A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What is it with New school fans?

DJ espeed

I'm pretty sure anything that likes all the new sonic shit, is probably also in love with games like the new crash bandicoots and the new spyro games, probably even ty the tazmanian tiger (if that's his fucking name). Which are all pretty terrible games at this point.

I guess this thread is at the point where this goes without saying, but for one extreme, there's usually another. Conveniently, you can find the bulk of that other extreme at a magical land of loathing, despair, and envy called Sonic Retro. Might be me, but between the obnoxious kiddos/"newschoolers" and the attendance at Retro, the former is easy to ignore and the latter is annoying as hell.

Sonic's fandom is a spiderwebbed clusterf**k. Everyone will complain about something or about someone who complains about something. Its an endless cycle of failure. There are however those who aren't mucked up in said mess.

Thank you, very very much.

Somewhat related, it's kinda odd where I fell in. I seldom ever touched Sonic games until '98, when I finally got started with a Genesis and 5 of the 7 games (S&K and Mean Bean missing). Up to then it had been the cartoons and the Archie comic carrying my interest. By the time Sonic Adventure hype fired up in '99 I was relatively quick to jump on that boat. So while I was "brought up" persay on the Genesis series, I was super late to the party (which I do not regret) and just in time for the next "phase", so it may as well have been both.

The Advanced Series is like this: A guy is walking and carrying a stack of papers orderly and neat. He feels good that he did so much work to keep it nice, clean and tidy. (Sonic Advanced 1)

This is an alright analogy but you got to remember, the trend for portable systems around that time was (and still is, to a lesser extent) to be able to ape the capabilites of past consoles because that was cool to pull off. Hence, the Mario Advance ports for example. It wasn't only about staying nice and tidy with what was already established.

I once was playing Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis, and my friend, who is a bit of a fan for Sonic (He played Sonic Rush and liked it), looked at the TV screen, and said, that looks terrible, boring, ugly, etc. I told him the game was from 1991 and he said it still looks terrible, boring ugly, etc. >_>

wow what a buncha fur___s are in this thread.

EDIT: Okay why why is that back on the banned word list I thought that was fixed ages ago.

Because you are a gay ass spelunking butt pirating sphincter mining anus digging flaming queer bait fudge packing brokeback mountain watching glory hole visiting dick munching brother humping SON OF ANDY WARHOL!

And that my friends, is why single word censorship is just silly.

Well, for me, the first Sonic game I'd ever played was Spinball back in '93; I wouldn't get to play another Sonic game until SA2: Battle came out for the 'Cube (and I was hooked on the Chao Garden). In fact, I'd never played any of the Genesis platformers until I bought a Radica Genesis in '04, and then I became a fan of old-school Sonic. There's something about the Genesis games that makes me want to keep playing them; I feel like they have a fun, addictive nature about them.

So, I guess my experiences have allowed me to attain some respect for both ends of the Sonic spectrum; I can still enjoy my Genesis games while having fun playing Sonic Rush. What I still hope for is that Sonic games become as surreal, compelling, and addictive as they once were, and can become a franchise everyone can enjoy the same way they did in Sonic's heyday.

Sure, pleasing everyone with a single Sonic game seems like a pipe dream, but then again, no one likes the same kind of food, either. In my opinion, I think what SEGA needs to try is, instead of trying to appeal to the tastes of the people on one end of the Sonic spectrum, they should be making different Sonic games that appeal to the rest of the Sonic fans: old-school Sonic for the old-school fans, and new-school Sonic for the new-school fans. That way, fans can still appreciate modern Sonic games, even if those games are totally different.

The Genesis Sonic games had the same sort of appeal The Incredible Machine had, the same sort of appeal you get from fidgeting around flipping coins on your desk while you are bored in class, the same appeal everyone has from the big chase sequence in the Home Alone movies. Human beings like to see things interact and so we like toys to allow us to do outlandish interactions. So much of that has since been lost.

Because you are a gay ass spelunking butt pirating sphincter mining anus digging flaming queer bait fudge packing brokeback mountain watching glory hole visiting dick munching brother humping SON OF ANDY WARHOL!

Copycat.

I believe the correct term is "you cock-crunching boner-biting rim-roasting penor-pulling jackajerkoff homo-hugging pinkeye-pounding scrotum-sniffing rumpus-wrecking shitkicked 8-bit son of a no good morning-wood-muffling manmilk-drinking prisonsoap-catching fairyfragging beanerbaiting queerqueg-quoting fudgepack-feasting cheese-grater-toasted sandwich of a shit-spunking assbandit who bounces on the two-nut trampoline".

The Genesis Sonic games had the same sort of appeal The Incredible Machine had, the same sort of appeal you get from fidgeting around flipping coins on your desk while you are bored in class, the same appeal everyone has from the big chase sequence in the Home Alone movies. Human beings like to see things interact and so we like toys to allow us to do outlandish interactions. So much of that has since been lost.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS. FUCKING THIIIIIIIS. The series true form had nothing to do with the intended speed of the character or even just pretty enemies and gimmicks. It's the total formula of massively sorted levels with several interesting paths and use of the other things to reach the same goal. some of the paths just had flat out more fun stuff to find as well. By S3&K they had mastered this idea quite well. (which made playing any of the other characters an incredibly rewarding experience.)

It could be said alot of new games IN GENERAL are worse off because they don't really offer anything of the sort. the closest thing I got to really satisfying my curiousity in a game was playing Lost Planet and realizing just HOW MUCH stuff they would hide where you would be least likely to look. Games become untameable beasts if this aspect is done right.

Ugh... seriously. I play more oldschool games than new ones. The old Sonic games were good because they stood out of the crowd, and were top quality games for thier time. They were classics, and are still fun to play today. Compare it to Batman Forever for the Genesis. Now fast forward to modern Sonic games. At their best, they serve as mild entertainment, and most people talk about what it could have been. Compare Sonic Unleashed to Super Mario Galaxy. Nuff said.