A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CB (Prototype 2)

Ironrind

I hope there's a good storyline for this game, not just something like a Sonic recolor getting sucked into a crystal ball. Also, don't make the game too frustrating... it looks kinda annoying to try to look around in that globe.

Tried the engine test. It plays neat (I don't mind the zooming camera personally), but I'm afraid that people might spam the Air Boost. You can cover a lot of ground with proper timing, so you'd have to make the level such as to encourage 'thoughtful use' without filling the game with annoying death traps. I hope you have something in mind, since adding this kind of move in Sonic levels might be a problem (think along the lines of how you could basically fly over some stages as Tails in the old Genesis games, or better yet, glide over a lot of ground as Knuckles). It's not that drastic, but keep it in mind.

Only other thing I can say based on the engine test is that you could use those fancy rainbows as 'Special Stage Gates' maybe? Only an idea.

I'd like to see a full-blown level when you get to it, since I think I'd be much more helpful then.

These graphic effects (motion blurring in 3d!) are amazing, you made a good use of 3d there. But as cyborg said too-linear levels you can beat easily with air boost (which I think it's too strong). However, the gimmicks are pretty nifty, specially the elevator and spikeballs.

I just went ahead and disabled the dash. Maybe I'll save it for a shield or something later down the line, but I think you gave me an idea for the rainbows, Cyber rat. They could act as hints to a special stage being near by. The special stage could be concealed by a rock pushed over an opening to a small tunnel, ect. I will think about that some more.

Some more gimmicks have been added:

swing.png

swing2.png

corkScrew.png

corkScrewV.png

I will eventually add the running sprites for the corkscrews.

But as cyborg said too-linear levels you can beat easily with air boost (which I think it's too strong).

I'm not cyborg. XD

They could act as hints to a special stage being near by. The special stage could be concealed by a rock pushed over an opening to a small tunnel, ect.

It would be nice if the rainbow was invisible unless you pass near it, then you could make the player stop and look around for a 'pot of gold' he could jump in or something.

• 1 month later...

A few small updates..

I want this game to be very interactive as to where you can manipulate objects to get unpredictable results. The more creative you are, the more you will find shortcuts. If you prefer to just run through the level carefree, then you may end up taking a much longer and difficult route.

Pushable objects can be pushed over edges to smash enemies, crush spikes, break open new pathways and when used in combination with springs, they become projectiles.

rockedge.png

When walking into an enemy, they will fall over and then get back up. They can be knocked into springs like the rock above. In addition to red and yellow springs, I've added a blue spring which is the strongest spring.

springknock.jpg

It acts similar to cannons in Supermario 64 to send the player to inaccessible areas. (This will make more sense in a youtube video) Enemies can be attacked while in mid flight if timed right. In this pic, I hit the spring just after the ladybug did.

airborn.png

This area can only be gotten to by use of the blue spring.

landing.png

I want this game to be very interactive as to where you can manipulate objects to get unpredictable results. The more creative you are, the more you will find shortcuts. If you prefer to just run through the level carefree, then you may end up taking a much longer and difficult route.

If you manage to pull this off properly, I will love you endlessly.

Thanks, Realm0D ^_^

The screenshots may hint at the ideas in mind, but they are not so good when it comes to demontrating the ideas. Here is a youtube video which will show the multiple possibilities of your average rock.

Note: The tiles are nowhere near complete.

That's some nice work you have there Iron. The level art there looks awfully bland, though I thought the rock thing was pretty cool. Anyway keep it up, this looks like quite an interesting project.
Don't worry, he said that the tileset isn't complete. That most likely won't be what the final product will be like.

@flame

I want to broaden the gameplay with the most simple objects. If I can give all of the objects, gimmicks and enemies a new spin, it should liven up CB's gameplay. This time around, I want to add more to the environment while Sonic just stays the same.

@michael B

Yeah, the tiles are just enough to demonstrate the gameplay. I haven't given them much thought yet, aside from swapping the grass and adjusting the tile colors to better match the background.

Thanks, Realm0D ^_^

The screenshots may hint at the ideas in mind, but they are not so good when it comes to demontrating the ideas. Here is a youtube video which will show the multiple possibilities of your average rock.

Note: The tiles are nowhere near complete.

That was really awesome. I can foresee though certain ideas/tricks though being a little hard to figure out. In the game you will have a tutorial that will teach players how to use the objects right? Other than that, I think this is looking amazing. I really like this whole puzzle-oriented type thing you've got going on with this.

Hmm.. it's very hard for me to explain this.. These are just techniques/strategies. Therefore, you will be able to create your own way to make a path. You may find three different ways of doing the same thing that I hadn't planned on. Multiple possibilities. So instead of a tutorial, I'd rather leave it to player to learn how things work. If a certain goal is too complex, I will definitely make it optional.

Just don't make it so that players just skip most puzzles. Or, if you're gonna do it somewhat like in Braid (as far as the ability to skip puzzles goes), then add meaningful rewards (story reward or gameplay enhancement) to motivate the player to solve as many of them as possible.

That "Braid" game looks amazing. I'll have to watch some videos of it to get a good idea of how the gameplay works. From what I can tell, I'd like to do something like that, just at a much faster pace. Overly complex paths will lead to things like extra lives, shields ect.

There will also be your typical Sonic styled puzzles with an increasing difficulty curve as the stages progress. Those will be manditory.

• 3 weeks later...

(Nevermind the tiles above, I'm keeping the pattern the same.)

Sorry for the multiple posts.. But here is short video of CB's first act with about 50% of the act complete. There are two multiple paths at the moment, but there will probably be three that weave together throuhgout the level.

http://www.moddb.com/games/sonic-cb