A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Christmas time

Guest Shadix

I need some help coming up with some ideas of stuff I want.

Usually this is really easy, but this year has been rather dry with musthave titles and with the whole OMG NEXTGEN scenario.

I can't decide between a Wii or a 360, and I'm not even sure I really want either. I understand that if I get a Wii I'll get treated to Zelda, but on 360 there is Dead Rising, Sonic Next (I still would want to get it even though everyone is swearing by it sucking), Lost Planet, etc.

Sure, the Wii release list looks nice, but after the DS, I don't feel I can trust developers with this new control system, heck, I don't know if I can trust the motion control at all yet. The last thing I want is to end frustratingly pissed off at unresponsiveness like the eyetoy was plagued with.

I need ideas for gifts altogether. :\

You know.. I was all ready to talk about what games I wanted for the X360. Then I checked the Xbox website and realized.. I only want a few, some of them aren't out yet, and some are best played online which costs money: Gears of War, Phantasy Star Universe, Full Auto, Pocketbike Racer, Table Tennis, Sonic Next, GTA4 and Lost Planet. Now cross off PSU and Gears of War which are better played online, and take into account that Sonic Next isn't really something that should truly influence my console-buying decision. That leaves five. Pocketbike Racer is a BS game that should really influence a $400 purchase either. Scratch that. Lost planet and GTA4 aren't even out yet. So that leaves a year-old game and one that I'll probably bore of relatively quickly.

It's looking the same for the Wii which only has a handful of games out at the moment. I suppose No More Heroes interests me, but that's not even out yet. There's no possible way I'm ever going to get a PS3.

I'm going to have to look like an idiot and tell my mom that I've "changed my mind" and no longer want here to make a $400 purchase. I'll ask for like.. a $70 MP3 player and money or something. Maybe when the prices come down or something. For now I'll like.. ask relatives for things like Puyo Puyo Blast. Heck.. maybe I'll ask for money and buy a relatively cheap/used PS2.

Why is it that I'm the only one who has been nearly as hyped about consoles lately? I wasn't eager after the Dreamcast died and I'm not now. It's not so much that I'm thinking the X360 or Wii will fail- they won't. It's just.. when I bought my Dreamcast I knew it was the best choice out there. Scrolling shooters, a still-awesome Sonic, fighters, RPGs, and puzzle games. Maybe it's the fact that buying a console has now become like buying a computer and they're expensive. Maybe it's that I'm older and I realize that buying a console at that high a price for only a handful of games is incredibly stupid.

Perhaps I should ask for a PS2 and an MP3 player. $130 for a handful of $30 games is incredibly reasonable. Kingdom Hearts 1&2, Devil May Cry 1-3, Final Fantasy X and XII, Guitar Hero 1&2, the Katamari Damacy games, Shadow of the Collosus, Midnight Club III. You're probably thinking: well of course it's got the most games- it's an old console that's about to be replaced. Still though, for the amount of money in question I should want about that many games right off the bat to justify a purchase, no? I suppose I'm being a tad unfair here though, as Guitar Hero is totally coming to the X360.

Meh.. what do you all think of my crazed indecision? xD

If X360 was fully BC, I'd be sold. Jet Set Radio Future? Shenmue II? Panzer Dragoon Orta? Another thing that irks me is Microsoft's online policy. I don't believe in paying after I own something. Microsoft doesn't provide a true "online service". My ISP does. Xbox Live, as far I'm concerned isn't a true internet service. You don't have to call Microsoft and setup a time for them to come and install wires for your internet connection. Xbox Live somewhat like the console equivalent of Firefox or Internet Explorer, both of which are free. Firefox and Internet Explorer act as an interface for accessing the web- but they don't provide the service- your ISP does. Road Runner provides my internet access- not Firefox. I don't have to pay Mozilla or Microsoft money for using IE or Firefox. It should be no different for Xbox Live. It truly pisses me off what they've done with that.

Edit: I suppose Banjo Kazooie 3 could be added to that list. As well as Halo 3 (not to the same extent though). I guess my main problem is basically the online issue then. It's something I want to partake in but something I don't believe in paying for. Neither Nintendo or Playstation are charging and it seems stupid that Microsoft continues to. Afterall the entire appeal of games like PSU, GoW, and Halo are that ::gasp:: they're awesome to play online.

You don't need online to enjoy gears of war...I've actually have yet to take it online. Get a 2nd control and grab a friend and enjoy the amazing co-op mode.

Saints Row is actually a very fun GTA wannabe with it's own flavor added into it. Dead rising is always good fun. There's also Oblivion...can't forget oblivion!

360 actually has a lot going for it right now. And lost planet comes out next month!

ALSO: Don't overlook blue dragon, the new 360 RPG that was released in japan recently. Aparently the game is spectacular.

You don't need online to enjoy gears of war...I've actually have yet to take it online. Get a 2nd control and grab a friend and enjoy the amazing co-op mode.

You're missin' out! Get on live and let's kill some scum.

I normally just ask for money on Christmas and whatever small surprises my family decides to get me. You can always buy videogames later.

SG: You have to admit though, that playing a game like GoW is just so much more fun online. Sure co-op is fun, but I'm not always going to have a relative or friend over here. That would be when online comes in. Plus there are some people who will practically never be at my house. Koray lives in MD, so it's not like I can just walk over to his house plug in my X360 like old times and start playing co-op with him. Then there are my other peeps who are still in NY. And it'd be damned awesome to get shot at/shoot at you all. I checked the 13month subscription and.. it's actually not all that expensive- assuming you're going to play it all the time. Then again- it costs the same amount as a videogame.

Why is it that I'm the only one who has been nearly as hyped about consoles lately? I wasn't eager after the Dreamcast died and I'm not now. It's not so much that I'm thinking the X360 or Wii will fail- they won't. It's just.. when I bought my Dreamcast I knew it was the best choice out there. Scrolling shooters, a still-awesome Sonic, fighters, RPGs, and puzzle games. Maybe it's the fact that buying a console has now become like buying a computer and they're expensive. Maybe it's that I'm older and I realize that buying a console at that high a price for only a handful of games is incredibly stupid.

Perhaps I should ask for a PS2 and an MP3 player. $130 for a handful of $30 games is incredibly reasonable. Kingdom Hearts 1&2, Devil May Cry 1-3, Final Fantasy X and XII, Guitar Hero 1&2, the Katamari Damacy games, Shadow of the Collosus, Midnight Club III. You're probably thinking: well of course it's got the most games- it's an old console that's about to be replaced. Still though, for the amount of money in question I should want about that many games right off the bat to justify a purchase, no? I suppose I'm being a tad unfair here though, as Guitar Hero is totally coming to the X360.

Meh.. what do you all think of my crazed indecision? xD

You aren't. The games have just seemed to get blander. Something that seemed to die with the Dreamcast was creativity and a pretty unique feel to each game. I mean, sure, Ninty games will always have their uniqueness, but nothing new has came out of any of their franchises. The push towards realism has really left me standing back frowning at what the industry is becoming. I mean, the wii may not be about that, but the wii is going to be plagued by titles that attempt "creativity" with the controls that just plain ruin the game. Sure, every now and then we get an awesome title like God of War or Katamari Dimacy or Okami, but it doesn't happen as much as I feel it should.

Shadix: Nice to see that someone else feels the same way. I write stories on gaming and technology for my schoolpaper and this girl in math class asked what my current system was. I said DC, she's been ragging on me ever since. She's never heard of Shenmue I/II, Ikaruga, JGR/JSRG, or Katamari. It sickens me, yet at the same time I feel like I'm "old fashioned" akin to an old man with a cane complaining about how bad music has become and yet in his heyday his choice of music was talked about the same way. Kinda makes me feel "unqualified" to be Technology editor.

In other news, where the hell is my Jet Set Wiidio announcement? Honestly, Sega get your fat behinds in gear. Wiimote = spray can. =/

The Wii is the most ground breaking console ever. Infact it's finally going to own PS3 & 360. With Super Smash Bros. Brawl coming out this June, which will be the best game in history, then you got MP 3:Corruption, Twilight Princess, and other great titles coming out soon, all with online play and the ability to download old games off the VC. Should be on the top of your list.

I personally have a Wii & a PS3 and I think Wii is much better. But if you don't want a wii. You could always get an iPod or Games for one of your consoles.

I have the wii60 as people call it nowadays.

Both systems get a decent amount of my playtime. I love both pretty much equally, but in different ways. The wii satisfies the side of me that wants to be creative and do things in a new way. But if I ever want to kill some bitches or destroy things, there's always my 360 :D

BTW wesker, my gamertag is commander nojj