A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Lessons about life: Rocks make water level rise.

Blue Frenzy

Rael0505: yes
Rael0505: i loved the rocks
Rael0505: where you had to move it so you could spindash it
Rael0505: if you want to make a better effect
Rael0505: when the rock falls in the water, raise the water level a little bit
Rael0505: what do you think?
The blue frenzy: oh
The blue frenzy: like in the real word
The blue frenzy: world
Rael0505: ya dude
Rael0505: just for effect
The blue frenzy: you throw a rock to the sea
The blue frenzy: and the water level increases half meter
Rael0505: and the ocean gets bigger
Rael0505: yes
Rael0505: it's how we can solve our water problems
Rael0505: we just need to throw rocks in the ocean
The blue frenzy: yeah
Rael0505: yeah
The blue frenzy: i now understand why people is worried about ice melting

omgds5.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, isn't it the weight of the object that matters, not the volume? An ice cube floating displaces the same amount of water as the same water melted added in. Despite the fact that water crystallizes and expands as it freezes. Cause of Archimedes' Principle.

Of course, if the object is so dense it sinks, you're sort of wasting weight, so to speak.

Actually, isn't it the weight of the object that matters, not the volume? An ice cube floating displaces the same amount of water as the same water melted added in. Despite the fact that water crystallizes and expands as it freezes. Cause of Archimedes' Principle.

Of course, if the object is so dense it sinks, you're sort of wasting weight, so to speak.

It's not mass, it's density - the ratio of mass and volume. If you want to maximize water displacement, you need to maximize volume while keeping density higher than water so the object isn't floating.

Ice floats because it has a lower density than liquid water. If I take 1 gram of water and freeze it, it still weights 1 gram... so I put it in water and it displaces one gram of LIQUID water - the force of gravity on the 1 gram of ice and 1 gram of displaced water balance out. If you melt the ice, you're adding 1 gram of water so of course the level will rise the same amount.

The key is that the ice is not COMPLETELY underwater. Some small portion is above the surface, and the volume of this portion is not displacing any water. That's why, if you want maximum displacement, you want it as close to the density of water as possible but slightly more so it doesn't float.

When an object is placed in a liquid, it will displace either it's own volume of that liquid (if more dense or equally dense) or displace a volume of liquid equivalent to it's own weight (if less dense).

Example: A Nimitz class aircraft carrier is made of approximately 100,000 tons of steel, it displaces 100,000 tons of water, but doesn't sink. This is because if you divide the mass of the ship by the volume of the ship, you get a density that's less than 64 pounds per cubic foot (the density of seawater).

This:

ussnimitzinvictoriacanabf0.jpg

Is less dense than water, just like the ice cube.

=Smidge=

@ Smidge: I guess it's the way you used "maximized" that confused me. Since I didn't see anything that was fixed, I fixed my own variables. I read what you said as "to maximize the displacement of a set mass, you maximize volume such that it's barely not floating." Rather than maximizing displacement of a set mass while minimizing volume, which is my understanding of what you're doing (or some equivalent ratio).

Floating Platforms rise as a result of raised water level which allow you to get across the top of said water.

Oh god, this just finished the mechanism I was going to use for that gimmick design. The only thing I hadn't figured out was what exactly triggered the water rising.

I'm gonna use some sort of idea like this.

I'm offended by your sig, Shadix. I wasn't that clueless, was I? =P

Sortof, the real redsonic was though.

Rael: It's because we lack creativity...