A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Help] Advanced/Battle style implemation

Sockman

Take the original, sub in advance sprites. Make sure the feet are on the ground. No need for Resizing.

I never resized or any of that. I did just what you said, except I moved the hotspot of the round Player object to the bottom so Sonic's feet were always on the ground. I then changed the offset of the sensors to compensate for the pixel change (I think it was 13 pixels up or something)

In this http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=505&d=1191995899 example you can see how my sensors are placed.

P.S. I forgot to say, I'm not using worlds, I'm using more simple and understandable engine. But Worlds and those Dami engine are very well compatable, so I'm pretty sure that worlds is using the same sensor-placing algoritm.

Whenever I worked with advance sprites (granted it's been a long time), I always used a radius of 9 or 10, whereas I use a radius of 12 for genesis sprites. It's not a tremendous difference for the player, but then again, it's not a tremendous difference in implementation. Other than lowering the distance the up/down/left/right/etc sprites are moved away, and replacing the main masks (probably both a circle and a square/rectangle one), the only other thing you'd have to worry about is the distance away from the center that you check for slopes. It'd be bad if that distance exceeded the radius.

You can probably get away with just changing the sprite offset, you'll just stop slightly away from walls.