A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

So, how 'bout that DS 3.0?

Serephim

During their Fall Press Conference today, Nintendo have - as expected - announced a new version of the Nintendo DS. Called the Nintendo DSi, it eschews the GBA slot (boo!) in favour of a slight downsizing (it's a little thinner) and a range of improvements. The handheld's screens have been enlarged, and will now be 17% bigger (at 3.25 inches) than those found on the DS Lite. As for the rumoured additions, both have proven to be correct, with "audio enhancements" made to the handheld, while it will also now include a .3 megapixel (640x480) camera. And that's just the start of it.

The DSi also features an SD memory card slot, making it possible to take pictures with the DSi and then view them on the Nintendo Wii. The DSi features a built-in browser, and it's possible to download games and keep them on the DSi.

dsi3.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5057870/nintendo-announce-new-ds-the-nintendo-dsi

Built-In flash memory? Two Cameras? MP3 playback? SD Card Capabilities? Bigger screens?

Well it was nice letting you have a purpose PSP. Too bad it loses the GBA slot, but with all the extra features, homebrew on this baby should be alot more interesting.

Well, i dont have many GBA games to begin with, and they've already announced the ability to download and play games from the Internal memory / SD cards of the DS.

What would be even more kickass is if you can play Snes / Genesis / NES Virtual console titles from your Wii SD card on your DSi, on top of the downloadable GBA games.

Either way, this whole ordeal just SCREAMS Homebrew rape. Hopefully when it hits the states we can see some interesting tricks using the new memory capabilities.

I dont have a DS anyway, so i guess i can be excited. However, i wont be paying $180 for it.

There is already plenty of homebrew on DS via flash-cart... and probably none of it will work on the new model DS due to some hardware fix. Really, if you want to use homebrew to justify a purchase, go with the Lite. Or better yet, an old model PSP. Wii is good too. The Wii homebrew scene is really taking off.

In any event, the screen is barely any bigger contrary to the line of shit Nintendo is feeding about 17%. The camera functionalities are a joke, and I'll even wager that a lot of the exclusive games will possibly be ripped as roms and able to be played on a DSLite... albeit maybe not with all of the camera functionality (could always just put picture on the SD card yourself though)

Why don't they leave the "more than just a game system" nonsense to Sony? They do it far better anyway.

Plus the loss of the GBA slot.

Eh. I think they could integrate the new stuff in a cool and interesting way. Like using one screen to show an opponent's face as you play on WiFi. Throw in voice chat, and there ya go. Then someone shows their penis and ruins the fun for everyone.

Or you could have a silly game where characters get powered up by colors picked up by the camera or some dumb shit. Kids love that stuff.

I'm sure a creative developer will think of something rad to use the new hardware, and we'll all be saying "fuck, I can't play that on the Lite".

Like any of you actually use the fucking GBA slot anymore anyways. Thing sticks out of the Lite like a fucking tumor, and no one is making new games for it. That's like buying a house, but complaining your new home doesn't have a dog house like the old home, even though your dog is a chiuaua.

Once again Nintendo manages to triumph again. Not only have they screwed over the early DS adopters (twice), but over the people who waited for the inevitable DSLite to not get buttraped too! But I'm sure the Nintendo audience will bend over and take in N's tiny penis with joy, like they've always done.

And they're killing the BC? That's what everyone seems to do this generation so it *has* to be cool amirite? Maybe they'll offer a GBA download service to make you buy again the titles you already have in order to play them. Sigh.

I'll stick to my original DS, fatties need love too. Silly Nintendo, if you wanted me to rebuy my existing portable you should've gotten Parasite Eve 3 on it. As things are, I'll be spending my hardware moneys on a Weighed Companion PSP. Besides, I bet they block R4s on that.

Meh, the only GBA games I cared about were Super Robot Wars ones so the slot wouldn't make a difference to me...

Dunno... never cared for anything else... But there are plenty DS games I do like...

Meh, they might as well make this refresh if they want to stay competitive. People will buy it. Especially now that it has OMG camera and such...

I read somewhere that the sound quality is supposed to improve in this model... Problem is, I forgot where that was...

Without the GBA slot, my Supercard SD flash card would be rendered completely useless(which would result in me having to buy an M3, which I'm not going to do). What they should be focusing on is a more sustained touch screen, which doesn't bugger up within a few months of using, and on that note, a calibration feature which actually works instead of going around in goddamn circles.

Speaking of built in browsers... How is the opera browser for DS?

Good for checking e-mails and other simple web pages. Bad for navigating to data-intensive web pages, because it starts lagging like fuck. Adding to that, there's no javascript support(although i hear there is a homebrew being developed that will support javascript and such).