A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Anyone here use Windows Vista?

Spike

I'm going to go buy a new laptop tonight, but the downside is that every single model at the store uses Vista. I don't want to delete the OS and install Xp, either, because that would void the warranty. If I want a new PC, I guess I'm stuck with it. So, what is your input on it?

I know that I tried it on a friend's computer once and hated it. There were little things like being unable to create folders anywhere you want. Was he just an idiot and never used the admin account?

The security and all the administration rights and bullshit are fucking annoying. It could be this is only present in Ultimate. But it took me a while to turn all this crap off.

But beyond that, I'm not having any problems with software or anything. Well, except some Game Maker games. But that's about it.

System requirements scare me off. I don't really like the idea of my operating system taking up a good deal of the system resources just from running its sleek appearance. I've heard good enough things about it, but I'm plenty happy with XP. If you have a nice new system, Vista's probably gonna suit you fine, though.

Got my new laptop an hour ago. Here is some suff

Acer Aspire 5610-2762

Intel pentium dual processor (1.73 GHz)

Intel graphics accelerator

2GB of RAM

Also, 15 inch widescreen, DVD burner, built in webcam, mic, and wireless, and a 160GB hard drive. Best 700 bucks I have ever spent.

Anywho, Vista is running perfectly. It's pretty close to XP from what I have seen so far. A little more restricted, but not too much. I think I can work with it.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

tl;dr: remember Sony's rootkits? Vista comes with some of those standard. Avoid it like the plague. Warranties are a joke anyway.

Windows... LOL

Pretty much. I'm waiting for the world to realize what a terrible hacked-together piece of spaghetti code Windows is, and move on to cleaner, more sensible programs and operating systems (I'm not talking about Mac, though it would at least be a start). Microsoft is clearly in bed with Hollywood and couldn't give two shits about its customers at this point, since their monopoly position in the industry guarantees that they can just threaten to cut off the OEMs that don't conform to their will, forcing the consumers to buy whatever Microsoft wants them to buy. It's a damn shame gamers, "familiars," and the like are tied to such an obsolete system when there are much better alternatives widely (and freely) available. Sadly, Microsoft does what it can to damage the computer/gaming industry unless the industry does what it wants it to. I certainly do commend WINE for the tremendous progress it has made in implementing the Windows and Direct X APIs on UNIX-based systems (GNU/Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X, etc.), which helps to bridge the gap created by these business practices. It is very well done when you consider what an overwhelming task it is, and they have a great many complicated programs and games working flawlessly or near-flawlessly.

But yeah, fuck Windows. Fuck Vista even more though. If you can help it, stay on XP. Vista is a step in the wrong direction.

i would find linux to be a much more viable operating system if it actually had the ease of use everybody claims :( i would like my internet to WORK without so much ridiculous hassle that would be impossible to accomplish for any new user without spending days on a forum trying to fix :(

The thing is, it does have this ease of use. It's easier, even, and more sensible in design. The hardware problems you have had are a result of the problem I mentioned before; Microsoft makes sure vendors don't support Linux so they can remain dominant. Working around these problems is possible, and it's what we've been doing, but it takes time. Windows is a bitch to set up if you're missing drivers too, and even moreso, since much of it is undocumented or uncleanly implemented (and it is allowed to be that way thanks to its closed-source nature).

Or did you just read "Oh, Lightning mentioned Linux again, time to skip reading his post and whine about my own problems" =P

only partly.

But the fact is that we both know I've purchased some much older hardware that should definitely have been 'worked around' by now, so to speak, but we still have big issues with it :(

I do think Linux could be 'the future' like everybody says and I think it's getting there, but until it's possible to use without users having to learn to fuck around in the terminal, it never will be ;(

My new Asus R1F runs Vista Business and I love it a lot more than I ever liked Windows XP. After hearing people diss on Vista right and left I was expecting a suckfest but I was overwhelmed by how awesome it's been so far. I don't really care for IE7 much, though- I wish it were a bit more like Firefox, but that doesn't really matter.

Edit: I don't feel like arguing about operating systems, please. Just a heads up.