A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ashura: Dark Reign (3D)

Xaklse

Okaaayy... I know I got all the expansion packs and stuff but when I start the game I get a logo of Ashura for a split second and then this message pops up...

"Your CD key appears to be invalid. You need to reinstall the game and enter your CD key to fix this problem"

My guess is it's because I downloaded the demo of UT2004 and redirected everything... cause I don't know where I can get the full game, without using an actual disk. Ugh going to have to wait for snail mail... The official site doesn't even have a way to purchase it (at least i couldn't find it). These guys need to make, like, a standalone .exc. I'm putting way to much time into this.

Easiest way: get it from Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/13230/

• 1 month later...
Isn't it 2004?

Of course, they even put the UT2004 cover there... And who is that Victor there? -_-

Marble Zone looks good; I was thinking on including it on the extended edition of the Tech Demo but Sky Sanctuary was too much for me already (my first and last map) and I'm not really a mapper.

• 3 months later...

I see an update is needed here, for the sake of bumping this thread, because Ashura: Dark Reign is featured on SAGE and there is new progress.

Shot00292.jpg Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg Untitled-6.jpg

These screenshots belong to a new location in the mod, Angel Island. The map is currently being constructed by Dekrayzis (the only active member of the "team") and it's not 100% based in Sonic3's first level. He has modeled some evil stuff too, you'll see.

• 3 months later...

For the past month Ashura Dark Reign has seen a surge of inspiration; the gathering of old team members contributing ideas and models, and talk of adding new elements to the mod. The mod is still along way from being complete.

Angel Island Redux -screenshots are delicious:

i knew it, this mod never dies, man this and Genesis of Azure Wind (hopping to the guys of that mod finish it already, that was the only reason i have Halo Custom Edition) those screens are awesome, very unleashed visual style, and i think i saw some SU gimmicks in the back, i dunno maybe im wrong, but i want to know if sonic is going to have more shaders on it, because seeing the original UT2004 character models, has some nice shader effects on it, and i think the UT2004 can do wonders (i seen some UT2004 non sonic mods, and has some nice visual on it) because i like the sonic model, maybe you guys has another model planned, but like the sonic doesn't blend too well with those lighting effects on it, i think is more texture related than shaders/lighting effects, but like i said i could be wrong, anyway i like what i see, and i like where this mod is going, keep it up man.

but i want to know if sonic is going to have more shaders on it, because seeing the original UT2004 character models, has some nice shader effects on it...

The Sonic model is still temporary, the same goes for the textures. Obviously it will get an overhaul, I don't know if shaders will be used though.

Do you guys plan to move to the 3rd Unreal Engine now that the SDK is out?

We don't know... yet ;)

There is a big problem about switching to this newer engine; 3D assets and map construction will take longer times and thus we need skilled people to join us, which is rather difficult.

Don't change engines. Just don't. This project is already practically doomed to never finish simply by virtue of being a full length 3D game. Don't do something right now that would make you scrap X-years of progress, even if that progress is patchy with long stretches of nothing and sudden bursts of effort (believe me, they all are).

Fortunately, it's not a drastic change because:

- All code and assets can be easily ported from UT2004 to the UDK.

- There is only a level that needs to be converted.

- Sonic model and animations will be redone anyways.

We also are having problems with the current engine; the lighting model sucks with added static meshes and maps have a limit in size.

Of course the change to the UDK has its downsides and we are unsure about what to do. I'm glad that you got worried though, sometimes I forget that serious people cares about this mod and wants too see it done.