A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Yay! My First Sonic Sprite.

TRD

I've been thinking about this for awhile now, and I felt it was time to make my own Sonic sprite, especially to put in my final Sonic Fangame.

Thanks to Aerosol for coaching me through the some of the progress, I made a pretty decent Sonic sprite: (The sprites have more shading than this, but GIF reduces the color so...)

csonicstandug1.gif

The head is 100% hand-drawn, so is the body. The hands are from Sonic 3 sprites and so are the shoes, in which I edited them to look like SA Sonic shoes.

crouch2showhg3.png

Crouching.

csonicjumpqz9.gif

Jumping Animation.

csonicwalkxx2.gif

Half Finished running animation.

Also, as an added bonus, an incomplete, Rage the Wolf sprite:

rageshowqj8.png

Right now, he doesn't look like a wolf unfortunately....

Yeah, the fur spines aren't completed, but it's hard coming up with a unique hair style.

The tail looks bad, it's too thick but I was following the tail structure of a real wolf.....

If anyone could give me some tips on how to improve Rage, then please let me know.

EDIT: Did some last minute edits on Rage, had to do an attachment because library computers block hosting sites.

attachment.php?attachmentid=279&d=1181567946

That's it, I'll post more animations once I get Sonic done.

• Like 1

Zenor: I can see you don't know too much about how to shade properly.

And needs less Mspaint defalt colors.

TRD: (The sprites have more shading than this, but GIF reduces the color so...)

=P

Unless you're talking about Rage, it's because he's still incomplete. Once I'm done with his outline, I'll focus on shading him.

But the outlines are good.

Thanks, glad to hear that. I was worried that my first Sonic sprite would be a bust.

Anyways, new edits to Rage:

attachment.php?attachmentid=281&d=1181584732

This one, you can see I added rough to his fur and reduced the fur spines alittle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=282&d=1181584732

This one, same thing, except I made his snout slope down to look more wolf-like. But it looks..droopy though. =\

Any opinions on any of them is still welcomed. :I

You need to fis the shading a bit on the sonic sprite, but he's ok overal. The only real problem I see here is in the first sprite, when the white turns transparent, there is a spot on his shoe that is missing. They are obvously the sam shade of white. You should either change the background color or make that spot on the shoe off-white. If it is already like that in the original image, then don't worry about it. I know how gifs can kill color variety.

As for the wolf, he looks pretty good. I think they had a wolf character at some point, so you might wanna look him up if you are having any trouble getting good references. So far, though, he does look good and he does fit in with the rest of the characters.

Good Job.

......TRD I am so proud of you. really. You have no idea. Fuck man, well fucking done.

Thanks, Aerosol. I did study under you, after all. =D

OK for a beginner. Keep with it, turd.

Thanks, Streak.

You need to fis the shading a bit on the sonic sprite, but he's ok overal

I'll try, but I suck at shading, unless it's pillow shading. Thanks btw.

The only real problem I see here is in the first sprite, when the white turns transparent, there is a spot on his shoe that is missing. They are obvously the sam shade of white.

I didn't noticed that. That will be taken care of.

As for the wolf, he looks pretty good. I think they had a wolf character at some point, so you might wanna look him up if you are having any trouble getting good references. So far, though, he does look good and he does fit in with the rest of the characters.

Good Job.

Thank you, sir. Once I figure out how to get the fur right, I can start building off him.

If you want the running animation to look more natural make him lean in or crouch down slightly as he's running. Right now it looks stiff.

Good though. I like.

Got it, Thanks, Rael!

@TRD: i mean where the "light" comes. if you can understand me.

Oh, sorry. Yeah I suck at shading, I'll try and fix that and add another contrast of blue in there too.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'll post more later on today. =D

TRD, great progress from earlier sprites to now. Really shows that you're trying.

Take a gander (or many):

The original tutorial :3

Here's another tutorial

Crapload of tutorial links and stuff.

See, I'm not too good with words, but maybe these can help you. Don't blindly follow them though: application, not memorization.

I can offer some critique though. Don't be afraid to use your own colors; you want to be free in choosing how your sprite looks. In a way, picking a palette is art within itself. You have three shades of blue: two from the default MSPaint colors, and one that reads as black when you don't zoom on it. No need to limit yourself like that.

Other than that, work a little on shading, and also anatomy. Those guys' arms are pretty short. Sonic has pretty long arms.

Good stuff, man.

Thanks, Blyde. I'm looking at those tutorials now, I like the 2nd one.

Z3d: Thanks! =D

*Bumped*

Enhanced Sonic's shadings and colorings, he's now lighter, with some noticable shading.

attachment.php?attachmentid=283&d=1181659450

Also, I redid the running animation so he's not so stiff looking.

attachment.php?attachmentid=284&d=1181659450

It's alittle bumpy because I didn't properly align each frame.

I put Rage on hold for now, until I can think of a better fur design.

EDIT:

attachment.php?attachmentid=285&stc=1&d=1181663815

The final product, perhaps? (Went back to the old fur spines. IMO, it makes him look better.)

• Like 1

I think the sprite could work well with a black outline around it. Like a sort of cartoony look. Used yours and Zenor's to make a sample. If you like it I could do it for all of the animations. If not then ahhh well. I'll have a shot at the furspines for your wolf too TRD

Cellshade.jpg

>>>edit

Cellshade2-1.jpg

I think the sprite could work well with a black outline around it. Like a sort of cartoony look. Used yours and Zenor's to make a sample. If you like it I could do it for all of the animations. If not then ahhh well. I'll have a shot at the furspines for your wolf too TRD

Cellshade.jpg

>>>edit

Cellshade2-1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=293&stc=1&d=1181855126

made it less JPG.

Actually Z3D, I changed my mind...I really want to do this on my own, because this is my first Sonic sprite. Thanks for the pointers and visual though.

I'll try to improve more on the shading.

Thanks for offering though.