A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Public groups?

1LT Worm

Will this board support the public groups feature? I'd think it would be interesting to get some interest groups together.

And maybe this would lead to private boards for group members. Maybe it could lead to some very focused and interesting subject material.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I dunno, we the newbie rush come, we may see topics asking to join the "elite" group.

It wouldn't be an elite group. Sure, there might be one of oldbies and other trustworthy individuals who make up a group devoted to deep thought and serious situations. But, there could also be other groups like "C++ Programming Federation" or "Anime Ga Daisuki Club."

EDIT: ___ociation has a potty word.

Yeah, it'd be cool. I think Ty brought up that point when we were planning a board from scratch. It'd be like a Guild system : one for spriters, one for musicians, etc. I'm not sure how it'd be laid out though...perhaps someone(s) "sponsers" it, and thus maintains member flow, discussions, and such?

Having a list of titles, so to speak, in your profile is fine (actually, I quite like the idea). But seperating and isolating discussions like C++ and such seems counterproductive. I don't really like the private board idea too much.

Well, you'd have to establish a group moderator. He or she would approve members, and from there, the leader could write out a policy. Dictatorship, democracy, oligarchy?

Kain: some groups could have their own private board just for the sake of the topics discussed. Groups like a C++ team could have a public board (read-ony to non-members) or they could hang out in the R&D board.

Guys, this is going to be used for guilds.

Each member will be a member of a user group that displays their talents. There will be a level artist group, an engine designer group, spriter group, etc.

I will talk the "personal group for anything under the sun" thing over with other mods but I cannot make promises.

I would like to work out some kind of rule system that would allow for members to form their own guilds, much like how you establish clubs in high school/college. For example, minimum number of members, clear focus for why the guild should exist, members having specific responsibilities, etc. Things to consider, I suppose.

=Smidge=

It's either that or everyone does some silly signature image for it anyway. And it also would help you know who is already dedicated to what.

And I'm sure it isn't that big of a change to the code anyway. It would really just be another option. And one thing we were talking about a while back for the new boards was the possibility of having a team-specific project organization blog post with limited editing and viewing access. It would be a good first step.

Hah. Although vB does have a journal mod, it isn't that complex. And to be honest, I don't want to write the code to make it that complex.

Remember, this is vB, not something we built from the ground up. Mods are built using vB hooks and hacks. Not our own. It makes fringe mods like that not something that you just whip up in 5 minutes.