A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Chaotix RPG Sprite Project

Well... I've used Rpg Maker before... and would it really be that hard to create one map and and then talk to one person to go into a battle?

That's all I really want, so I can get a feel for how fast the characters move.

Otherwise don't bother, cause it won't take too long to create the Mighty normal walking sprites to fit in with the other characters.

Although, I must wonder. Because they all have seperate story modes... does that mean you only control one character at a time? i.e no Party? Or will some characters have parties, others not. Like Team Chaotix, Sonic and Tails, Mighty being a loner since he's a traveler. I wouldn't expect bad guys to have a party.

Oh, you meant a test map, yeah I can cook that up for you.

As for the parties thing, peoples parties will change at various times, Sonic will have Tails and Amy at some times but then will change to Sonic, Cream and Knuckles, as an example of course.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

Yay DP! It's unlikely I'll have this test game done today, tommorow is a possibility but no way today. The battle system scripting has ALOT of errors in it so I'm trying to iron those out. I'm also looking into increasing the battle sprite template size from 64x64 to 128x128, that way we can have huge animated bosses YAY!

I decided to register here so expect all updates on Shadow on here(as I'm the one doing him.) The sheet is almost done I just need to make one more sprite. I also tried to do some work on Sonic a bit.

sonicmapnew30ju.png

I combined your first sheet and some of my own edits.

Awesome the bottom sprites are now perfect thanks alot, now all we need to do is fix those bas___d top sprites:no:

I'll update the Sonic link when I get a chance-

Sonic- Sonic-Blitz/ DittronX ok for you?

EDIT- I see you've edited his standing directional pose as well, I like it!

Awesome the bottom sprites are now perfect thanks alot, now all we need to do is fix those bas___d top sprites:no:

I'll update the Sonic link when I get a chance-

Sonic- Sonic-Blitz/ DittronX ok for you?

EDIT- I see you've edited his standing directional pose as well, I like it!

Awesome! I'll see what I can do with the top sprites some other time, but first I want to finish Shadow(I've been putting off finishing the sheet due to laziness and Fullmetal Alchemist, gotta love that series!)

EDIT: Finally I'm with finished Shadow!!

shadowchaotixrpgmap2zr.png

I also did some minor edits to the front Sonic sprites and I think they look a bit better. The problem is with the spines, as the face looks fine.

sonicmapfront6ym.png

Ahh...we don't get FMA here in the UK...

Shadow looks good I'm loving those walking sprites, the only problem I can see is the exact same problem that makes the Sonic forward sprites so dodgy, the head is not an even number of pixels so it looks like it's deformed or something. If you could add an extra pixel in width to both Sonic and Shadow the sprites will perfected.

No, don't add an extra pixel. Just take away one. You know, scrunch it together. Add an extra pixel and he'll have a fat head.

I never though of that...

I'd say theres a 90% chance of me having this test game for Someone2040 in the next few hours. I've got a new battle system (unlike the old crap one I was using) and it allows unlimited movement frames during a battle, only problem is every animation has to the same number of frames, the default is 4, can anyone think of a decent number we could have?

Also this system uses move sprites (hoorah:no: ) extra battle poses required are-

An alternative attack pose (it randomly varies between the two, makes sense)

A low HP pose

Here is an example sheet-

kurea1yn5le.png

DO NOT USE THIS SHEET AS A TEMPLATE!

The sprite sizes are all wrong for the game I'm making, this sheet exists only to show the poses that are required.

I never though of that...

Lol, I never add an extra pixel.

You know the looking forward for the sprites I did? They weren't even either. I just scrunched them together and look how it came out.

I'd say theres a 90% chance of me having this test game for Someone2040 in the next few hours. I've got a new battle system (unlike the old crap one I was using) and it allows unlimited movement frames during a battle, only problem is every animation has to the same number of frames, the default is 4, can anyone think of a decent number we could have?

I know some of you are going to hate me for saying this, but you should use 8. That's how many frames the sprites I use end up having usually. If you think that that's just way too much, use 6.

DO NOT USE THIS SHEET AS A TEMPLATE!

The sprite sizes are all wrong for the game I'm making, this sheet exists only to show the poses that are required.

STOP CHANGING EVERYTHING ON US!!! It's always one way and then it changes to another. OMG, settle on one thing and stick with it plz ty.

Are those sprites in the new correct order, SonicBlitz?

yup, the new animation poses are a nice addition I think.

I know some of you are going to hate me for saying this, but you should use 8. That's how many frames the sprites I use end up having usually. If you think that that's just way too much, use 6.

It'd make for smooth animation, but I'll see what everyone else thinks. Regardless of the fact that you, me Tapika, Someone2040 and Rael (occasionly) are the only ones who post in this topic...

STOP CHANGING EVERYTHING ON US!!! It's always one way and then it changes to another. OMG, settle on one thing and stick with it plz ty.

The old battle system worked incredibly crap and was very laggy, I had no choice but to upgrade, heres a list of unrepairable flaws with the old system-

Death Animation plays whilst using a magic attack.

All sprites are made transcluent for no apparant reason.

Animations occasionly decide to change eg: casting animation whilst attacking.

LLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

No ability to change the sprite sizes or frame limit.

Features the new system has-

Alterations between two normal attack poses for variation.

No lag (yippee!)

Lol, turnbased battles, you can land multiple hits on an oppodent if you have high speed stats.

By changing the idle poses to a weakened one you can see when the enemy is near to it's defeat.

Ability to change frame limits.

I know you hate changes but it's for the best, I'm 100% settled on this system now, so I can (finally) start work on the bulk of the game and not just having to cut out battles because the system was so bad.

Nobody has actually sprited a complete set of battle animations so no-one is effected by this anyway (bar Tapika, but he has a complete Super Sonic sheet anyway so I can't see any problems there)

The old battle system worked incredibly crap and was very laggy, I had no choice but to upgrade, heres a list of unrepairable flaws with the old system-

Death Animation plays whilst using a magic attack.

All sprites are made transcluent for no apparant reason.

Animations occasionly decide to change eg: casting animation whilst attacking.

LLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!! !!!!!!!!!!

No ability to change the sprite sizes or frame limit.

I know you hate changes but it's for the best, I'm 100% settled on this system now, so I can (finally) start work on the bulk of the game and not just having to cut out battles because the system was so bad.

Nobody has actually sprited a complete set of battle animations so no-one is effected by this anyway (bar Tapika, but he has a complete Super Sonic sheet anyway so I can't see any problems there)

I'm aware that you're doing it for the best. ( That, and that last statement had some sarcasm in it ) I just mean if you're going to upgrade, do it before we start designing things. I don't want to have happen what happened to the map sprites again. Also if there's two upgrades and one's better than the other but needs more work, get the better one because you'll end up wanting to get it later anyway.

...ya, I think I'm finished. Sry for that.

I don't want to have happen what happened to the map sprites again.

Yeah, sorry about that, I just ddin't know how awesome RMXP was compared to 2K3. There are so many 2K3 games developing on the SSMB, mine had to be better or it would end up a mediocre game that plays identical to everyone elses.

At least with RMXP you can edit the core scripts and add new ones.

Also if there's two upgrades and one's better than the other but needs more work, get the better one because you'll end up wanting to get it later anyway.

I only just discovered this battle system, I thought the one I was currently using was the only one, and I did ask for someone to repair it multiple times on RMXP.org but no-one would help, at least this system doesn't need repairing.

And like I said before, no-one is really effected by this, Tapika already has a Super Battle sheet (with poses other the ones for this project) on it.

I only just discovered this battle system, I thought the one I was currently using was the only one, and I did ask for someone to repair it multiple times on RMXP.org but no-one would help, at least this system doesn't need repairing.

And like I said before, no-one is really effected by this, Tapika already has a Super Battle sheet (with poses other the ones for this project) on it.

As long as no one's too badly effected, than I have no problem with it.