A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Release: Good Tails Follow Engine

Yeah, I did this really late tonight. It's very rough but Tails pretty much follows you when near, flies to you when far... interacts with most gimmicks. Some events are copied over though so some things loop which makes other things buggy so...whoever would like to look it over and sort it out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tails Engine.rar

• Like 1

That's the best new gimmick I've seen so far! :)

Once all the bugs have been smoothed out, will you be planning on using this kind of gimmick in Mecha Madness? I mean, I wouldn't expect Tails to use as many chained attacks like Sonic, given his limited AI, but maybe a plain weak attack every now and then would suffice -- kind of like how Tails works in the Genesis games.

Of course, do what you need to do with MM first, then decide if you want to bring Tails in to the fray. I could understand Tails not being a partner in MM before, seeing as this gimmick didn't exist yet, but maybe Tails has a shot now.

I could also really use this new gimmick in Sonic 4. Can't wait until I can use this in a prime condition. Nice job!

+Rep

[EDIT] Never mind; I read your thread. YES! :D

Version 3.

This includes all actions for tails to come to you. Path finding... When to mimic your moves when he's close enough and a few other things. Like I said, needs refining. If he dies once, he will keep dying over and over. IF anyone wants to continue editing it, by all means do so. The thing is... Tails' movement is an exact copy of the worlds engine so you have your own movement and Tails' movement capable of the same exact things. Hopefully that'll help some figure stuff out. All i ask is that if you do fix it to it's best potential, to post it here so that the community can use it.

Tails Engine.rar

• 2 weeks later...
Sonic Worlds, was the cause of all 2008 fangames be equal. What will change for the game be great? The sprites ¬¬'?

ehm, but you can still differentiate from a quality title from a lame sonic worlds mod!, it didn't change anything, just helped making greater projects with less effort on reinventing the square wheel, and yes, raised the bar in terms of quality and features.

nobody ought to care about n00b games anyway.

Everything uses Havok now, too. From Sonic Riders Zero Gravity to Brawl to Silent Hill Homecoming. An engine is just physics (Although that is very important).

Havok is just a physics engine, while Unreal is a full game engine ie: Implements Rendering, SceneGraph, Animation, Logic, Networking, Physics and Sound systems together, also ships a level editor and other tools. Games based on it enhance, expand and/or specialize some or all systems, even adding more to suit its needs.

Sonic Worlds, was the cause of all 2008 fangames be equal. What will change for the game be great? The sprites ¬¬'?

Says the one using the Sonic Revival engine instead. We've had this conversation around here before, the general consensus is the premades help people get a head start in fangaming. Yes the engine starts the same, but so does every flower seed. What matters is how its raised and used. Yes, there will be people who take the Worlds/Revival engines and not do anything outstanding with it, but then there are those, such as Streak who will modify the engine and add their own personal touches and tastes to the engine. ((I assume you have yet to even touch Mecha Madness) Its just like humanity.

Cry all you want about the community helping eachother out. Its one of those things we try to do here, something you are clearly not interested in.

• 7 months later...
Just about every game uses the Unreal 3 engine. Yet, they are able to make RPGS, platforms, etc. As I've said, it's what you do with the engine.

That's true. If I was smart enough to know how to put ledge grabbing on, which probably isn't hard at all, I can throw in a custom sprite and make a Assassin's Creed or Mirrors Edge 2d remake.

--Sorry I just unintentionally bumped this thread up. My bad.