A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Phantasy Star Universe: AoI

ila

Okay, I have to get ready for work soon, so I'll just flat out ask: anybody playing Phantasy Star Universe and its expansion? the expansion actually made the game just enough like Blue Burst for me to actually enjoy playing it now.

and yes, I'm using "acquired" copies to play on my PC, and there is a subscription, but its well worth it. Hell I might even buy a month subscription for someone just to get them online.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the fuck Ila, i was SECONDS from making this topic myself.

Literately.

As for the expansion, YES if you partially enjoyed the original than this is definitely worth buying.

I played the online mode of the original. It had its flaws, but overall i enjoyed it a bit more than Blue Burst after accepting the changes made from its PSO counterpart.

I bought the expansion on PS2 (i will definately aquire it on PC as well), and i am DAMN impressed.

Click spoiler for details ;)

For starters, Extra Mode is basically Storymode, and Storymode is nothing more than the Episode 2 missions available in the Online mode from PSU vanilla with a few really good CG scenes added in.

Ill just get it out the way that Episode 2 was grades and oodles better than PSUv1 Storymode, even WITH the voiced cut scenes that Episode 2 lacked. (Ep2 had WAY better mission objectives and the storyline flows way better, aside from the long parse of missions that was one chapter from V1.)

Offline, they've actually given you C/B/A/ level missions like the online mode, they give you pretty much every clothing set to unlock that was available ONLINE from PSUv1, They have TONS more content availiable offline than previously before, almost as much as the online missions have with increased drop rates.

As for gameplay changes, the addition of Just Attack and Just Counter really, really make this game less repetitive. In case you dont know, Just attack is basically an answer to people complaining about button mashing. If you time the attack animation correctly before the next swing, the next hit is a guarnteed critical, granted its not blocked. So basically you can still button mash, but the added damage from the combo is useful enough to actually use the orginal combo now.

Not to mention Photon Art Combos also apply, so if you do it right you can have every hit in your photon art deal critical damage. (Extremely fun.)

Normal attacks also regenerate PP on your weapon now, and Charged attacks regain even more. Yet another reason to use your normal combo.

elemental Percentage equation has been rebalanced. All weapons have been made stronger, But Elemental Percentages no longer break the game. (50% elemental A-rank weapon out damaging an S-rank.

the 3 new classes are pretty neat. The Acro classes actually get different, faster attacking animations for certian weapons, and the acrotecher class casts spells faster than the normal Force classes.

Not to mention the Skill/PA level limit has been increased to 50. (Fortechers have a reason to exist now. Level 31+/41+ technics are eye candy.)

A few cosmetic changes have been made as well, espically to the Photon Art effects. (No more rainbow colors. Color of the effect indicates the level/intensity of the skill.)

And to top it off, the new clothing sets/weapons/drop rates/photon arts/ levels and bosses are effing awesome. (And for all the PSO fans, they've added in all the class outfits from the orginal PSO.)

Ill just put this out there, from what ive heard from the PSO-World community, the 360 and PC versions have seriously, seriously gotten a performance upgrade. The 360 version players say the game looks tons better, and from what ive seen on PC the game looks more like it should. People also say its alot easier to run this game, as they can set their specs higher and not have to rape their framerate now without melting their graphics card.

Edit:

Buy me a subscription, ill definitely use it ;)

For a long time it just didn't seem to have enough content. :\

Looking still I doubt this will make PSU a perfect game, but with all the ressurected PSO areas and alot of new content, this might be worth checking out.

This game runs circles around PSOBB in every aspect aside from Music and in rare situations, Level design (Ep4 Subterranean stages had awesome level design. But thats just about it.)

BTW, i just fought the De Rol Le (giant worm boss, Caves PSO) remake on an offline mission ive just unlocked, and i can confirm that boss is the most epic boss in the entire game. (Although hes way too easy offline.)

I already have an account, but what the heck.

Anyway, Spoiler tag has pics of my character in the 2 months i was online. (Im reactivating this month, but i canceled back in august for school.)

Inurbase.png

Me in my room

Uselessdropz.png

Me and a friend (kiten*) after a neudaiz boss. Killed me when i found out how useless that drop i got was. (Room Decoration material)

sylph1.jpg

Posing on Fortecher which is now mine after sister got bored. (Fortechers are hard to play, but man their fun.)

CREATOR.png

im sexy (All those damn Jao decorations are from me trying to obtain the Kitty Claws during the Firebreak event. I never got them, but on the last day of the event i actually found a Puyoment Aura. I lol'ed and my team hated me for it.)

Anyone else who plays should post their character, just because.

Not to mention the first month has 2 added weeks.

And im so happy this time around that online characters and offline characters are seperate.

That broke PSO so badly it isnt even funny. And in PSU, the offline characters would kick the online characters asses (well, to an extent. They have really unfair weapon distribution, but Online weapons/PA stat curves are alot higher.)

So, i just finshed EP.2 offline, and i feel it was definately worth the extra $20 dollars i paid for the PS2 version. It was FAR more epic than the garbage storymode PSUv.1 had, and it had about 90% less cinematics and no motion capture cutscenes at all. I cant wait to play Ep.3.

I unlocked S-rank missions for all the free missions offline, Scarred Planet and White Beast missions (both new AoI maps), and a S H I T load of clothing. It seems like its so many that i may have all the clothing content in the entire game, and if there is more thats not on the offline version than SHIT this game added alot of clothing.

I get to buy really good S-rank weapons now (De Ragan Slayer), and best of all they included the new AoI PAs in the shop to buy.

Cross Hurricane is awesome.

TRD: playsega.com

psu20071202_040523_000copy.png

3rd character is the current one that I started a few days ago. The other two are old characters from when I played for a week when PSU first came out and PC0 or someone was trying to convince me it was fun.

psu20071202_040554_001copy.png

Guess who inspired this character?

psu20071202_040625_002copy.png

Seriously, guess.

psu20071202_040703_003copy.png

Meh... I guess most of the good stuff is online... I'm already hating it in offline mode... Just as irritating, just as repetitive, just as button smashey... Honestly I have yet to see what the draw has been to this game. Even without thinking of this as a degraded PSO I still can't find it fun :(.

Are you playing the orginal or the expansion offline mode..?

I cant even play PSO anymore. Its damn boring now.

expansion, elsewise I wouldn't have posted >.>