A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic and the Secret Rings update

Serephim

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a video for it today and am very interested in it.

Also, the story isn't some bull____ thing they've been doing the past few games. I like it for once. The whole thing where he gets the flaming arrow in his chest that the bad guy won't remove until he gets all the secret rings or whatever seems like a neat idea. Especially because he's working for the badguy, and the arrow, which is essentially a timebomb in his chest, just seems like actual justification to running full tilt to wherever. I hope it's good.

EGM's review (no score)

complaints:

Some challenges are too challenging.

Minigames arent really all that great.

Greg says doesn't meet hype expectations.

Praises:

Graphics are beautiful, calling it looking as good as Resident Evil 4.

The most fun 3d Sonic to date.

The most fun boss battles in ANY Sonic game to date, having a scale to that of Zelda battle "expanding the scope of Sonic's aim"

Controls are done well as is the camera.

Yes, Rush did meet my expectations as well. Then again, I was only expecting a Sonic Advance 2-quality game. What I got was a bit better so.. yea.. I liked it quite a bit.

Eh.. only boss I've seen so far seem to be Sonic Heroes-styled. Which.. ehh I'd rather something more along the lines of the final boss from Sonic Adventure or something. Not really something worth complaining about though if they compared it to Zelda.. which I've never really been all that much in to.

Edit: Watched the review. Yea.. reminds me of the bosses from Sonic Heroes, Sonic Advance 2, and the final boss from Sonic Riders. I see no footage to suggest any change to make it seem worthy of a comment such as "most fun boss battles in ANY Sonic game to date." Which of course includes Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, etc. I really do love the music though, it's so.. unique. Like.. I would totally burn that to a CD and play it on the way to school and stuff.

Ehh.. way to totally blame a game sucking on a character. Also, I think it's worth mentioning that virtually every game after the 2D ones, save for quite a few stages in SA, was nothing but scattered platforms over huge chasms. Yet, the majority of the Sonic community was fond of the Sonic/Shadow levels in SA2. Also, that second bit doesn't have much base even if you, personally, disliked SA2. In terms of expectations, which is what we were talking about in the first place, tons of pits to fall into were expected because they were in Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, most likely Sonic Advance 3 (which I've never played), and a slew of other games.

SA2's Sonic levels generally didn't contain that many chasms. Sure, you could argue that the left and right sides of any platform were large chasms, but in terms of layout, most of the stages were rather straight foward without pits being a major hazard. Only in a few choice levels were pits your largest enemy. Final Rush/Final Chase were it.

In Sonic Advance and Rush, pits are always your greatest enemy. Thats just one of the problems with the design though. The bigger problem is that all of the levels are basically the same with few gimmick changes and fewer path changes.

And looking at the path maps for Sonic Advance 1-3 shows you just how horridly chaotic and generally lacking in design they were.

Ah, yea DW's right, my bad. So, in that case neither SA nor SA2 really had all too many chasms. Sky Rail and Final Rush/Final Chase are the levels that come to mind when I think of that game. Even so, the point still stands that pits of doom abound should've been expected to make appearances in Sonic Rush and that Blaze being in the game doesn't make the game bad. Afterall, had Blaze not been in that game there still would've had pits of death to annoy Duckyboy, no?