A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Adventure: Remix - CANCELED

GamerGuy

One year and six months ago, I had this awesome idea on a fan project - Taking one of SEGA's coolest games, IMO, and make my own 2D version of it. My vision was to recruit a bunch of talented individuals, and work together on this very ambitious project. Back then I was a newbie to the online community, in general, and thought such a feat was possible, if we had a good hardworking team.

As time went by, I realized most people cannot devote the time and effort this project requires. Day after day the truth became more painfully obvious to me; This is just too big for any group of amateurs to accomplish! One day, I almost officially killed the project, until I decided to give it just one last try. After that, things got slightly better, but it was still not enough.

This project has been in development for a year and a half, and barely anything has been accomplished. At our average rate of progress, the rough estimated time of completion is in the year 2014!

To sum up the above short story, I have decided to cancel Sonic Adventure: Remix. I know a lot people are upset by this, and it is something I really didn't want to do. It is just way too much for me to handle, and I was having the hardest time getting the resources I needed.

"Does this mean GamerGuy is leaving, and SCDTi is dead?"

Of course not! In place of SA:R will be a completely new Sonic game. So new, I have yet to figure out what it'll be. What I do know, is that it will be a much simpler game. One that won't take half a decade to complete!

Let us have a moment of silence for our beloved fan game project, Sonic Adventure: Remix. The game that could have really been something, but did nothing but struggle to stay alive.

http://www.soniccagedome.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2914

Anyway, you should probably release your source so that we can tear it apart for others to use. No sense in work going to waste eh?

I agree with this so darn much its not even funny. If I see another fangame that gets cancelled, and the source just stays there on the creators desktop, its probably going to be a ban for me after I explicitly post my rage

Damn, this sucks. I mean.. I hardly care about fangames anymore. However, yours always captured my attention your demo was one of the few I've played in like.. a year or so. And yours is quite possibly the only one I've actually been looking for (in addition to Blaze's Sonic Next/Secret Rings thing). Sad to see the project end, but I suppose it can't be helped.

Other than that.. I suppose what the two above me have said.

I agree with this so darn much its not even funny. If I see another fangame that gets cancelled, and the source just stays there on the creators desktop, its probably going to be a ban for me after I explicitly post my rage

I have to agree as well. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean someone else can. Let someone carry the torch, I just hate to see such a good game die.

OMFG, people...

Of course not! In place of SA:R will be a completely new Sonic game. So new, I have yet to figure out what it'll be. What I do know, is that it will be a much simpler game. One that won't take half a decade to complete!

So there, NO SOURCE FOR YOU! T_T

EDIT: If you guys want his code so badly, just ask me what it is you specificly need, and I'll tell you how to make it. I am one of his engine programmers, you know...

You guys are dicks for wanting his source code right off the bat. You should've read the whole post and noticed that he's going to do something else with it.

My post from SCDTi:

I'm not afraid to admit that I did see this coming (like the exact moment that he announced this project), but that doesn't mean I'm not upset to see it go. It was a great idea and start to an ambitious project. I mean, hell, the SAGE 06 demo was one of the few beacons of hope in a sea of shit fangames.

However, what makes me happy in all of this negativity is that you, GG, are continuing to fangame. I actually bounced around a few times (but never really announced it publicly) with many different project ideas before coming to the realization that cancellation happens way too often and settling down with Nexus. I hope that you find a comfortable area within Sonic fangaming and dominate it.

You guys are dicks for wanting his source code right off the bat. You should've read the whole post and noticed that he's going to do something else with it.

My post from SCDTi:

And just how the hell was I supposed to infer that from what he said? It totally didn't say anywhere that he was using it for something else in that quote.

Slinger: Actually, he never explicity says the he'll be using the same engine. So it seems perfectly fine to ask for the engine (assuming he'll be using a different one). Just because he's making another game doesn't mean he'll be using the same engine. The fact that he says he's going for something simpler could also mean that he'll either be cutting this engine down or simply creating one without all the countless events this one probably has. It was a perfectly legit question. I don't believe anyone demanded it, they simply asked if they could have it (if it weren't going to be used).

Slinger: Actually, he never explicity says the he'll be using the same engine. So it seems perfectly fine to ask for the engine (assuming he'll be using a different one). Just because he's making another game doesn't mean he'll be using the same engine. The fact that he says he's going for something simpler could also mean that he'll either be cutting this engine down or simply creating one without all the countless events this one probably has. It was a perfectly legit question. I don't believe anyone demanded it, they simply asked if they could have it (if it weren't going to be used).

HE NEVER EXPLICITLY BLAH BLAH BLAH BKLHA ATUwraghruowgh uiaweas hugawrbgfBULLSHITsdfgs;huilguhrsgbiBALLSilbwekhwbtaiwbteriwt

hsquares.jpg

SLINGERLAND FOR THE BLOCK PLZ

It's pretty much a given that someone starting a Sonic project over is more than likely to use their engine again. If you took a few years perfecting an engine and started a different project of a similar nature, would you ditch the engine? PLUS:

In place of SA:R will be a completely new Sonic game. So new' date=' I have yet to figure out what it'll be. What I do know, is that it will be a much simpler game. One that won't take half a decade to complete![/quote']

I think that's explicit enough.

And then there's this:

Well, there's the fact that I'm his programming engineer, and I'm telling you right now that he'll be using the same engine.

I win the award for "Most Likely to Win in Response to a Wall of Text." I'll put it next to my NHL 94 trophy to scorn you. Everybody suck the nut ('cept Aero & GG).

Seriously, Scatta...how can you defend the vultures? How?

Slingerland, I don't know if you get this or not, but as I've already said...

He didn't post that here! When you announce something like this on a forum and include a lengthy quote for emphasis, people aren't expected to go check out the rest of the source material.

So this is SFGHQ's new motto. Expect people to be omni-present about everything going on at Cagedome and bitch at people when they suggest that rather than letting resources go to waste, turn them over to the community.

And before you say that same shit again, from my perspective at that time... that being someone here reading a post that doesn't go to SCD, thats what it looked like. It looked like the resources would just idle on his harddrive for the rest of eternity and never put to use because he didn't say that he was using it for anything else here.

Oh, and since its been edited and so I don't look like I'm making this all up, here is what his post quoted before.

One year and six months ago, I had this awesome idea on a fan project - Taking one of SEGA's coolest games, IMO, and make my own 2D version of it. My vision was to recruit a bunch of talented individuals, and work together on this very ambitious project. Back then I was a newbie to the online community, in general, and thought such a feat was possible, if we had a good hardworking team.

As time went by, I realized most people cannot devote the time and effort this project requires. Day after day the truth became more painfully obvious to me; This is just too big for any group of amateurs to accomplish! One day, I almost officially killed the project, until I decided to give it just one last try. After that, things got slightly better, but it was still not enough.

This project has been in development for a year and a half, and barely anything has been accomplished. At our average rate of progress, the rough estimated time of completion is in the year 2014!

To sum up the above short story, I have decided to cancel Sonic Adventure: Remix. I know a lot people are upset by this, and it is something I really didn't want to do. It is just way too much for me to handle, and I was having the hardest time getting the resources I needed.

Aero: Only, at the time you hadn't said that yet. Key segment being that you're "telling me right now" as in, I wasn't informed of this earlier when I said that I agreed with the people who wanted the source code. Beforehand, there was nothing suggesting that the same engine was indeed being used. As I said, at the time it was a perfectly legit question. There's no reason for you to be a fucking asshole to me about it being that I haven't done anything of the sort to anyone else in this damned thread.

Slinger: "If you took a few years perfecting an engine and started a different project of a similar nature, would you ditch the engine?"

Yes. If I'm not mistake he's already like.. changed this engine twice. After awhile I get sick of the same engine over and over again. So, personally, yes I would ditch the engine. Although, I don't see why what I would do matters here. Which is why I never demanded anything from him, because I wasn't sure how he works.

"In place of SA:R will be a completely new Sonic game. So new, I have yet to figure out what it'll be. What I do know, is that it will be a much simpler game."

First of all but a "new Sonic game" doesn't necessarily indicate it'll be using the same engine. In fact, "completely new" probably does something against that idea. Completely new game, completely new engine. Second, if he's going to be making a much simpler game, it'd make a bit of sense ot have a much simpler engine perhaps or to at least cut down some of the unneeded features from his current engine. Resulting in two different versions of the engine. Of course, once again, I never demanded anything from him. Only said that if he wasn't going to use it, that it made sense to release it.

"And then there's this: ::Insert Comment that was just made and so wasn't actually around when I initially agreed with the others but somehow has an effect on what I said beforehand::

I don't see how that really matters. That wasn't on the first page and it wasn't in the post on the bulletin board which I believe I've already proven never said word-for-word that this new game would indeed be using the engine and I don't believe I ever said anything like that. If you can find a comment somewhere that says exactly what Aero just said in the original post then I'll shut up but being that you haven't I don't see how that comment has any effect on anything. And, unlike DW, I did check the source material. And there was still no definite "I'm using this engine for the new game" anywhere in there.

"Seriously, Scatta...how can you defend the vultures? How?"

Learn to read, Slinger. I don't believe I ever defended them. I said I agreed with the idea that, were this engine not going to be used (and this was never said for certain until after my initial post), the engine should be released. And on the second page I never defended them, only the reasoning behind the basic "perhaps he could release the source code idea." I personally, think comments such as Gungriffon's and Midi's were out of line. however, the original idea of "don't let a perfectly decent engine die" (assuming he wasn't going to use it, and there was no indication he was) made perfect sense and so I defended it.

You know what. I shouldn't even have to defend myself. There was no damned explicit phrase anywhere along the lines of "we're canning this game, but we'll be using the engine." You all have said your damned selves that it could be "assumed" that he'd use the damned engine. My bad for not assuming or knowing or whatever the hell you all are on my ass about. Go fuck yourself: "In place of SA:R will be a completely new Sonic game. != In place of SA:R will be a completely new Sonic game using the SA:R engine." You may want to get your damn facts straight and check the timestamp on Aero's post. And Aero, you may just want to stop being such a damned ass for no apparent reason. I didn't say shit to you.

Glad to know that you still don't know how to read, Aero. And I quote:

"And, unlike DW, I did check the source material. And there was still no definite 'I'm using this engine for the new game' anywhere in there."

So, yes, I read the bit at SCD. But just to be sure I'm not lying or anything, I'll just post the entire thing here:

Let us have a moment of silence for our beloved fan game project, Sonic Adventure: Remix. The game that could have really been something, but did nothing but struggle to stay alive.

So, like I've said for about the millionth time now nowhere in either this thread or that post on your own bulletin board did it initally, and explicitly state that this new Sonic game of yours would definitely be using the SA:R engine. Nowhere does it say that. Maybe you meant to, but it definitely wasn't there. Look through that and fine "we'll be using the SA:R engine for this new game" and I'll shut up, but as I just told Slinger no one's done that yet. And until you do, keep your ass quite and don't try and talk down to me. It's not my fault you didn't say what you meant the first time around.