A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Bush signs PRO-IP act into law

Serephim

Sorry for derrailing more the thread:

There doesn't exist something as "lossless" when it comes to audio. There's a lot of audio frequencies and harmonics the human auditive organ can ignore and still "sense" the song properly. That's what the lossy codecs are all about.

Here's the thing, though.

It seems a lot of you are groaning in reference to MP3s and music and what have you.

But remember...it's PRO-IP...*all* Intellectual Property...including video game characters, and other copyrighted material.

Could you all foresee an impact if the US government decides to police things like SFGs...or Sonic fan sites in general? Sort of like what FOX did for early fan sites of its TV shows (X-Files comes to mind) back in the 90s?

-T

But remember...it's PRO-IP...*all* Intellectual Property...including video game characters, and other copyrighted material.

Could you all foresee an impact if the US government decides to police things like SFGs...or Sonic fan sites in general? Sort of like what FOX did for early fan sites of its TV shows (X-Files comes to mind) back in the 90s?

-T

The thing is that that's what FOX did, and I think Nintendo did the same regarding fangames at some point in the past, but Sega doesn't really give a shit (and compared to Nintendo fans, us Sega fans kept spitting on Sega all the time (and still do)).

It seems a lot of you are groaning in reference to MP3s and music and what have you.

-T

You forgot trademarked materials, but you're right on. This also cause controversy because it effects fan communities as well. In other words, anything fan related will be prohibited until they get obtain the rights from the company that hold the franchise in question. But with the economy in this condition I doubt that they'll spend money to obtain every computers and servers in the country that happens to have internet support. It like saying that Computer are made for business and not playing games.

If you asked me, I say they made this law so that they can force us to get a real jobs and make a living out of it. Not to mention by more shit from companies that don't care about the quality of their products. They want us to improve the economy by being more involved in it.

You forgot trademarked materials, but you're right on. This also cause controversy because it effects fan communities as well. In other words, anything fan related will be prohibited until they get obtain the rights from the company that hold the franchise in question. But with the economy in this condition I doubt that they'll spend money to obtain every computers and servers in the country that happens to have internet support. It like saying that Computer are made for business and not playing games.

If you asked me, I say they made this law so that they can force us to get a real jobs and make a living out of it. Not to mention by more shit from companies that don't care about the quality of their products. They want us to improve the economy by being more involved in it.

Agreed. It brings a question, though. What if some of YOUR content is ORIGINAL? Would they get you for that? It's kinda ridiculous that George W. would be dumb enough to even break the privacy act just because of IP. People will get jobs if they want, people will buy stuff if they want. To add, SEGA doesn't mind fan games or music but Dub'ya's making sure that they will. And the thought of having my computer scanned by the government just because of some original or edited stuff? One statement I will make: So much for the individual privacy. *sigh*

Knowing my luck this'll be in the UK within a couple of years, oh well another reason to stick with XP.

Oh and for you fellow Peer Guardian users, there IS a Vista Compatible version somewhere but it's a bit buggy.

Come to think of it, when WAS the last time that program updated? (and i mean the program not the lists)