A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[freeware] Cave Story

MidimanNull

The general idea is to multitask. Know the layout of the land, then set yourself into comfortable positions of power. Only kill enemies directly in your running path, or if they get too close for comfort. Use the flinch generated from damaging your opponent to halt their progression and divert shots. Hopefully, you saved Curly, so she should have your rear covered with a Nemesis, which leaves you to fire directly ahead and above.

You have the opportunity to upgrade a weapon of choice back to Lv.3 before you get there, IIRC. I recommend the Snake if you have it, because you can put a wall of defense between you and anything too dangerous when necessary, and also take out future threats before you actually have to run into them, thus giving you a faster time, too. If not, the Sword works great, too, thanks to its multi-hitting strength and decent range.

Don't bother with the Bubbler, it doesn't offer enough protection from the legions of enemies crawling all over the place there. The Machine Gun is always the better choice, there.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, I only just beat it a few months ago too. I thought Midi of all people would have beaten it, though.

By "large weight boss", do you mean the giant head?

First I just focus on making it to the ceiling boss with full health and as strong a rocket launcher as possible. ALWAYS make use of Curly, since her Nemesis doesn't downgrade like yours when you get powerups. Then I just spam the rockets at the boss and finish him in a few seconds, just before he does any damage to me.

After that, go in the door to the statue room and break the statues for health and such. First boss is pretty predictable, just jump over him, wait for him to stomp, avoid the aftershock, and unload a fully charged shot.

The second part is pretty easy. It's a matter of knowing when to unleash a full charge, and waiting for the right time. The timer doesn't do much, because I certainly took my time. The hard part is when the spike balls pop up. Squeezing between them is tricky, and then when you're on the platforms and crap.

It helps to have some experience in bullet hell games :E

I was golden when I got to his third and final form. Since I had some health to spare (and this was suggested) all I did was drop down and let the spikes hurt me, and then bypass all the shit that blocks the head and rocket the hell out of his eye one I land on the edge.

Well the final boss is three parts:

The first being the normal dodge and get out of the way type.

The second being a giant stone head that tries to crush you

And third being the head floating in the air with rocks floating around it.

I was referring to this part.

Well the final boss is three parts:

The first being the normal dodge and get out of the way type.

The second being a giant stone head that tries to crush you

And third being the head floating in the air with rocks floating around it.

I was referring to this part.

Hmm...okay. Yeah, you should ignore my previous post. I was drunk and confused.

But, Hell? Spur? I'm still confused about these. Maybe because I never bothered to learn the name of anything.

Hmm...okay. Yeah, you should ignore my previous post. I was drunk and confused.

But, Hell? Spur? I'm still confused about these. Maybe because I never bothered to learn the name of anything.

Extra weapons and shit. There are two final bosses; one where you fight those two guys (It's been about a year since I played that part. One was big, and I think the other was Misery the Witch) and the other final boss has to be unlocked, and is located in "Hell".

The Spur is what you can get if you don't take the Machine gun from Curly. IIRC, it's the one you can charge up.

I forget what all you have to go through to get into Hell (it involves saving Curly, for one), but it should be easy to find out on the internet. Same for all the various weapons you can interchange.

I never could beat the Hell boss (without cheating). I didn't have enough patience to fight a high-difficulty boss that you had to go through the entire lead-up area every time you die.

The Polar Star (your first weapon) was only a prototype for the weapon known as the Spur. The Spur's basic shot is the Polar Star's Level 3 Shot, and instead of gaining experience, it can be charged into a Level 3 hyper beam of death. A great boss killer, but a bit too slow against the final boss of the game. You get the Spur by refusing to trade the Polar Star for the Machine Gun, then going back to where you first got the weapon and giving it to the guy who you stole it from. He'll exchange it for the real deal.

1 year bump much.

In This Thread: Shadix is a woman and is talking without permission.

You have the opportunity to upgrade a weapon of choice back to Lv.3 before you get there, IIRC. I recommend the Snake if you have it, because you can put a wall of defense between you and anything too dangerous when necessary, and also take out future threats before you actually have to run into them, thus giving you a faster time, too. If not, the Sword works great, too, thanks to its multi-hitting strength and decent range.
If im not mistaken, the black wind wipes EVERY weapon to Lv. 1, so that'd be useless. I also have the Spur/Nemesis instead of the above. I'm using the Spur as my main, and the Passageway proves to slap my face, even with 1 silly hit. it's at this point I try to level up the bubbler to avoid the flying butes from touching me and have a faux-shield
Don't bother with the Bubbler, it doesn't offer enough protection from the legions of enemies crawling all over the place there. The Machine Gun is always the better choice, there.
Again, lack it. I don't have the speed to really slam a legion of butes without focusing on levelling up all my weapons for Ballos.

If im not mistaken, the black wind wipes EVERY weapon to Lv. 1, so that'd be useless. I also have the Spur/Nemesis instead of the above. I'm using the Spur as my main, and the Passageway proves to slap my face, even with 1 silly hit. it's at this point I try to level up the bubbler to avoid the flying butes from touching me and have a faux-shield

I believe what he means is at the beginning of Hell there are enough of those triangle to upgrade one weapon fully (or at least to level 3).

Anyway, I have the same weapon setup you do and I have to say, it probably wasn't the best setup for Hell. Probably the worst, actually. The Spur's too slow and the Bubbler's too weak to do its job and both of those weapons won't let you take advantage of Curly's Nemesis. The Nemesis is good, but it's too hard to keep track of not upping it.

Once you get past the insane passage way (remember, once a block hits the ground, it's safe to touch), it's pretty easy to get your HP back up to full by the time you get to the bosses if you take your time and know where and when the enemies are gonna come out of and where the arrows are shooting.

Oh well, that's the easy part.

Anyway, I have the same weapon setup you do and I have to say, it probably wasn't the best setup for Hell. Probably the worst, actually. The Spur's too slow and the Bubbler's too weak to do its job and both of those weapons won't let you take advantage of Curly's Nemesis. The Nemesis is good, but it's too hard to keep track of not upping it.

Of course I wouldn't be using the Nemesis as my main.. Im using the Spur 100% of the time, only switching to other weapons to level them up.