A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Rapid

Blackarms

This game is planned to be released July 15th, 2006, during Blackarms Studios Release Week at Blackarms Studios website, this is for the Summer of Sonic event at Sonic Stadium, and uses the MMF engine to run it.

The following was copied and pasted-

For those that don't know about the event at Sonic Stadium, Sonic Stadium has combined efforts with SEGA to make a flash site were Sonic fan post fan pictures, fan fics, and more for a over-growing site, called "Summer Of Sonic". I am contributing on July 15th with a fan game, "Sonic Rapid". Sonic Rapid takes you through 5 stages that change depedning on what you do. This game will star Sonic as the only playable character (though other characters will appear) and the graphics are retextured genesis graphics done by Nite Shadow and myself. Screenshots are coming at you real soon, and the game is being released July 15th. Here's all the what-not-

Sonic Rapid

Eggman has formed a giant metal tower in the center of South Island, and it's up to Sonic to go across 4 worlds to destroy the guardian robots protecting the keys to the fortress, and then challange Eggman inside his giant tower.

Features

Sonic can use his surroundings to the fullest, and this will be needed to fight Eggman's unmerciful army. The graphics for the stages have are retextured versions of the Genesis stages (thanks to myself and Nite Shadow) and travel between a multitude of paths. The levels change upon what you do, one minute you may be in a canopy of trees, only to find yourself in an illusionfull labyrinth. From time to time, you will also play creative minigames that earn you rights in the game.

Stages

Though there are 5 stages, the interchange a lot depending on what you do, I'll give the first stage of the game as an example-

Leaning Mountain

You start of on top of a giant mountain, lava to avoid and cliffs to maneuver around, but depending on what you do, you may either find yourself on a giant floating ruin where the plant life has gone crazy or you may find yorself in an abandoned mine where Earthquakes are occuring. It all depends on what you do and what paths you take.

These paths encourage replayability and try to make you have a good time playing.

Minigames

Though there is no way to play every minigame your first play through, these minigames are fun distractors, ranging from racing opponets around a multitracked race to delivering chao around to there respective owners.

Final Statement

I'm working very hard on this game, so I hope you enjoy it, and this will be available soon during the summer of Sonic. I am hoping to get it out sometime in July, quite possibly on July 15th, though if I need more time, I will make it.

Here's some more updates from copying and pasting-

Anyways, updates.

The game does have special stages, but these special stages are not for Chaos Emeralds, though I will not reveal what there for for the time, I will tell you it's something special. Also, you get Chaos Emeralds by finding them scattered around the levels.

In there game, what you do suverely supports what happens. For instance, there are multiple endings, in fact, most of the bosses and whatnot in the game are more than 1, so there are many bosses are the paths, for instance, if you choose to go one way, you may fight a totally diferent boss than if you had chosen to go the other route, and when you start the next level that follows the end boss you fought, you will start at a whole different point of the level than if you had taken other routes.

And to explain a bit more, it's sorta' a mix of stuff that I would like to see in a Sonic game (I love the idea of multiple paths, but I think Shadow The Hedgehog could of pulled it off better than "complete the mission". so I decided to make it "what you do is what you get" sorta' game, what you do, where you go, etc, effects what path you'll be taking in the game. Thus, I do want people to be able to play the game in all different ways).

Also, to help some people, I'll be making a FAQ for the game on my site.

Most recently, Gameboy MasterGuru joined our team and has provided some more retextured genesis sprites for the Green Hill zone, Dust Hill zone, and others.

And that's it, uh, comments?

Also, here's a screenshot-

example4lo.png

Wow...good luck doing all that...

"and uses the MMF engine to run it" - built-in platform movement? Bad idea. I don't think that idea belongs in the same post as "have a good time playing."

"you will also play creative minigames"

"ranging from racing opponets around a multitracked race to delivering chao around to there respective owners"

-you might want to take out the word "creative"

I still don't see why most of your game elements revolve around the Shadow the Hedgehog setup, which was a terrible game. Although, I do like your spin on the storyline idea about what you do effects the story, not just completing the mission. That is a good idea, run with that, but I'll not want to play past the first level if you're using built-in platform...they speed and the stop-dead and the annoyance...oi.

Oh, and is that Three60 dude working on this game too? That guy was whiney. Good to see Nite Shdows re-renders used in a game though! I like those.

Do the clouds in the background move? That's a background that has the potential for decent parallax scrolling.

ShadowtH did have an interesting narrative structure, so it will be interesting to see what you do with your ideas. Keeping it down to five zones should make it short enough to justify multiple runthroughs (assuming the changes available to the player do indeed change future events to a reasonable degree). I take it that you're using Genesis music, seeing as you have the hilltop music playing. I personally would rather hear some of the more modern Sonic music, but that's just me.

So, keep the news rolling in, and good luck.

Yeah you might want to stray away from the MMF platform movement, even with the extension it's majorly buggy and usually ends up with complaints, you might want to look into Static or something similar- it'll end up better in the long run.

>_<

I was using the static engine, I mean I was using MMF as the development tool, Static Engine is Sonic's movement engine, and no, Three60 is not working on this game (though he is putting the download up on the site and everything, he has his own fangame to work on).

I hadn't thought of the clouds moving, but I definately could and that sounds to me like a great idea.

Somie music will be old and some will be new. Just to tell you, I personally don't like Hill Top's music.

Looks really nice, the sonic sprite could be a bit more blue, it looks kinda washed out right now, and the blue platform should have some kind of top on it, like grass, or dark blue rock, or whatever, it adds detail and makes it more visually pleasing, but otherwise, great.

The idea of levels changing based on your actions is great, but you need to be careful, make the actions you perform unique to each level, instead of overusing boring "Pick your path" sections, try adding in a level change based off whether you activated a certain switch, then it changes the outcome of the level, like blowing up a factory resulting in an underground level instead of another factory stage.

Really hope to see this develop into a fully fledged fangame, it has great potential

-Flash

Oh, and is that Three60 dude working on this game too? That guy was whiney.

And you're mature for bringing that up again.

Anyway, no, I'm not working on this. I'm doing my own game. But I won't talk about it because this is about Sonic Rapid.

No deliverence? What the hell does that mean? Shut up.

Sorry, Three60...I felt that I had to retort the extreme sarcasm...fine *drop'd*

*truced*

I didnt discourage him, i just said that judging from the 9 paragraph posts he made from his games, i dont think anyone ever saw much progress.

And telling people to shut up is very rude. Dont do it.

At least he's got a screenshot. I mean damn. People always complain about nothing ever being made, yet no one wants platform movement, and everyone wants it to meet such and such requirements. Sure platform movement isn't the smoothest or most fun thing out there to play, but with our total count of... 1 game that I can remember for the year (and it was the 1-level Sonic Next thing). I'll say there are maybe.. 5 other games that have been released recently and that's only because I haven't really been keeping up for months now.

Meh.

Blackarms: Wait till you have screens of the game actually running and not of the MMF environment before posting. You need some grass to cover up that platform, but everything looks pretty cool as far as backgrounds go. The sky is overly awesome... you make it?

I didnt discourage him, i just said that judging from the 9 paragraph posts he made from his games, i dont think anyone ever saw much progress.

Oh...OK...I see what you're saying now. You were saying that I had a nine-paragraph review of his demo (that's exagerrating but whatever) and he never fixed anything mentioned. That's what you were trying to say right? Due to this epiphany, I guess I'll retract said "shut up" that offended you.

Blackarms, I think we'd all like to see your static engine in action soon. Or at least a screen that's not the MMF environment like Scatta said. So far, it sounds like it could be a quickie game with replay value embedded in the storyline, but the engine's gonna make it or break it, so maybe we can give you advice or help on it as you go along, because I definately want to see a game using those re-texturings.

Storyline isn't why people would play more, hopefully if the game is good, the levels will take many different paths. You see, depending on what you do in the first stage (Leaning Mountain) you may end up in a Floating Ruin or a Mine, plus each level splits into many paths. The storyline truthfully is the part I'm focusing on the least.

Sure, I'll release a static engine soon, I based it off a few engines I studied a bit ago.

The screen you posted actually looks intriguing. They way the background art is made is a bit different than what I'm used to seeing, in a good way. However...one thing that I saw that I must comment on...

Storyline isn't why people would play more....The storyline truthfully is the part I'm focusing on the least.

That's fair to say, but the storyline does help you, believe it or not.

The screen you posted actually looks intriguing. They way the background art is made is a bit different than what I'm used to seeing, in a good way. However...one thing that I saw that I must comment on...

That's fair to say, but the storyline does help you, believe it or not.

A bad storyline can POTENTALLY wreck an entire game.

Not making a complex storyline is alright, but just making a horrible one isnt going to work.

You could just do what Sonic Team did and make an entire game with no In-game text at all.