A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Boost trilogy consists of Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colours, and Sonic Generations. Sonic Unleashed is the game which started it all, introducing the fast paced Boost styled 3D gameplay formula. Sonic Colours then took the gameplay formula and slowed it down quite a bit to allow for better platforming. Sonic Generations tweaked the gameplay formula even further to allow for better 3D exploration.

What's your favourite title in the Boost trilogy and why?

My favourite out of the three is Sonic Colours. I find the gameplay to be the most fun due to its slower pace and bigger emphasis on platforming. The level tropes are all very unique. From a candy factory above the clouds, to an alien filled forest in space. It's very different from level tropes in previous Sonic games. The soundtrack is very well composed. I'd have to say it's one of my favourite game soundtracks. The game does have its flaws such as the shallow story and linear 3D paths, but I honestly can't see SEGA making another Sonic game which matches the level of creativity in this game. It's that good.

My personal favourite is Unleashed. You've got the day stages for speed, and whenever you just want to relax and settle down the Werehog stages have some good platforming in them. Jungle Joyride is my favourite Sonic level yet. My only complaint is that Rooftop Run seems a little bland compared to the rest of the levels. Even Windmill Isle is more interesting and eye catching. :/

Personally I'd say Unleashed mostly for its fast paced action and I did like the Werehog despite how out of the blue it was. However I only got to play the Wii version which means I got to play through menus and missed out on a lot, namely Empire City. And if any complaints I have with the actual game itself it does feel a bit too linear, especially compared to the later two games. And the story does feel like they placed random ideas on a dartboard and called it a story.

I'd have to say my favorite is Colors."BOOOO! THAT'S SUCH AN EASY CHOICE!" Now now. Let me explain. In addition to the boost feeling a little less like I have to force Sonic to move over to the left or right, I love the addition of the wisp power-ups, Sonic's campy yet cool attitude, and Super Sonic, playable, in stages, in 2D and 3D, with the boost, Oh My God Becky.

And Generations amplified it by 99.906983.

My favorite would probably have to be Sonic Generations. I've never really played Colors, but I have played Unleashed, and, while it looks nice and all (and manages to by my favorite Sonic Game), Generations managed to pull out more of a whimsical charm with every litle detail included in it. Comparing the two in a gameplay aspect, Sonic Generations controls much better, is a lot less boost2win, and has a lot more platforming involved in the game without having the werehog slow it down. From an environmental standpoint, Generations is beautiful. Speed Highway, Seaside Hill, and even Planet Wisp all look stunning in their HDified glory. Heck, even the enemy's have little details packed into them, from motobugs getting excited from managing to land a hit on sonic to the spiny's being depressed right before they are destroyed. Finally, from a soundtrack standpoint, again Generations takes the cake. Sure, Unleashed has Skyscraper Scamper, Cool Edge, and Dragon Road, Generations has Speed Highway Classic, Chemical Plant Modern, Seaside Hill Modern, Crisis City Classic, and Sky Sanctuary (both Modern and Classic). So, in the end, while Unleashed IS my favorite Sonic Game, I feel Generations manages to beat it by a thread.

Sonic Colors, if it wasn't obvious enough. XD

Not only did the gameplay excel in terms of platforming and mechanics (using Wisps are hella sweet), but the hilarious dialogue, fun characterization, incredible voice acting, colorful graphics and head-bangin' music made up the fabulous icing on the cake that was interesting enough to sell my soul to the Sonic franchise.

Oh, and because this is a scene.

Wow... this is a tough one. I either have to pick either Generations or Unleashed. But I am going to go with
Unleashed. Reason(s) why is because at times, I want that quick thinking challenge. Pretty much button pressing
before you fall to your death or get eat. The graphics look amazing! I will go out and say Unleashed is the best 
looking Sonic game I have ever played, everything looks great in color and texture designs, just marvelous to see.
However, I dislike the werehog sections, not because they're bad, but of how repetitive it gets later on and I just want
to play the game at full speed and having fun... not to mention that the battle theme gets really annoying when
you're listening to the night track. I will admit the Night stages themes are just a pleasure to hear, but when you
encounter a f-cking enemy, it's just gone... The Day stages are great, the tracks are up beat and the stage comes
up with multiple pathways which I really do like. Night stages tracks are all great but the stages drag on for WAY 
too long, pretty much over 30 mins while the day stages are less than 5. Other than that, Unleashed is my favorite 
out of the trilogy.

Edit: Forgot to mention how there's something that you can improve Sonic in to blast through the stages 
quicker and easier. The story's pretty decent for me IMO.

Edited by BlurProdOG

I'm plopping my money down on Generations.  Though, I feel I'm giving Colours/Colors an unfair shaft since I've never played it, though as for Unleashed, I have too many personal gripes with it though I can completely see why people liked it.

Specifically talking about the boost mechanic in Generations, I loved how you could use it to access otherwise inaccessible areas that were usually shortcuts that I would have never found the first time around.  For instance, near the start of the Chemical Plant Zone on the left side of the first wide running area lies, while tedious, a very rewarding shortcut that requires precise boosts in mid-air. 

A more easier shortcut can also be found in Seaside Hill also near the beginning- jumping off the lenear platform to the right and immediately boosting as you touch the water allows you to run across the ocean and to a few platforms with a hidden spring or cannon that shoots you passed a huge platforming segment of the stage.

Unique abilities specific to a character, like Sonic and his boost, and their implentation are mostly always fun to tinker with to find different routes and passages- though, one could always cheat and look up speed runs too. 

Edited by IceHedge

• 1 year later...

Sonic Colors, if it wasn't obvious enough. XD

Not only did the gameplay excel in terms of platforming and mechanics (using Wisps are hella sweet), but the hilarious dialogue, fun characterization, incredible voice acting, colorful graphics and head-bangin' music made up the fabulous icing on the cake that was interesting enough to sell my soul to the Sonic franchise.

Oh, and because this is a scene.

While colors was my favorite as well, I could go without the dialouge and vocie acting and story in general.  xD

>Boost Trilogy

I'd like to think the Rush games and the Storybook games would be included as an option too, even if they aren't picked.

Well I haven't played through Sonic Colours much, only gotten a little past the first zone.

I am rather fond of Sonic Generations, even if it is a little short for my liking.

Sonic Rush was a good shitter game for me.

Sonic Rush Adventure was another great shitter game too.

I like Secret Rings, even if it was a pain in the ass sometimes.

I never played the Knight game. lol Swooooords

Sonic Unleashed...I love this game...  lol  I'm rather fond of the Daytime stages for the challenge and for the enjoyment I got out of them.  And I love the Night Stages for the atmospheric feels that that they added to the game.  It's got good world building, good gameplay (imho), good plot, and for the most part, pretty well written dialog.  This is also the game that pushed me over the edge into thinking that Jason Griffith was finally a good fit to voice Sonic.  Probably because he'd done it long enough so he was comfortable with voicing him and comfortable with interacting with the other voice actors.  Eggman is also great in this game...lol Ergo...  Sometimes the night stages can be a pain in the dick, that's usually because of the lack of drop-shadow in the HD version, and even though the Wii and PS2 versions have drop shadows, it's off-setted by the controls (which isn't all that bad once you get used to it) and mainly by the amount of bottomless pits everywhere. (granted I rushed hella-lot sometimes)  I can honestly say this is one of those games that gave those good feels at the end of the game, other games that did that were Shovel Knight, Before the Sequel, After the Sequel, one of the Pokemon games (can't remember which), and one or two others who names escape me.

• Like 1

Tough question, I'm going to have to go with generations because it had a mix of platforming and boosting sections. Also the pc version lets you download and make levels to add to the experience. I have played colours and unleashed on the wii but not on xbox or ps3 so this could be unfair.

this thread is old

PS3 Unleashed, because it actually made good use of the mechanics it implemented in its stage progression, especially in Adabat and Eggmanland. I don't know why older 3D sonic games always waited until the final stage to pull out all its better design choices. Eggmanland had sections that were unlike anything seen in the regular stages. If Knuckles/Rouge played anything like their Cannons Core stages in SA2 I would have never gotten bored with them.

Werehog was not that bad. Honestly, it just wasn't. None of its shortcomings were close to game breaking, and it constantly had some nice concepts for its levels, all of its boss fights were interesting and way better than the day ones.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Colors > Generations > Unleashed.

Colors wins because of the small but important things: You hit A at the title screen and BAM! You're playing Tropical Resort Act 1. No stupid intro cutscene or crap in the way. The zones are great and there are SIX acts for each with a whole set of 'act remixes' for all. Act remixes are one of the things I love the most in Sonic since it was introduced in 3. Eggman's announcements in the zones are also pretty neat. It's not duct tape, it's... SPACE tape. Yeah, pretty advanced stuff

Also, scenes and dialog are lighthearted enough and there's no DARK GAIA END OF THE WORLD drama.

Generations (not the handheld version) is good as well, but I hated the challenge levels being used as padding for the game. The skill customization system didn't really strike me as interesting, either. Most zones are pretty damn good, although some frustrated me a lot (Seaside Hill Classic, I'm looking at you). Oh, and FUCK the final boss. It was like playing Persona 3 with a thousand Fuukas instead of just one.

Unleashed... I'll be honest - I still didn't beat it completely. I just want to play the action zones, not slog through hub worlds and talk to people wasting time.