A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog // (The Sonic OVA fan game)

P3DR0

Yeah, just make the ground in the back blurry like Perry said.

It's looking very good so far; more original in appearance every time. ;> I'd just consider unsaturating the rings a bit to fit the rest of the graphics, unless you're planning on replacing the ring sprites in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

The game looks kinda interesting, but the level design....it's just terrible. i-i I'm sure someone else could give a better reason as to why it is, but I'm just gonna hope that the level design is temporary for testing purposes only. The background looks like it's dying for parallax too.

BUT in terms of the engine itself, it seems quite nice; very Unleashy.

I agree with LarkSS. Leveldesign is terrible. Maybe in the video it may look good. But that's not right. When developer is playing his level he always knows when he should jump or slowdown. But when different person plays it he doesn't know that. In a level like this he WILL get damaged ir die all the time.

Also I want to say that concepts that may work in 3D don't work in 2D.

I agree with LarkSS. Leveldesign is terrible. Maybe in the video it may look good. But that's not right. When developer is playing his level he always knows when he should jump or slowdown.

This is why I don't judge gameplay based on videos.

...This video is an example of how levels should NOT be in a Sonic fan game.

This video made the game look a thousand fold more uninteresting than the previous videos, the mockups you previously posted and even the very game concept in general.

What you presented in this video is nothing more but the base engine, with boost and homming attack added to it, with an *awful* background, and a level (which I dare to assume as a 'test'' level) with dubious level design and object placement.

Other than that, the game just looks like the (now very common) base engine, with nothing to make it interesting at all. If you would at least be using the custom sprites, it would be more interesting. Because every fan game now uses the advance sprites, using them as well and not having anything original in other aspects such as level designs, or enemies, or gimmicks, or whatever, won't make your game stand out more than the others.

You should really ask Felik for some leads about level designing. Because he's one of the best level designers I know, and he's very experienced in level designing for fast-paced fan games. You should also play Sonic Fusion to have an idea of how level designs should be for games that are supposed to be fast, as is yours.

...because, currently, your game is a 'wanna be fast, but I've no where to run'.

Then again, the game is yours, and so is the decisions taken.

Don't be too harsh. I'm pretty sure that the purpose of the video was just showing off the engine and gimmicks and not level design. I do recall the first video having parralax and better level design. I doubt he'd just forget all of that in an update. That being said, the engine is really good. I'm sure he'll improve the level design in his first demo.

No. I'm not been "harsh". I just wanted to make my point clear. How is he going to improve over a weak and baseless critcism? That's why I tried to point where his flaws are, and suggested how he could improve.

That being said, the engine is really good. I'm sure he'll improve the level design in his first demo.
That's exactly the problem.

We already know how the engine looks like. We want to know how HIS game looks like.

I'd say that the background and foreground graphics are great other then there's just not the much of the foreground.

It looks like your kind of going for a snow waste land and that's cool but what you could add is some really cool looking ice formations sort of like the ones in the background in the foreground.

Also the part inside where your running up the wall too bland make it something other then just gray.

Last I think the spike ball doesn't look right probably has something to do with it being from the genesis.

As for a Name how about Sonic Aspect

Man, the background had such potential... I'm so sad it turned out the way it did. I saw it looking epic but it fell short of my expectations.

=< Well, I'm not spriter, I'm trying to do everything... We're needing help with custom tiles... Anyone? D:

We are changing(?) the level design, Endri says all, it was a shit, sorry. :P

And Yes, the name "noname" is temporaly...