A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Accelerated

Ayling

Yeah, so I have a game again!

This game is what became of Sonic Rush Advance. I've redone the engine and so it should feel different.

Here's a video with horrible quality-

and the site, which is very very basic and incomplete, and may not even work-

http://www.accelteam.co.cc/

And here is the demo-

http://www.accelteam.co.cc/files/Sonic%20Accelerated%20Beta%20P1.zip

or if that's not working...

http://www.smashbrosstadium.co.cc/sonicaccelerated/files/Sonic%20Accelerated%20Beta%20P1.zip

I forgot to mention, X is to use the chaos control.

Err I couldn't get every far is the level at all. But what I saw just was Sonic Worlds and the graphics could use some work. Also the homing attack needs tweaking too it should just shoot you down when no enemies are around because it does that player no good. It should shoot your forward like in SA and SA2.

Not to be condescending, but where do the 33 MB come from? If a 15 second demo is 33 MB, then how big is the final game going to be?

Anyway, pretty interesting homing attack and chaos control mechanic. I can see your home attack is SSBB inspired, but you might want to give a little sound effect recognition when you start so the player doesn't think it's being unresponsive.

im guessing he somehow put the MP3s inside the application.

And luckly Kain pointed out that the Homing was SSBB inspired.

My only complaints? Sonic accelerates far too slow, and im sick and tired of people using that damn Angel Island remix. (although thats personal. It really doesnt work as level music, and it never did. sorry.)

33 MB!?!

BRB, sandwich.

EDIT: The blur file randomly deleted itself, and the Chaos Control move is worthless since it slows down Sonic along with everything else. Try increasing Sonic's movement and animation speeds during Chaos Control to offset the slowing of everything else.

There really isn't much else here to comment on.

33 MB!?!

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

Any filesize under 100MB shouldn't be a big deal by today's standards. My only issue with that size would be that it would be much bigger in the final, though.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

Any filesize under 100MB shouldn't be a big deal by today's standards. My only issue with that size would be that it would be much bigger in the final, though.

For a semi-complete game/demo, maybe, but I only have an 80GB hardrive, myself, and if every fangame demo and engine test was 50MB big, then I wouldn't be able to keep much of a collection. Besides, "X is no big deal by today's standards" is no excuse for unnecessarily excessive use of whatever resources (not entirely directed at this demo specifically, even though 33 MB for 3(?) songs, two of which you only hear for about 10 seconds is rather excessive).

Well, that's true. You've got me there. As long is the game is as optimized as it can be, though, that filesize wouldn't be so bad. But I guess it isn't. No idea. I haven't been able to get either of the mirrors to actually work.

Besides, "X is no big deal by today's standards" is no excuse for unnecessarily excessive use of whatever resources (not entirely directed at this demo specifically, even though 33 MB for 3(?) songs, two of which you only hear for about 10 seconds is rather excessive).

He probably imported a lot more songs than that into the demo and didn't remove them for the .exe is all.

I'm gonna give this a go after the 33 megabytes travels into my hard drive.

Edit: It's not much different from the build you let me see, so I guess I don't really have to comment. One thing I will say though is that blur.bmp is not needed along with the .exe what-so-ever; it's automatically created by the application during runtime as a temporary file only, which is why it deletes itself after playing.

I really appreciate hearing you chewing in the youtube vid.

I'm cracking up so hard right now. Like, actually laughing my ass off. Oh the agony.

As for the filesize problem, Egg Shaped Aliens 2 (whatever that horribly long title I made up was) was originally like 40 megs, but then I went into properties and set the compression level to maximum and checked the compress sounds box and it went down to 7. Try it and see what happens.

Comments after playing:

That tornado effect in the intro is pretty cool. Have to say I really don't get the point of chaos control though, it doesn't seem to help the player. What would be awesome is if you would slow down the rest of the level while Sonic stays moving the same speed, that way Sonic could get through difficult parts of the level easier. You could actually make some interesting gimmicks that way, forcing Sonic to use chaos control to get through the level. An idea to go with that is an item box which refills chaos control, similar to Sonic Heroes' team blast item box.

Also, your resolution is enormous. GBA's resolution is meant to be way smaller than the Genesis', which was already 320x240. Shrink it down!

Looking forward to more. I meant to post in here sooner.