A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic and the Secret Rings update

Serephim

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I came back for completely shallow reasons that I'm in no way proud of (coughwebcomiccomingthismonthcough). Plus I think I might have missed three members, sooo...

also, after doing critiques in art classes all of the time, they're definately better, IMHO. Reviews tend to come off as "hey I say this game is shit therefore it is true hahaha oh you don't like it? I never said it was true just that I think it sucks you idiot lolololololol." Sorta like that whole thing on IGN about how Matt was saying that Twilight Princess being game of the year was "a fact."

I at least enjoy EGM's reviews, because they get 3 different people reviewing every game, and you see interesting averages, like one will give a game a 7, and the other two will think he's crazy and give it a 4.5 and a 3. Then you can say "well that guy really likes puzzlers" or something and gauge it a little better.

Gameplay is much more important than character choice and I can tell you right now that Sonic Heroes had the absolute worst level design of the series hands down. No, it isn't debatable. A short glance at the path maps for Final Fortress should be enough to see that. Simply put, levels don't get more linear and without defining traits than that.

And I should add that level design is the single most important facet of gameplay to a Sonic game. This also is not debatable.

Sonic Heroes didn't deserve a high score. The level design sucked total balls (more so than Shadow) and the length was completely artificial. So I'm definitely going to say that the Dreamcast ports deserved a higher score.

I'm sorry, but no matter how you look at it that game was blatantly a bad game. The lack of memorability and variety outright kills its value as a game, god forbid as a Sonic game.

Also, from an engine standpoint it deserves a worse score than Shadow the Hedgehog... as the Heroes engine was the buggiest engine I've seen of ANY Sonic engine in 3D... not to mention the most overly complicated and plain un-fun.

And Seraph, you clearly have no idea how the physics engine is used in the game. I don't think I've ever seen a physics engine adapted for wall running.

Honestly, I can think of no reason for Sonic Heroes to have scored higher than even Shadow the Hedgehog... it was that bad on all facets.

Sonic Heroes' engine was WAYYY better than SA2:B's, what the hell are you smoking? They fixed the homing attack, it was way faster, had TONS less camera bugs, and there was PLENTY of variety in the stages.

What on EARTH are you talking about? When's the last time you played that game, seriously?

While SH does have diversity in the stages (like jungle, beach, metropolis, etc), all of the level design was very linear and forgettable. You could exchange, say, the graphics of Grand Metropolis and Frog Jungle, but leave the level and you'd get like the same design. The levels are pretty interchangeable. (I hope all that shit made sense) I agree with DW all the way.

Sonic Heroes' engine was WAYYY better than SA2:B's, what the hell are you smoking? They fixed the homing attack, it was way faster, had TONS less camera bugs, and there was PLENTY of variety in the stages.

What on EARTH are you talking about? When's the last time you played that game, seriously?

First of all, I've got to say that the homing attack is one very very small aspect to the engine.

Second... XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD. You call that a fixed homing attack? Faster you say? It doesn't even speed you up when you are on the ground. What in the holy hell are you smoking? All SH's homing attack was good for was having you uncontrollably plow off the edge of one of its rectangular square pieces of terrain with no wall. The only thing fast about it was that you could use it to bounce into the enemy dozens of times without stoping, which is something that only serves to soak even more variety out of the game. SH's homing attack was by far the worst I had ever seen in a Sonic game. I've never seen something as prone to throw me in a random direction in my life.

And thematic variety isn't real variety. Its only skin deep. Every level in Sonic Heroes is basically a straight line with the very rare branching path that only persists for approximately 3-10 seconds before rejoining the main. The only two gimmicks to stay unique to a single stage were the switches from Hang Palace/Mystic Mansion, and the upward flowing walls from Grand Metropolis.

Oh, and the most boring ever frog. They don't really do anything, but they still qualify as a gimmick in the most roundabout sorta way possible. Sure, you can't really interact with them and they don't really change much of jack squat. Their whole role might just be to slow you down looking for them too.

The only camera bugs I ever had playing SA2 were ones I didn't care about. These occurred in the shooting levels and treasure hunting levels... which to me was just some extra fluff anyway.

SH gave me plenty of bugs. Like for instance, the light dash would randomly just stop in the middle of a big path of rings leaving you falling to your death. Eventually I developed reflexes to correct that problem by doing a second light dash when the first stops, but I shouldn't have had to in order to make the damn thing playable. The homing attack probably killed me more than any enemy ever did and Knuckles' ability to slide everywhere while attacking probably killed me more than the homing attack. I don't even want to talk about the huge heap of bugs that came out of Bingo and the Pinball tables. Then there is falling through floors, and every other mood killer imaginable.

I'm sick of all the bitching and whining. I thought we already agreed that "Sonic Team" has gone to shit - can't we just drop it?

First, Prop 21 is for New Sonic titles specifically. Second, as I have stated countless times now, Sonic Team is a lie. The never went to shit because they never existed.

"But Sonic Heroes doesn't have an emotional animal as a lead."

That totally dictates the game's engine, right? So I'm guessing a black main character is definitely like.. a puzzler along the lines of Puyo Pop and a latina chick definitely means it's a collecting-type game like Pokemon. Get real.

"Sonic Heroes' engine was WAYYY better than SA2:B's, what the hell are you smoking? They fixed the homing attack, it was way faster, had TONS less camera bugs, and there was PLENTY of variety in the stages."

This would be the equivalent to me having a current computer, going to someone who has a computer form 98' and saying "my computer runs a whole lot faster than yours!" He'd then promptly say "no shix" and then send you on your way. That's one of the dumbest reasons I've ever heard. And half the people here use that excuse when getting in a debate about a Sonic game. When will you all learn that it's not an actual argument?

I don't want to hear anymore of "this is terrible," "this is god awful," I'm sick of all the bitching and whining. I thought we already agreed that "Sonic Team" has gone to shit - can't we just drop it?

Hey, Aero...we were discussing. I don't see any bitching.

-

OK, guys. Back to Secret Rings stuff, please. So, Serephim, please...no retort to DW and Scatta's posts, because they pretty much won. OK?

That flying manta thing is SO Panzer Dragoon.

And I like the water effects. That and not much more regarding the visual department, this game could be replicated easily on a more powerful system with prettier results.

But hey, let's get first a decent 3D Sonic out there and then tighten up teh grafix on level 3.