A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Animez Boston D:

Pheonix Gamma

So I went to my first convention ever this evening, and it sure was...interesting...

first, I got IN the convention by questionably legal means. It was striaght out of a jRPG, though (we got in, got stopped, a group of cosplayers has to register for the Cosplay ball, more on that in a bit, and we join their group.)

So we're in (sans badges, so there's a constant sense of paranoia) and my friend has been here before, so she knows what's up. Basically, if you're not a cosplayer, 50% of the convention isn't for you. The other stuff was more hardcore, like director's panels, VA discussions, etc. There were booths selling stuff, but it was mostly overpriced, and the anime premiring today wasn't Haruhi, so I didn't care :P

The cosplayers are interesting. Either they're cute/hot, or ugly, and they're either totally awesome and fun, or jerks. One guy was the manager of Yakitate or whatever (I never watched it, but my friends love it) and he was really cool. Then there were the nerdier bunch, which just made you feel awkward (the Katamari Damacy 5 man dance was just embarrassing, since on of them were in costume or anything.) Lots of cute girls though, and I even saw a 9 year old dressed as Tidus, with a totally huge foam Brotherhood sword :D

After hiding from security and getting board fast (not much to do if you don 't have badges) we went to the Hotel (the convention takes place in the mall all day) where we saw thousands of Clouds, Yunas, and random anime characters (Naruto and SquareEnix seemed to dominate, though Bleach had a strong showing.) all in tuxes for the Cosplay Formal Ball (every anime character in tuxes and gowns, dancing. It sounds horrendously lame, and I feel sorry fpr the hotel staff who put up with some of the BS) and we visited a friend of my friends. That's where we met a rude cosplayer, angry because we interrupted "fun time" (read: lots of sex) and we left because we just weren't having fun by that point.

So basically, I learned that I like anime, but I'll never be an addict, and I'll never want to be XP

I actually almost wanted to be that same manager of the South store from Yakitate too if I ever decided to go to say... Otakon... which I might go one year, but not this one...

I was never one into cosplaying, heck, I didn't even attempt to at an mini con we ran this past march. Oh there were some, but the majority held my view on things... Running panels though is pretty fun...

I will go to otakon again, if

plans to get something shown again... That and I'd be dragged by them personally...

Yes, I'm part of my school's anime club, but we ironically do very little anime watching... More like a gaming club if you ask... well, us...

And yes, I'll agree with you, being an otaku, or fanatic is... well... weird...

It's not that I hate anime, cause I like it. It's just that they (the "otaku", which Japanese people find to be really wierd) tend to be socially inept most of the time, or have no life whatsoever.

I mean, to just go today, I'd have to pay 30 bucks. That means I'd have to spend the rest of my money on expensive things, or japanese food (seriously, just because you like anime doesn't mean to HAVE to have Japanese soda and cand yand shit. "Japanese" is not English for "better") and watch VAs that I think are lame (ZOMG SUBS R BETTER RITE?) and do wierd cosplay stuff.

But the Yakitate manager guy? He was cool. He just had a fro and glasses and stuff, and when my friends asked for a photo, he said "yea sure man" and he took out his bread and they took some shots, and he tells me "tomorrow, this is my breakfast" and we laughed, and he was cool cause it's not like he spend months on it. Then you've got this guy dressed as a Marboro or whatever from Final Fantasy, and he starts circling my friends and shit, and people are all serious about thier poses. I dunno, it was just a turn off.

I mean, anime is a cool interest and a cool hobby, but it's just that.

Also, I saw a Wolfwood cosplayer, but he fucked up the gun. How the HELL do you screw up a cross? It's only...EVERYWHERE.

lol, but if you haven't seen yakitate, it's worth watching if not only for it's different-ness... (just felt like making up a word...) It's about baking bread, and it's great...

And I agree 100% about the food thing... I don't care for it much at all... Except for the teryiaki this one place makes... They do a great job at it...

As for the drinks and assorted candy (ramune and pocky being the biggest targets), they're good and all (though after selling these things for the club sometimes for a while, you eventually read exactly what's in everything, (and know where to get them... *cough*china*cough*town*cough*crackle*wheeze* *choke*)) but I can't stand those who think it's the greatest thing in the world especially when you can tell they don't feel the same way too...

And on a side note... They aren't obsessed with our (so called "western") culture as many of "us" (and I use the term generally) are they?

And on a side note... They aren't obsessed with our (so called "western") culture as many of "us" (and I use the term generally) are they?

Actually, they are. Mostly for music. Ever listened to a Japanese radio channel? it's practically 90% 70s and 80s music from America. I'm being a foreign exchange student there next year, so more info whenever I'm there on how obsessed they actually are.

I've always wanted to go to one of these cons. I would totally get into cosplaying. Probably acting like the character every once in a while, but mostly it would be a sort of icebreaker. Then you don't have to ask everyone what is their favorite anime. Also, I wouldn't say that all cosplayers are obsessed. Its just fun to act goofy every now and then you know?

I've always wanted to go to one of these cons. I would totally get into cosplaying. Probably acting like the character every once in a while, but mostly it would be a sort of icebreaker. Then you don't have to ask everyone what is their favorite anime. Also, I wouldn't say that all cosplayers are obsessed. Its just fun to act goofy every now and then you know?

K...tell that to the giant Gundam guy with working wing and lights and shit.

You know what sucks about Anime Conventions?

There are never any hot cosplayers.

I told you on AIM, there were some real winners there. Real losers, too, but there were definately some hot ones. I couldn't make any moves, though, cause I was kinda there with my friend (a girl) who was pissed about a boy already :E

Eu-Syaoran.jpg

COSPLAY! Yep, that's me. The picture quality is so terrible... Because it was taken indoors, from my cellphone, at night, and it's also shaking. It was taken before the whole thing was finished... So it's incomplete.

Yeah, I've also had an Anime Convention today. It was nice, but could've been better. Specially the band that presented in the end... Also, EVERY SINGLE PERSON AT THE EVENT HAD TO STEP AT MY FREAKING CLOAK.

I wanted to go, but it was about 1000 miles from me.

I cant wait till some con comes around here ( that doesnt suck. like anthrocon. *shudder* ). Im just going to bring a crapload of people ( read: 9+ ), and raid everything.

We're going to be cancer.