A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

TFH Christmas Demo

BlazeHedgehog

Love the graphics all around, especially the badniks, the music is festive and a fun remix of Jingle Bells, and the level design isn't annoying. You have already addressed the demo's problems, so I don't have to repeat shit. I just wish it were longer, as it took me longer to download the game than to play it [/exaggeration].

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I post someone on here, but I must of not of done, so my bad.

You know the bugs, so like Slingerland said, no need to repeat.

I thought it was rather good, but short. (Good things come in small packages) lol'd. It looked very good, it played pretty well, so all in all it was a very good demo. ^^ The graphics were very very nice, by the way, really fit well with the game XD.

Funny actually, I was looking at STFH about a day before you released this. XD;;

Anyway, I overall loved it. Graphics were beautiful and festive, Visually Rich in detail and design, the sound fitted the mood perfectly, but short. That's the only thing I don't like about this demo, it's extremely short, Though I'm sure you have your reasons affiliated with time for that, So I wont go any further on that.

Very nice work, Blaze. Now Hurry your ass up and get us a full fledged demo out. ;D

Incidentally, For those of you who want a super in-depth timeline of TFH's development history, I've written it all up at the Sonic Retro Wiki.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic:_The_Fated_Hour

There's actually some articles regarding SFGHQ, SAGE and fan gaming in general at Sonic Retro that could do with fleshing out, if anybody's interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread about it, I decided I'd just bump the current TFH thread.

While searching for some files on a CD I had, I happened to stumble upon some really, really, really, REALLY old files for The Fated Hour. Circa 2001.

TFH_truckrun.gif

So I am sharing these images with you.

There's actually an engine test, but I think it's too old to work right in MMF2. For some reason I get stuck in the floor and can't move - then a robot rolls up and kills me. Maybe if there was a version of CnC/MMFE we could build it from... I dunno.

Not like it matters, though, because I even recorded video of TFH way back when.

And finally:

tfh_sprite_evolution.gif

I have been doing this way too damn long.

Heh. 2000? Certainly got me beat! An 8-year project! Plus it's certainly a better engine than my earlier stuff.

Also, nice:

The engine status was back when I first figured out how to do my own framerate counter. If it was running at a low framerate it would either be "Medium" (yellow text) or "Bad" (red text).

I locked it to "Good" because to record that video, I had to use the screen capture object to take a screenshot every frame (and then later paste them in video program to make an AVI). This really, really hit the framerate hard (that version of TFH was made on a 266mhz PC), which is why the time goes all bonkers and speed shoes only lasts for a few seconds.

Back then, though? That video you see there was cutting edge stuff. TFH was one of the first fangames to come up with a smooth work-around for "stop dead". Back then everybody used CnC platform movement and it was garbage. DM Ashura suggested to me a concept that became probably one of the earliest attempts at SFGHQ to implement sensors. You can see the sensors on Sonic's sprite when the video first starts.

This is wrong, I started working on Sonic Worlds late 2006 xD After MMF2 was released.

No, there was a version for MMF 1.5. The one I use with Sonic 2k6 2D, and the same one Sonic XG used to run off of.

It wasn't called Sonic Worlds back then, though. It was just some Sonic engine you (and probably a couple other people? I think ParaDoX or whoever was working on it too?) were messing around with.

It wasn't until MMF2 that it officially got the name "Sonic Worlds".

TFH was best known for it's major plot point in which Tails died in the first ten minutes.

Hehe...Tails certainly has it coming, the prick.

I was certainly considering killing off the guy myself, but in my game I ended up killing Amy instead.

In the opening cutscenes of Sonic Blitz, Amy dies (awesomely) within the first thirty seconds of the game

It's about time we give Sonic Team's crappy characters what's coming.

Yet still wrong Blaze. I started working on that engine after MMF2 was released, since the MMF1.5 engine was outdated and my coding skills were improved with the years, so I first made it in MMF2. However, seeing many people didn't have MMF2 back then, I decided to port it to MMF1.5, and so I did. Remade all the objects, events and stuff in MMF but never actually released it. Eventually, that engine ended up being the Sonic Worlds engine (even though it's been considerably rewritten since then).

I'm actually amazed you're still plodding away at this, Blaze.

I mean, jesus christ. I actually remember the image you posted where you were planning on a darkness level, where the character had a torch. Then it became a bit more RPG.

This is obviously supposed to be as close to the original as possible?

(PS - SONY 4 LiFE!!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I come to this site again for my yearly visit and I see that TFH still lives.. awesome. Reading through the history was interesting, it got me wanting to play some of those old demos... so I did. Fun stuff! I found a lot of old fangame stuff in the dark depths of my computer, I've probably deleted quite a few builds of this but I still have a large number of them. Hmm, just for kicks, I think that I'll list what I've got, I'll try to do it roughly chronologically, I'll hide the list as it probably isn't of much interest to anyone, but wow this game has been going on for a long time!

TFH Stuff That I Seem To Still Have:

sonicfatedhour.exe

- SONIC: The Fated Hour, has intro, no actual gameplay

bplayer.exe

- "Blaze Player" along with the files THE.AVI and thevideo.bvf

tfhenginebeta(v0_891).exe

- Chemical Plant Zone Engine Test

tfhbetav0_899_mmf.exe

- Chemical Plant Zone Engine Test

TFHengineBeta(v0_9).cca

- unprotected cca of TFH Chemical Plant zone engine test

TFHfinalbeta(v0_999).exe

- Chemical Plant Zone Engine Test with intro

tfh3d.exe

- Fake joke demo.. "Yamauchi! - Reboot!"

TFHGHZ.exe

-"SONIC: THE FATED HOUR NEW ENGINE TEST SONIC 10TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION GREEN HILL ZONE" - Includes City Escape Bonus Level

TFHGHZv2.exe

-"SONIC: THE FATED HOUR NEW ENGINE TEST SONIC 10TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION GREEN HILL ZONE" - V2 - No City Escape Level

TFHdemo.exe

- A Sage demo, features an intro with the infamous, "Text Box" part of the intro. This is now the more adventure style being implemented

tfhcutscene_player.exe

- Opens and plays *.cnn files

tfh_final14.exe

- engine test in small area with lots of items

tfh_final15.exe

- engine test in small area with lots of items

tfh-game-MMFe.exe

- Sage demo, new intro, According to the readme file: "Sonic: The Fated Hour Demo v1.5 | Date: Sept 17th 2002 7:14pm"

tfh_demo_1_5.exe

- According to the readme file - "Sonic: The Fated Hour Demo v2.5 | Date: March 1st 2003 8:01am"

tfh_tech.avi

- Video of "The Test Zone - Act 3", engine test video

tfh_engtest.exe

- "The Test Zone" an engine test, large area, lots of items

I should probably get back on topic, sorry. So as for this Christmas Beta, well, it being the first thing that I've downloaded in quite a long time now I'm not really familiar with the current standard of fangames and it sounds like this Sonic Worlds thing is quite a leap up. Anyway it plays really well and it looks quite amazing, I really do love the graphical style used, great work!

Oh and I can't resist taking a screenshot to bring up some old memories, so I hardly think that a history is complete without this:

TFHTB.jpg

Are you a different username than you were back in the day, Boodles? My long term memory isn't the best, and I'm having trouble remembering you.

While we're at it, though, any chance you'd be willing to put those TFH files of yours up on Sendspace or something? Even if my old HDD still works, it's a maze of files and I'd never be able to find half of what you seem to have. :o

Yeah, I don't think that I used to visit here under Boodles, umm, I think that I have used a few names in the past... I think that here I used the name Buduls a bit. Anyway I was quite a lurker, not posting all that often, and I never went on IRC or anything like that so it doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't remember me anyway. So, I have sent you an email via this board with a link to what I've uploaded... I can't seem to use the PM function until I post more, which I really don't plan to.