A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Realtime 3d Stuff] Super Mario Galaxy/Wii Shading

Mark the Echidna

I don't think the polycount is the problem. I think the way its done on Wii might actually be in hardware. If I recall correctly, ATi made a number of preprogrammed shaders for the chip. That isn't to say that the chip can do shader language... just that it has some premade algorithms to do similar effects.

O:

Traitor! ;___;

Didn't say it was bad, now did I?

I don't think the polycount is the problem. I think the way its done on Wii might actually be in hardware. If I recall correctly, ATi made a number of preprogrammed shaders for the chip. That isn't to say that the chip can do shader language... just that it has some premade algorithms to do similar effects.

Problem? It's fine as is, I'm merely suggesting this falloff (it's related to falloff maps, no? looks like that to me) shader would benefit from rounder geometry. And the other way around, since it gives a smooth-like appearance. Win-win situation right thar.

EDIT: As a side note, merging the legs with the body piece, if doable, would be pretty awesome (shader would have continuity between both parts). But that'd require a new rig/animations = extra work D: