A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

How to make Sonic look up and down?

True Blue

Just for the heck of it, could someone explain to me the theory of making the character look up and down with the animations and all?

I've taken a look at the program, and it's kinda hard to understand. I think I need someone to assist me on this...

And in case anyone can help me, I feel the need of having some kind of guide. I always worked very well with them. It's easier to understand them, than just looking at the engine's events, you know? A guide of how to make a Sonic game with several programs, MMF2 in my case. One that teaches us the basics, and then tells us how to upgrade. But needs to be understanding for everyone. I'm very rookie, so I'd need one. Now there needs to be someone wiling to make one.

73ae65adab2062db41e7f89fe28cfb8c.gif

You want a tutorial so that the action you desire is done FOR you. You don't want help, you just don't want to do it yourself.

You just don't want to do it yourself.

I think you're right, Slingerland.

What Spike said can be applied both in GM and MMF due to the simplicity, and it's really easy.

I'll make a quick tut with an easy method later. (Don't expect it soon since I pay to use internet in a store).

you have to make an object only to the scrooling, then you make events like this:

-if counter scrooling is 0.

.Set scrooling object at 0,0 on mask.

if you are pressing up then

set y of y of scrooling object = 1

set counter scrooling to 1

set sonic anim to lookup.

if you arent pressing up and his y of y pos is greater then 0

set y of y = -1

if you arent pressing and y of y pos scrool obj is 0.

set scrooling counter to 0

I havent tested it yet but one day I made something like this.

*It is also better to make a counter to represent scrooling objects y of y.

gsoft, I already mentioned I was making a tutorial. =P ( which is done already, just gonna make a topic in the submission forum for it real quick ( TRD, get over there now ) )

Edit:

Tutorial

I can't believe this took 3 and a half hours to do, but I guess it's my fault for wanting it to be bug free and have a lot of fancy extras. =P

I added in how to do it with Actions and whatnot just like you wanted too Trueblue.

Do you guys think I should quit from doing the engine from scratch, and should start using Sonic Worlds, replacing the sprites by my own, like I see some people doing in the screenshots thread topic? They're focusing mostly in the creative part.

Thanks for the tutorial, anyway.

I'll try not to be too cautious, and start exploring the stuff myself.

And I'm not being lazy. I'm just getting bored with the lack of knowledge to make a fangame. But then again, I'm bored with everything about this right now. I don't know if I should make the cutscenes in Flash or MMF2, or if I should just put them in comic book style. As well as I don't know if I should just try to make the engine from scratch, or use Sonic Worlds. Sprites are the only thing I've been making right lately.

About using Sonic Worlds or making the engine from scratch, I'm afraid I don't know what I'm doing around Worlds, and I end up in a bottomless pit, where I don't know what does what. I'd just be changing the sprites... I have the hope of starting to understand the Worlds engine as soon as I start trying to add new characters to it, or a level end, or something.

What do you think?

EDIT: Thanks for the tutorial, LarkSS. I'm looking at it right now. I just hope I learn something.

OK.

I'm also concerned about one thing. I may want to change a few things to make them more comfortable to me, like Sonic's acceleration, or background method. What if I don't exactly know how to change something? May I ask? I've looked around Worlds, and I always get confused about what does exactly what. And Sonic Worlds has Sonic's animations too far away from Sonic's movements.

EDIT: I'll continue to think if I use Worlds, or make the engine from scratch. Either way, thanks for the tutorial, LarkSS. Now, if I decide not to use Worlds, I don't think I really want to make it from scratch. I may make it really from scratch (I see something here, and I copy it to my game), or I just copy-paste some things. One thing is for sure. I have good creative ideas I'd like to show, and even if I don't get credit for the engine, the backgrounds or the sprites (the ones I customize) will be what I really want to be credited for.

I'll be measuring the tow sides. And thanks again for the tutorial, LarkSS. It may even help me to understand some other things. :)

Ok, if you have little to no knowledge on how MMF(2) works, then you're best bet is to go with an already made engine and not make an engine from scratch until you gain more experience. Worlds might be best for you, since you can't figure out how to do camera scrooling scrolling, even with the help of tutorials, it's already in there.

Do I need to know anything to avoid violating copyrights?

What copyright? Worlds is an open-source engine, anyone can use it provided that they give credit to those who worked on it.

If you have questions about worlds, there's a forum right above this one just for that.

Ok, if you have little to no knowledge on how MMF(2) works, then you're best bet is to go with an already made engine and not make an engine from scratch until you gain more experience. Worlds might be best for you, since you can't figure out how to do camera scrooling scrolling, even with the help of tutorials, it's already in there.

What copyright? Worlds is an open-source engine, anyone can use it provided that they give credit to those who worked on it.

If you have questions about worlds, there's a forum right above this one just for that.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I also think that using Worlds now may give me more experience for the future. I'll keep thinking about it.

It's not that I can't understand even with the help of tutorials. The thing is that being disoriented, and afraid of messing up more than already is and not understanding some terms like "slopes" or "strings" (for example), makes me feel kinda lazy, but not intended. Lazy or bored, wanting to make sprites instead.

The way to be able to ask questions about Sonic Worlds is making a topic about my question in the Sonic Words sub-forum (we enter the Sonic Worlds link, and we find lots of topics, most of them with doubts)? Is that the place qhere I can ask things about the engine? And what about what Spike has been saying? The risk of getting banned?

And what about what Spike has been saying? The risk of getting banned?
Spike was obviously kidding True blue. xD

and yes, you can make a topic in the Sonic worlds forum if it relevant to the Sonic worlds engine, like engine help, question etc.

OK, thanks a lot. :)

Right now, I'll see if I can just use Sonic Worlds to make my game, and will try to find the right triggers and events to build and edit it as needed.

The reason why I don't quite understand tutorials is that I'm already using (or trying) other events, and switching them with new ones could change my already established settings. Or I could not know what exactly to replace, and that would eliminate the established controls. And since I'm a newbie...

But I'll try to learn more stuff through Worlds, while I replace the sprites, and ask some things in the Sonic Worlds forum.

No, it's absolutely not allowed to ask for help with Worlds. In fact, it results on a perma-ban.

Seriously, what makes you think that you aren't allowed to ask for help in only one engine?

Wasn't this sentence a clear giveaway that I was being sarasctic?