a GBA Slot (so long, Rumble Pak), a camera, built-in Internet (but I already have the DS browser), and an online store with a bunch of games I'll never buy with its own brand of point-based currency; as if Wii Points weren't enough. Yeah, I don't think I'm planning on ever buying DSi.

Your loss. The handheld's totally bitchin' the two cameras and mic software is pretty sweet (mic's been improved) and supposedly I can get some free downloadable games for a limited time?

EDIT: 1000 DSi points. Awesome.

I could care less about the lack of GBA slot; those games stick out of the Lite, so I just shove them on my PSP or laptop.

Finally, little touches make the experience a lot more fun; quickly hitting "POWER" will take you to the main menu, which looks like I'll be using it a lot (lots of empty slots) and the buttons are a nice middle between the DS's clicky buttons and the Lite's convex buttons. Having buttons for the volume is preferred, and man, I totally forgot what it's like to have a DS that didn't have a half-busted hinge.

My only complaint is that I need to wait for my other order to come in (bought Rhythm Heaven to hold me over. Lotsa fun) and that the texture of the handheld is kinda weird.

I still see the DSi as nothing more than an anti-R4 patch. Anyway I happen to own two DS lites (a coral pink and a metallic rose) with the CP dying a little bit, so I made trade it in towards some credit towards a DSi. On the other hand, theres no US Pink DSi yet, so I'll wait.

theres no US Pink DSi yet, so I'll wait.

Rosalina Blue not effeminate enough for ya? :P

And I'm hearing a few flashcards are working. R4 is old hardware, as evidenced by a lot of dumps not working without proper patching. I wasn't expecting it to last till the end of the DS's lifespan, let alone on new hardware.

Can't counter the "I already have two DS's" argument, only because I've never met anyone with more than one DS :V

Rosalina Blue not effeminate enough for ya? :P

And I'm hearing a few flashcards are working. R4 is old hardware, as evidenced by a lot of dumps not working without proper patching. I wasn't expecting it to last till the end of the DS's lifespan, let alone on new hardware.

Can't counter the "I already have two DS's" argument, only because I've never met anyone with more than one DS :V

I've got two DS's. My DS Lite and my DS Phat. Granted I never use my Phat any more, but buying the DSi means I need to replace my R4 which has worked on every game I've wanted to play. On top of that, I just ordered a slot-2 card, so that would totally kill that purchase for me. I play more GBA games than DS games now-a-days =/.

I can't be assed to open paint again. Just imagine that I'm actually typing page breaks and img tags after every post. That, or I could just write long posts. Like this one :V

And R4 users usually have to wait for major releases; that is, anti-piracy measures within the ROMs themselves mean someone has to figure out how to patch GTA or else the rom won't work. Chrono Trigger had probably the most devious anti-piracy lock, one that took quite awhile to work around due to conflicts with the save data, but also didn't reveal itself until you went through the first time gate, meaning there was delay in the release of any kind of patch.

I recall having to manually modify a ROM once, something I haven't done before. That kinda sucks, so I dropped about $25 on a better flashcard with some added functions that the R4 doesn't have, along with much stronger developer support. (Actually, I someone told me R4 stopped getting technical support, but I haven't bothered to visit the website in months.) Stuff like CycloDS is becoming the norm now, though AceKard's getting a lot of attention.

Not that I particularly care; I've got the expendable income to afford spending $25, and my Lite's just about had it, so it was either buy another Lite or buy this generation's Gameboy Color. Anyone put a GBC exclusive game in a regular GB on accident? I did. I was so sad :(

But that's all besides the point that I was making; our new member just ordered an R4 instead of a newer flashcard with stronger support. I can understand not buying a second flashcard, but if it's your first, there's nothing wrong with going for top of the line.

All that said, I already pawned my Lite and R4 to my roommate for a cool $125. I hope he doesn't notice the crack in the hinge. Aw fuck it; that's what he gets for not putting away his used socks. Goddamn, I hate my roommates.

TLDR: I'm happy with my purchase and that's all that matters <33333333

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the number of games I've pirated probably add up to $170. So, we're like...even, right?

Yea, that's exactly how it works...

The cheat form of the patch was out pretty expediently. I'm pretty sure I was playing the game within a couple days of its release. And believe it or not, that doesn't exactly kill a guy.

And if you are me, you've gone through the process of fixing the roms yourself anyway. It takes like 15 minutes. It isn't a big deal.

The only reason I'd be getting a new card at this point would be for SDHC support... which I probably will eventually want at some point since as it turns out, 2 gigs is pretty easy to sneeze at.