A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

@Smidge

twodee

Guest sonic1991

i quit online games like that after i got a virus from a map hack i downloaded(and i realized i was addicted). does anyone by chance still play diablo 2?

if you want to play something like wow without the monthly cost to play online i would check it out

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shadix
MMO topics always turn so hostile.

If you just ignore anything posted by Sereph this topic is rather chill. GeeDee and I couldn't get into a pointless fight even if we tried to.

Anyways the only reason I asked what server you were on is I'm trying to apply to GM in WoW. I've got some connections with Blizzard employees and one of their offices is in Austin. It's long hours, but honestly, how much better could you get with a day job, sitting in one of your favorite games with 1337 hax equipment while you read thousands of "omg I just ganked" tickets.

touche! However you can broaden that attack to assault the entire genre, nonetheless videogames in general with that logic.

Yeah, thats just about everyone here who dislikes WoW. WoW is just the posterboy for the series and thus takes more heat than any of them. It's a sheer matter of volume.

But maybe you should have realized that before trying to make up hypocrisies to point out.

Oh, but that would be the non-cunt thing to do.

I honestly don't see people spend so much money on WoW. Most MMO games aren't that great. Like Maple Story. Reminds me of an MMO Gaia Online.

"Most" being the keyword here. WoW is that great. I fight the urge to play it, because monthly fees are the devil.

Okay, I don't really care for WoW, but I'll give my reasons:

1) 15 bucks a month. I can afford it, but hell, that's almost the price of a new game. I agree with pretty much what Gamerdude has said. Now I can see paying $5 a month for XBox live or if they made a game like Zelda or Pokemon online, but $15 for a game I don't really care for I can't see.

2) The whole fantasy world thing. I'm pretty much sick of it. I bought Guild Wars, and played it for a week before I got sick of it. Occasionally it's cool, but I've seen it so many times before. Orcs and Elves and Dragons and Mages oh my! I'm really into realistic SciFi more than fantasy. Or Fantasy Scifi like PSO and Star Wars.

3) I have video game ADD. I play a game for a little bit, then move on to something else. I really can't play the same game for more than 30 min. With PSO:BB, I log on, play for 30 min or until I reach a certain goal, and then log off.

Now I'm not dissing the gameplay in any way, I think it's marvelous that a game can create such a vast world and become such a cultural hit, but it's just not my thing.

Guest Shadix

Azu: It's because Warcraft has a rich universe and it's series reaches back to the early 90s. Blizzard is very delicate and precise with everything they do, and won't release something unless it's completely epic and polished, hence why it took 2 years of development to release an expansion pack.

It's still a hit and miss thing though, MMO combat is still pretty boring, so I suppose it's more of a love or hate MMO thing.

2) The whole fantasy world thing. I'm pretty much sick of it. I bought Guild Wars, and played it for a week before I got sick of it. Occasionally it's cool, but I've seen it so many times before. Orcs and Elves and Dragons and Mages oh my! I'm really into realistic SciFi more than fantasy. Or Fantasy Scifi like PSO and Star Wars.

The difference i think between WoW and other fantasy stuff is that WoW keeps everything very cartoony. So all the locations are interesting looking as opposed to everything looking very generic realistic looking fantasy.

Plus, all the gnome and goblin inventions help spice up the fantasy setting by including helicopters and trams and rockets and teleporters and robots and all sorts of other stuff you don't usually see in fantasy.

I ended up getting over the monthly fee thing for the game. However, I hate that I have to cancel my account at the end of each month if I don't happen to have the money at that time. It recharges it at the end of the month, which I think is annoying becuase I'd much rather just buy a month and then have it go out on its own and close the account on its own so i don't have to keep track of it.

also dreanei and tauren are the best

The difference i think between WoW and other fantasy stuff is that WoW keeps everything very cartoony. So all the locations are interesting looking as opposed to everything looking very generic realistic looking fantasy.

Plus, all the gnome and goblin inventions help spice up the fantasy setting by including helicopters and trams and rockets and teleporters and robots and all sorts of other stuff you don't usually see in fantasy.

I ended up getting over the monthly fee thing for the game. However, I hate that I have to cancel my account at the end of each month if I don't happen to have the money at that time. It recharges it at the end of the month, which I think is annoying becuase I'd much rather just buy a month and then have it go out on its own and close the account on its own so i don't have to keep track of it.

Dreanei and Tauren are for homos

Also go buy the fucking prepaid cards then geeeze

Guest Shadix

I freaking love the surrealism.

There are things I miss though. The universe has been getting more and more toned down since Warcraft 2. Warcraft 3 wasn't a pushover by anymeans, but after the Orcs lost all the blooddrenched hugely overdecorated war axes with skulls everywhere and became, eh, quite possibly more the good guys than the humans... I dunno. It's still like that even in WoW though, the humans are very much more corrupt\evil than the peaceful utopian society of Orcs.

I think most of the toning down was caused by the low-polyness of Warcraft 3. The story was not cartoony by any means asides from the ridiculously oversized muscles, but I think the ridiculousness of the models got to the developers after a while.

Actually the "toning down" was the result of Warcraft Adventures being accepted by Blizzard as an essential part of the legitimate canon of the series. In that particular title, it goes over the development of Thrall and a number of other instrumental characters in the whole "shamanistic" development of the orcs in Warcraft.

It didn't have anything to do with art direction of WC3. The causal relationship is as one would expect it to be, with intention influencing art rather than vice versa.

You'd have known that if you'd bought the original collector's edition of Warcraft 3 with it's massive art book chronicling concept art through the generations of the series.

FYI: I love Blizzard RTSs and have been a die-hard fan since WC1.

Guest Shadix

I forgot about that too... I still hate Thrall as he personified the wussiness of the Orcs in WC3 and still does now. That and the freaking Jamaicans trolls. Who's idea was it to even concieve something as atrocious as Warcraft Adventures anyways? It's a shame cancelling it didn't stop it's evil cartoonyness from seaping into the rest of the series.

I was one of the many who were turned off by the monthly payments for WoW, so I've been playing in other ways for awhile.

The benefit is that not only are there no fees, but loot and experience rates are usually much higher. (Which is great for casual gamers like myself, who have no desire to spend 99999999 hours grinding for [Obscure Super Item of the Loser])

The downside is that there are far more glitches and far less players; with the latter a huge downside since half the fun of an MMO is the social/cooperation dynamics.

I was one of the many who were turned off by the monthly payments for WoW, so I've been playing in other ways for awhile.

The benefit is that not only are there no fees, but loot and experience rates are usually much higher. (Which is great for casual gamers like myself, who have no desire to spend 99999999 hours grinding for [Obscure Super Item of the Loser])

The downside is that there are far more glitches and far less players; with the latter a huge downside since half the fun of an MMO is the social/cooperation dynamics.

Dumbass.

Guest Shadix
Thrall is one of the best characters in the game >:o

Pandarans!! (Although now that I think about it I suppose you're right, everyone else is emo by comparison. ARTHASS!)

Speaking of Arthass and kickass Warcraft 2 throwbacks, I think I'm going to roll a Death Knight when the expansion comes out. They are looking freaking awesome right now and much more closer to my thing than Warriors have been.