A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sprite Contest V: Custom Checkpoints

attachment.php?attachmentid=323&stc=1&d=1183495218

Anyone familiar with Sonic games (especially Sonic 2) is aware of the level checkpoints, used so that the player doesn't get all sad when he or she dies randomly.

The subject of this contest is to design and create a check point in accordance to an existing Sonic art style.

Entries must meet all of the following requirements:

• They must be scaled appropriately to fit within a 2D Sonic game (which game it is, you pick yourself)
  • The design must be original. You may not tweak an existing sprite. (though to be perfectly honest, the only way we'll even be able to say that for certain is if the design is nearly identical anyway). If your article is meant to be added to existing terrain, that is acceptable, though you will not be judged on the pre-existing parts.
  • All entries must contain frames for both idling and activation + activated loop
  • All entries must be submitted in sprite sheet form along with a picture of the artwork fit into a standard resolution screenshot of the depicted game.

Additionally, you might consider submitting it in cca/mfa format so to improve our on site resources. If you do, please manage the hot spots and everything before hand.

Deadline:

Saturday, July 14th, 11:59 PM Eastern Time

Scoring

Since I'm not one to believe in a voting system with only around 15 or so active voters, all entries will be judged by a panel of three non-participating members. I'll try to appoint them in a neutral manner.

All entries will be judged on the following categories by each of the judges. The highest scorer out of 150 points wins.

1. Concept (1-10 points)
  2. Adherence to Game art (1-10 points)
  3. Animation Quality (1-10 points)
  4. Overall Quality (1-20 points)

All judges will give constructive critique to go along with their judgements.

Of course, all participants will receive two Rep points for entering and the winner will get boosted by an extra three. Naturally, if the entry is deemed as a joke entry, we might forgo the participation bonus.

Multiple entries are allowed and each entry will yield an additional participation bonus and both entries will be judged as individual entries.

Note: Yes, I will be competing. Think thats unfair? Don't really give a shit. I'm not judging, so I'll feel free to compete in my own contest.

Decided to take advantage of SNK3 Death Egg zone and came up with this mechanical Checkpoint:

postbackingql8.png

When activated, the gear starts going and gives the checkpoint power or energy to light up the orb and some lights around it.

custompostsheetmd0.png

Here's the sheet.

and for an added bonus, an animated GIF of the post when activated:

custompostanimatedev7.gif

Awesome.

Here's one in a Carnival Night style:

postbackingsmi3.png

When activated, the post will blow a balloon up from inside, afterwards, the balloon will stay stationary while flashing different colors.

custompostsheet2sa8.png

Here's the sheet.

And again, an animated GIF:

animatedpostgj9.gif

If there's no limit, I'll probably do one more later on today.

I think this is my very first completely hand drawn sprite :o

notice the smal lights at the bottom of the sprite. It is supposed that sonic passes between the 2 posts if someone doesnt notice. Also, all the animations except the unused one and the part of the appearing animation where the electric wave goes to the top plays at high speed.

postsheetxu6.png

Those are the techs mockups

test1np8.png

test2cs3.png

Oh, marvelous. While it might not be the best for Deathegg, it still makes a great resource regardless.

Anyway, without further ado, here is my first entry.

attachment.php?attachmentid=330&stc=1&d=1183838454

SkySanctuaryPicture2.png

Note: The platform isn't mine and is part of the original Sky Sanctuary graphics. Its just made to rest on the platform for uniformity sake.

SkySanctuarySpritesheet.png

Animation is basically just color cycling. I'm also added a few effectsfor when its acrtivated, but I'd rather not bother with them just yet since I couldn't really shouldn't be allowed to use them (not original graphics) for the purpose of the contest.

If you want to see an animated version, check the attached zip file for the mfa as well as the sprite in single pieces.