A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Chaotix RPG Sprite Project

To me, it looks like you unstiffened the left and right arms more, but that's okay. It looks nicer that way. There's still two things that gets me.

vector3.png

See the red arrows? It's not just pointing to those frames, but both animations as a whole. All 8 of those frames have stick-like arms that seem unnatural. If they were to bend a bit away from his body, that would be perfect. Also the arm that is supposed to be moving behind him during his walking animation, the hand is darkened, but not the arm. Don't darken the whole arm on that frame, just the lower part.

Now about the blue arrows. This one is just pointing at the frames. It seems during his walking animation to the left and right, the two frames that are pointed at has his front arm stay in almost the same spot. It should either be behind him or out to the front with the back arm in the opposite position. Right now, it wouldn't look like he's moving at all. The back leg, back foot, back arm, and back hand should be darkened to show it's back there and not to the front. Then correct the positioning of the arms and you're good to go.

Just noticed this. The first two frames of the left and right walking animations have a tail and the other two don't. Are you planning to give all of Vector's frames walking animations? If not, please take them out.

Just noticed this. The first two frames of the left and right walking animations have a tail and the other two don't. Are you planning to give all of Vector's frames walking animations? If not, please take them out.

Wow, what a shame. I simply forgot to put the tail on all frames. And yeah, I intend to make all the frames. I still have to correct the issues you pointed out, though.

EDIT:

vector_corrected.gif

Here's the corrected version. The first and last foward poses are still a bit stiffy, but I think the 2nd and 3rd foward and backward poses are now with more natural left arms, as you suggested, LarkSS.

Looks much more lively with the tail and the walking forward and backward poses look much better as you said. As long as the standing frame for the forward and backward sprite has natural arms like the 2 you did, you won't have to worry too much about the last frame.

Now just fix the sideways sprite and it'll be perfect. Here's just a little example of what needs to be fixed. On the walking to the left animation and the 3rd frame, his front arm is even with his front leg. It really should be opposite so his arm should be sticking forward just like the first frame of the walking left animation. Now the 2nd frame of that animation just needs the same arm from the 3rd frame. After that, add a little shading to the back arms, back hands, back legs, and back feet for the whole animation and it'll be perfect. Then just copy the animation and flip it to get the walking to the right animation.

BTW, the top and bottom animations are in the right order, but the two middle animations are backwards. You put the standing frame last and the middle of the walking frame first. You don't have to worry about that though since I can always put it in the right order after you're done.

Very nice job so far. =)

Sweet, I'm sorry I havn't contributed much/ at all to this project recently, been so swamped with exams and revision... Plus I'm going to Spain for a week on saturday so I won't be able to do anything then...

Although that Sonic artwork I promised a few days ago is almost completed so I'll post that shortly.

I *think* I may have found a name, since the game is focusing quite alot on Metal Sonic what about "Sonic: Iron Clash" or something along those lines?

EDIT- You guys must be so sick of this topic by now...

I'll have something to show for SAGE though, thats a promise.

Sorry...

I was working on my Sonic genesis sprites you saw on MFZ. :/

I was buisy...

Plus, Im moving tommorow!

No problem. I won't be back on SFGHQMB until next saturday (not this saturday coming)

Please can you guys at least try to keep this thread alive. I don't want to have to come back from Spain to bump a topic that has worked it's way to page three...

I'll be working hardcore to get a demo done for SAGE as well. (Although I know for a fact that over 6 Sonic RPGs are in production for SAGE, each (bar 1) using the illegal program RPG Maker 2003, which can't mkae RPG games for peanuts.)

RPG Maker is illegal? I assume you're just bad at jokes.

Well, the program itself is shareware, it's just that it's been cracked and distributed so long that people think it's freeware xD. Also, when distributing a game, you can't use the RTP files, since it's illegal if you haven't paid for them. This doesn't applies to the Runtime, because it's free of license

OMG, I thought it was Freeware too... Good thing I didn't liked it when I tried it and didn't make anything with it.

About keeping the topic alive, I'm not so sure about that since I usually don't have much to say unless its comments to other people's posts. I feel rather bad I haven't touched any of the sprite sheets I was making awhile back either due to the work on a new project. Once it's done though, I'll make sure to put off my other plans to help you out.

OMG, I thought it was Freeware too... Good thing I didn't liked it when I tried it and didn't make anything with it.

About keeping the topic alive, I'm not so sure about that since I usually don't have much to say unless its comments to other people's posts. I feel rather bad I haven't touched any of the sprite sheets I was making awhile back either due to the work on a new project. Once it's done though, I'll make sure to put off my other plans to help you out.

Meh, I'll just be bumping a week dead topic. I'm not too bothered actually.

Take your time on those sheets, quality can't be rushed.

One question before I post the organized version. Did you make the sprites from scratch? If no and you editted it, what was the original maker's name?

Yeah, I did it from scratch, as you can probably see if you pay attention to the earlier versions of the sheet. I used a sheet made by "Zach Zin Furr" as visual reference, but my sheet was not edited using it as a base.

Ryong: I'll take a look at that, thanks. =)

That's awesome, so I should be able to give you full credit.

I was going to give you the sheet in the proper order with a tag, but if you make an edit then I'll have to wait.

BTW, sorry I didn't get it sooner, but I was at the beach all day yesterday. =P

Wow, page 2 in 7 days...

Vector gets a W.I.P as soon as I get home (using my Dad's PC right now), all you have to do is fix the forward and backward head.

When I gte home I have a whole new part of the project for you guys to dig your teeth into (w00t actual map sprites (not characters, ZOMG bracets in a bracets!)) . I want this game to be in Yoshi's Island Advance style, I was playing it the other day and realised just how damned sexy those sprites are.

eh wha...

don't tell me we're changing the style again... especially to a non-sonic related style. Mario styles go well with Mario characters, Sonic styles go well with Sonic characters, there is limited mix-and-matching and I think it'd be best not to delve into that.