A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Chao World 2 Review

SonicProject

Well, since I can't submit my review, I wanted to get your thoughts on my writing so writing it wasn't in vain.

Chao World is a simple platformer that puts the player in control of a chao who is desperate to earn its wings so that it may fly. The player is armed with a killer jump and fruit that he or she can collect in each stage and shoot at the enemy and various obstacles in his or her path. The object of each stage is to obtain the key and progress to the next while collecting all sorts of treasure between the beginning and the exit.

Full review.

So far I've played up to the beginning of the second zone.

It lives up to its intentions, not particularly excelling at any one thing, but staying solid in what it does. Its not a particularly exciting game, even during the boss fight that I've done (which I do have to say was rather underwhelming, perhaps too short after the length of the stages, owing in large part to the almost obscene slowness of the chao). Probably the highlight of the first zone was the special stage, which does do well to pick up on the effects and overall excitement.

There are some annoying mechanical problems... Namely jumping on two enemies at once swaps the gravity for the first, but not the position, so you end up getting hurt when you should probably instead be killing both enemies. This could be easily fixed by applying the bounce after the frame is over instead of between popping the enemies. Also, while not technically a glitch, getting hit in this game is like Sonic Heroes. If you are in any kind of precarious situation where position actually matters for the purpose of living or dying, you can kiss your ass goodbye.

Good as a stress reliever, and a nice example of a simple game. I'll have to play more before I decide for certain whether there is any depth to be salvaged from it, but judging from what I've seen in Zone 2 so far... its probably a what you see is what you get puzzle game from the get-go. I imagine fruit will enhance the puzzles a little more, but probably not beyond the concepts seen in games with puzzle elements such as say... Dark Cloud (where everything is just a "I have this, so I can do this" ordeal.

In any event, its a sold experience worth playing. It'll calm you down if nothing else.

The writing and language is good. Your opinions are...opinionated?

Seriously, I don't see the point in critiquing a critique. As long as you sound intelligent and are backing up your statements with valid examples, which you are in this case, there's really nothing else to say.