A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SFGHQ Demographic Census?

I came up with this idea...

We could run a Demographic Census, covering general subjects like:

• Continent
  • Mother Tongue(maybe could be grouped by the language families)
  • Etnic Group

And more fangaming-specific subjects like:

• Number of completed fangames
  • Fangiming speciality(like graphics, coding, music...)

And many others.

When it was ready, we could create cool graphics and all sort of interesting statistics.

It could happen once an year... And could be made by creating a "locked" forum, full of polls, by using some sort of built-in functionality of vBulletin (I don't really know what can it do), by using a vB hack or by using on an external website (I wouldn't recommend this method... since people would be able to get in twice, or not registred people would be able to get in).

What do you think?

EDIT: I'm not saying to start it now. Let's decide about how/when to do it first, and get admin approval, to make it more official.

I want we to first decide what fields to include. We can surely add a lot more of interesting/important information.

The fields's possible values should also be determined... Or else we're going to get 30 different words for the same thing. We need to set an initial and final date... And wait for everyone to get registered at the new forums.

BTW, since when United States is a continent?!

• name
  • race/ethnic origin
  • qualifications
  • hobbies
  • skills (game related)
  • Team(s)
  • Projects
  • Websites
  • Tools of the trade (e.g software)

just your average census questions, plus a few SFGHQ related ones...

Hmm... We could also addthe skin currently beeing used in the forum(maybe wait for the new one.)

I have many, many objections to the collection of personal information. Topics like this should not exist.

That's why I wanted to run it on polls. Then it can be anonymous. I didn't want to people post it where everyone can see.

The Census' statistics are released anonymously. But to really be a "Census", I'd think it'd have to be manditory or something. Anyway, it'd be kind of neat to see statistics of what skills, fangaming history, and experience people have, but I don't see the use of personal information like race and such.

Personally I have no problem giving out my race. I mean we have those little picture threads (which I actually thought were against the rules.. but no one tells me anything ftw), and I mean I post my picture and you all can SEE that I'm black. So I mean, what harm is going to do me if I say I'm West Indian.

oop.

Sex: yes plz

Continent: North America

Mother Tongue: English

Ethnic Group: Cracker

Number of completed fangames: none

Fangiming speciality: Level background, level design, some programming, music, and beta testing if that counts.

Personally I have no problem giving out my race. I mean we have those little picture threads (which I actually thought were against the rules.. but no one tells me anything ftw), and I mean I post my picture and you all can SEE that I'm black. So I mean, what harm is going to do me if I say I'm West Indian.

oop.

Uh, okay. But are you really comfortable giving out your real name, photo, age, and where you live? The problem with the internet is that information never really goes away.

Even the slightest bit of information can make you vulnerable to some form of identity theft, or worse. Not wanting to be responsible (morally, if not legally) for anytihng that might happen, if I am in a position to save you from your own stupidity I feel compelled to do so.

Henceforth, this shall become the first locked topic of the new forum.

=Smidge=