A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CB (Prototype 2)

Ironrind

Thanks guys. I'm going to add tails for the next video to demonstrate the new functions for the springs. As you can see in that video, diagonal springs will put you into a spiral move which can be used to crash through walls. Some springs can be pushed across moving platforms. Blue springs send you long distances like the cannons do in Mario64.

Tails will act aggressive towards enemies. I want him to better keep up with Sonic rather than have him fall behind so easily. If "Tails abuse" is your thing, he should keep the player entertained. =P

• 3 weeks later...

Tails has been added:

tails1.png

tails2.png

tails3.png

tails4.png

He keeps up with Sonic farily good and will fly to Sonic if he cannot jump the distance. I still need to add some aggressive AI, a sense of dangerous surroundings and personality(He wil run from stronger enemies when by himself and attack the lesser ones).

I'll post the next vid soon.

You intend to add a HUD? Because based on what I've seen so far, I'd just add a ring counter that fades away if you don't take any rings for a while.

If you're adding time as a factor (thus needing a timer), I think it would be a good idea to be able to call/dismiss the HUD with a button. An empty screen kinda feels appropriate for the game.

You intend to add a HUD? Because based on what I've seen so far, I'd just add a ring counter that fades away if you don't take any rings for a while.

If you're adding time as a factor (thus needing a timer), I think it would be a good idea to be able to call/dismiss the HUD with a button. An empty screen kinda feels appropriate for the game.

I agree about the HUD. I'd like to remove it entirely aside from the rings in the fashion that you describe. Or maybe just a tiny ring symbol with a number? The only issue would have to do with the player knowing whether or not they would die with the next hit. I could display lives before the stage starts(like Super Mario Brothers on nes).

Ah, you and your 3D effects. I'm not really digging the 3D in this game, though. It just looks like a way to slightly distort tiles and make them look pixely for no reason other than the sake of saying it's 3D.

Yeah, true. A larger resolution does make up for a large percentage of the distortion, but the benefits of the D3d give me a little more to work with.

I agree about the HUD. I'd like to remove it entirely aside from the rings in the fashion that you describe. Or maybe just a tiny ring symbol with a number? The only issue would have to do with the player knowing whether or not they would die with the next hit. I could display lives before the stage starts(like Super Mario Brothers on nes).

Well, I guess people would keep track of whether they have rings or not. Or maybe you could make the ring counter be always visible if you're out of rings, with a blinking 0, but if you have at least one ring, the display fades away if you don't get any additional rings for a while (like 3 seconds maybe?).

Also, ever consider doing away with lives as a whole? Just an idea.

why not have the screen slowly glow and fade reddish when you don't have rings? That's not too hard to pull off in d3d either.

That's more for FPSs, or generally more 'violent' games. What could work is the "Crystal Ball" in which Sonic is in starting to crack. The downside is that the player would have to start with some amount of rings, and that getting constantly hit and having the screen crack could get annoying.

Also, here's an idea for a level: the crystal ball start to break and you have to finish the level before it's destroyed.

Engine Test 2(Tails aggression AI, Tails avoiding hazzards, more springs, rocks and platform tests):

Well, I guess people would keep track of whether they have rings or not. Or maybe you could make the ring counter be always visible if you're out of rings, with a blinking 0, but if you have at least one ring, the display fades away if you don't get any additional rings for a while (like 3 seconds maybe?).

It might work. I do worry about the player going into a panic like "Whoa, where are my rings?" Rings are kind of crucial as there may be a time where you want to know exactly how many rings you have, e.g. fighting a boss.

why not have the screen slowly glow and fade reddish when you don't have rings? That's not too hard to pull off in d3d either.

Hmm.. Red would seem to signafy blood or bleeding to death. Maybe white though(?), but then again the flashing could be too much.

Also, ever consider doing away with lives as a whole? Just an idea.

If lives are removed, death could be handled in the same way as "Knuckles Chaotix". I don't remember there being any lives, but rather some sort of 'return station'. Then I could shatter the ball and have you return to the station. Hmm..That pinball machine from Sonic 3 might come in useful..

And.. An interesting stage idea. I'll have to experiment with cracking visuals.

It might work. I do worry about the player going into a panic like "Whoa, where are my rings?" Rings are kind of crucial as there may be a time where you want to know exactly how many rings you have, e.g. fighting a boss.

You can always add the ability to call up the HUD by a press of a button. Like Crash Bandicoot (the PS1 games, not sure about the PS2 ones) with the triangle button.

Just lay a few sensors before boss arenas or other places where you think they're needed. When the player passes it, show the rings, delete the sensor.

You can always add the ability to call up the HUD by a press of a button. Like Crash Bandicoot (the PS1 games, not sure about the PS2 ones) with the triangle button.

Ah, good idea. Ok, I'm going to give that HUD a tweaking.

Just lay a few sensors before boss arenas or other places where you think they're needed. When the player passes it, show the rings, delete the sensor.

Ok, sounds pretty good and a time recall at the checkpoints even.