A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

5 million Koreans just shit themselves

I wonder if this one will be good enough to lure me away from WarCraft 3 for a little while at least... like the first one wasn't able to do when I was playing WarCraft 2. O.o`` Although, I have been playing more Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 lately, so maybe I won't be as sceptical towards a sci-fi RTS as I was then. Time will tell, I guess.

I really like the looks of it. Looks more traditional compared to, say W3 (even the terrain maintains the same SC charm and feel). I didn't like the heroes aspect of W3 too much. For W3, you really needed 2 people to play 1 race in order to enjoy it completely: 1 to build, 1 to micromanage. At least they had the functionality to be able to do that.

Anyway, looks awesome.

WarCraft and WarCraft 2 were the first RTS games I've ever played, and StarCraft always gave me the "What could I be doing in WC?" feeling. Besides, being introduced to the genre by a fantasy game and then jumping into a sci-fi one was a bit of a shock at first. It didn't feel right.

But, with that all being said in addition to my C&C:RE comment earlier, I'll certainly be giving this one a try.

Guest Shadix

You act like you can trust that Blizzard will actually see it through to completion. Remember Ghost?

Thus far this game looks like they are trying to make some use out of all the assets that would've gone to waste. I knew something was up, the WoW website has had a splash page for the past couple of days with a question mark, and I was like "...Warcraft 4, Diablo 3, or mothafucking Starcraft.

I still want to see Starcraft for DS :\. Everyone has decided that the 360 is a perfect console for RTS games yet none of them have given the DS any love. (AoE2 was dismembered and reconfigured on it's DS "port", so it doesn't count. >_>)

Starcraft: Ghost is completely different. Starcraft: Ghost was barely a year into development when it was announced and slated for realease. It kept getting pushed back and back with supposed development problems and a croud of fans who would simply rather that game not be there. It was a spin-off game that was never of highest priority and shared its fate with the never-released Warcraft Adventures. I kinda expected WoW to go the same way, but I guess there's just a lot of money to be made in MMOs.

Starcraft 2 has been in development since 2003, and is obviously a good ways down development. It's a real sequel to an extremely popular franchise and cancelling it would certainly do more harm than it did for cancelling Ghost. I'm not saying it's impossible for it to not get released.

I'm sick of the whole fantasy genre, it got old a long time ago. Hail Starcraft. I wouldn't mind seeing a World Of Starcraft MMORPG, although it'll never happen. I think I'll just stick to Blue Burst.

I was on the WoW Beta forums (the boards for the losers (including myself) who didn't get in the closed beta) when we first started getting the big hints Ghost was dying.

Maybe five people there cared. They were asking when they'd be working on this instead (either this or a World of StarCraft).

I'm sick of the whole fantasy genre, it got old a long time ago. Hail Starcraft. I wouldn't mind seeing a World Of Starcraft MMORPG, although it'll never happen. I think I'll just stick to Blue Burst.

Science Fiction is fantasy. Do you mean like... psuedo-medieval fantasy or... storybook fantasy? I'm not even too sure what you're trying to say.

Edit: Put me on a new page, so I might as well quote it.

Edit2: Nvm, you're fine. Still a little generic, though.

Actually, looking it up, as a genre-use word, they distinguish Fantasy from Science Fiction, etc to make "Fantasy" in and of itself reffer to the dragons and sorcerrers type thing (which IMO is bullshit, needs a much better term, but whatever). So I guess I was wrong.

Anyway, I don't hate bad Sci-Fi as much as bad more classical Fantasy, but really good stuff usually surpasses genre.

Starcraft (and pretty much any online game, but Starcraft especially) is extremely popular in South Korea. Popular enough for Blizzard to hold their Worldwide invitational competition there. They have professional online gaming leagues out the wazuu and their own Starcraft chips and Soda brands. Besides, that's where Starcraft 2 was announced (officially).

Edit: Ever been on Battle.net late at night and seen games with weird titles using strange characters? Those are Korean. Whenever there are few games on the your prefered server, servers "merge" and you can see and join servers from other parts.