A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

@Smidge

twodee

Guest Shadix

I'm still trying to figure out why Sereph is posting PSU shit in a WoW topic.

In fact that's what I thought you were quoting at first. :\

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did. Your reasoning makes about as much sense as... oh screw the analogy. You suck.

Hey ila, what's with all the hate? Honestly, I don't see what Sockman did to provoke that. If he wants to play WoW in illegitimate ways, that's his choice. It's no worse than downloading illegal music/videos/games/programs. He even said that he doesn't get the full experience due to lack of players. I also think he has a very good point about grinding. Some people want to be able to play once and awhile and still have the ability to have a decent character. Grinding for an ungodly amount of time so you have do 1 or 2 more DPS is ridiculous. Cut the man some slack, I think he's being quite reasonable with his logic. Heck, WoW without monthly fees is pretty enticing, that's basically the reason I don't play.

I don't even see much reasoning in his post aside from not wanting to pay monthly fees and not wanting to grind. Those two reasons are perfectly legitimate and are the reasons why a lot of people don't play WoW or MMORPG's in general. The only offensive comment I could find was the "Obscure item of the loser", which honestly isn't that bad. I play Guild Wars and grind for items for hours and I laughed when I saw that...loosen up?

Guest Shadix
Its not a matter of loosening up. I'm just done tolerating stupidity and trying to be nice about it.

Well if you desire a more sturdy outlet for stupidity venting, there is always Azu! Just go look at the debate forum...

On Topic: Nothing to talk about due to mod derailment. :\

On Topic: Nothing to talk about due to mod derailment. :\

This topic didn't really have much of a point to begin with. It was just twodee being witty with something in WoW. It sparked into a debate about WoW and other MMO's, but that was never on topic to begin with.

Sockman's just mad because he can't get past Maiden in Kara.

But seriously, I've never 'grinded' for '99999' hours for any item. The fact that you claim that's all the game is shows that you really don't know much about it. Especially since you play on private servers, where half of the quests don't work, and the instances and real content don't work. What you're essentially doing is grinding for more time than any of us legit players have for items that we get for doing one or two simple quests. Who's the ___got now?

Personally, the one time I did play World of Warcraft, I found it to be less than entertaining. On the other hand, I don't think thats because it's a bad game, I just don't think the method it's played in appeals to me as an individual. It's just that I don't like the whole concept of clicking on something and waiting for the next time I need to make a real move (like healing or some kind of skill). It's a lot like the issues I had with Final Fantasy XI.

On a side note, I liked Diablo II (relevant only because I consider it the precursor to the modern MMORPG), but I was never particularly in love with it. In fact, I don't think I ever even got past the third act.

Bump for much needed discussion at the early hours of the morning.

The appeal to WoW for me initially came when Jon (SG) introduced me to it back in August '05. WoW was just under a year old at the time, and I'd been hearing nothing but good things about it. On top of that, I'd always been interested in Warcraft lore since I'd played WC2, and he had a free account lying about for me, so I picked it up. WoW was my first MMO experience following Phantasy Star Online from way back in the day, and given that PSO was mostly "instanced" into small parties and lacked that true MMO mechanic, I really had no idea what I was getting into, but I've been more or less hooked ever since.

WoW is astonishingly simple in its game mechanics-- in fact, it's fairly bare bones compared to many of the RPGs that have been on the market, MMO or otherwise, but it's (I don't care what you nugz say) affordable and easy to pick up. Duckboy also hit the nail on the head: the game has more of a pseudo-fantasy atmosphere than a "ye olde medieval"-fantasy atmosphere. It's hard to explain without getting in-depth, but Blizzard effortlessly blends various types of styles that would usually be considered unique only to a specific genre (like sci-fi, for instance) into one giant fondue pot of eye candy and good gameplay.

The game can wear on you once you've logged enough time into it, and I have consequentially gone on hiatus from the game a few times now, ranging anywhere from 4-8 months, but it has a lingering allure that keeps the game interesting, whether for better or worse. More recently, Blizzard's made accommodations to the casual player for endgame content at level 70, as well as making the grind from 1-60 easier, so it's a great time to pick the game up and start playing if you've ever been interested before.