A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

No GTA 4 for Sony? Sony lies again?

Asuma

Sony bigwig dismisses notion that GTA non-exclusivity will lose PS3 some footing

There's no denying the Grand Theft Auto series' astonishing stranglehold on the general gaming population. In fact, such is the popularity of GTA, many have attributed a significant part of the PS2's success to Sony's exclusivity deal with Rockstar. Now, in the face of a simultaneous Xbox 360 and PS3 release for GTA4, SCEA's co-chief operating officer Jack Tretton has denied that the loss of exclusivity will be detrimental to Sony's next-gen success.

Speaking to TheStreet.com, Tretton argued, "There's no question that having the Grand Theft Auto franchise helped us a lot and helped us sell some units, but I don't think the battle would be any different with or without Grand Theft Auto." In fact, Tretton went on to confidentally state that, thanks to Sony's "formidable" first-party offerings, the lack of GTA4 exclusivity is unlikely to effect the company at all: "No, I don't think it hurts us. No, I really don't."

Advertisement: Moving on, Tretton gave his thoughts on the effect of PS3's inflated price - compared to the Xbox 360 - will have on consumers. "Well, I guess if price is the only consideration," he offered, "then we've won the war, because we've got a $129 PlayStation 2 that outsells the Xbox 360 today."

What's more, Tretton believes that, despite weighing in at a price point almost 150 GBP more than Xbox 360, the PS3 still offers more bang for consumer bucks: "If you look at the cost of the components and more importantly, the value to consumers, you have everything in the box at $399 on the Xbox 360; and it still falls well short of what the PlayStation 3 offers at $499." Sadly, Tretton didn't elaborate exactly how the 360 "falls short".

Finally, touching on Microsoft's one-year market lead time, Tretton also denied this would affect PS3's success. "Well, we've never been first to market in any generation. We weren't first when we debuted the original PlayStation. We weren't first with PlayStation 2", Tretton explained. "It ultimately came down to the system and what consumers preferred. At the end of the day, what you do in the first year, and whether you do 6 or 10 million units does not determine whether you're successful or not. We're looking to sell 100 million-plus worldwide. We're looking to sell 50 million plus in North America.

"So, if a competitor gets to 6 to 10 million worldwide, I would not consider that to be a significant advantage or a significant disadvantage as far as we're concerned."

This was taken for a post on honfire by Jona87. Yeah, um, I think I'm going to not support sony anymore...

Sony is just really, REALLY bad at getting out of tight situations when something they dont want you to know gets put out.

They suck REALLY bad at it, and usually end up pissing people off. Like them saying they were the first to use Realtime 3D, or when they said they were the ones who built the basis of control concept, when Nintendo was the first one to use an Analog in the first place.

i love the developer and game support sony gets, and i love my PS2, but I REALLY hate the company.

Wow. I'm kinda hoping Rockstar has heard that comment and decides to do a little "test" to see just how much Sony needs GTA. It'd be awesome if they made it X360 exclusive as a slap in the face. I mean sure Sony still has other console killer titles like oh.. I dunno.. Final Fantasy? But GTA was a pretty big one. What grown man doesn't like to shoot people in realistic scenes and not get arrested for it? ... Well. Now that I say it, that seems kind of bizarre. But whatever. It may not hurt them bigtime where they'll lose like.. billions of dollars, but it will affect them in some way. This "not at all" crap is stupid.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/22/sony-we-dont-need-no-stinkin-gta/

Holy ____ing cows on a rooftop. I've never seen a company so ____ing arrogant that they decided "we don't need the one thing that really sold our last system." Next, they're gonna say "if the PS3 doesn't sell well, it won't hurt us financally"

Oh, and they also think, literally, I'm gonna buy their system even if no games are out for it. Someone needs to find Sony a better marketing team, or one of those personal representative advisor guys that tell important and famous people "that's not a good idea"

Exclusive titles sells the systems. That's why I don't invest in any of M$'s consoles; cause the exclusives that they DO have are lackluster.

Sony's arrogance will be their downfall. I wish the Wii had better graphics so that Sony could port thier FF13 games over before they get stuck in the sinking ship.

PG: ... Why the heck would they port their Final Fantasy games to Wii even if it did have better gfx? Chances are they'd go to X360 instead. Even if the Wii had better gfx, the X360's would still own it. And yes I do hope SE jumps over to X360.

cuz I hatez M$ :X

Plus, they're getting closer now. FF3 on the DS=big win. They could have easily made it for PSP, or even aa console, but hey, Squenix does what Squenix wants.

Anywho, I rather dislike GTA anyways. The aspect of doing all that crap doesn't appeal to me. I mainly use the PS2 for FF and Disgaea