A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Used Checkpoints

UltimateSonic

@ Damizean: For a bit, I thought you meant you fixed the loop thing I was doing, but I see you just used the X position method. Sure it works and all, but for levels that go both left and right it could turn on a checkpoint from a different spot that you didn't want turned on.

@ Ultimate Sonic: It's just like I said, it seems to either turn none or all checkpoints on. I'm going to try a different approach. I'll upload it in a bit.

@ Ultimate Sonic: It's just like I said, it seems to either turn none or all checkpoints on. I'm going to try a different approach. I'll upload it in a bit.

Looking forward to it =)

@Damizean Ah and I can quite easily do the x positioning way. I'm trying to do this method. Thanks for trying though, Dami ^^

@ Damizean: For a bit, I thought you meant you fixed the loop thing I was doing, but I see you just used the X position method. Sure it works and all, but for levels that go both left and right it could turn on a checkpoint from a different spot that you didn't want turned on.

That would be because MMF is garbage like that and doesn't allow you to construct objects with different initial values for alterable values.

Dami and I were actually talking about this problem earlier.

You've helped me yet again! Thanks! It worked and was implemented into my engine very smoothly!

The water was nice too! I already had water in my engine but it didn't have air bubbles!

I learned alot from your tutorials. I didn't even know it was possible to lock/unlock objects XD

Thanks alot!

o_O Oh and just asking, do you have any good "waves" for the water? (I mean sprites.) If you have some nice ones, could you please direct me towards them? (And tell me who made them)

Thanks ^^

Download Improved Checkpoint Tutorial

I added the waves you wanted ( from Gold Sonic ) plus some extra stuff. This includes bubbles from Sonic's mouth, bubbles that drop a bit then rise when you fall into water, spring collision from the sides, improved water splash detection, water run, and a paralax background. Also thanks to the bubble effect I made where it drops a bit and then rises, you can use it for effects like a river pouring into water that makes bubbles too.

And you're welcome. I enjoy it when I'm able to do something that others appreciate and learn from. It makes me feel like my time wasn't wasted. =D

Btw, do you think this could be accepted to be added to the main site?

Hey guys, what about levels that don't always go left to right..? If this has been addressed I apologise, but...

You would need to find a way to give each individual Starpost its own value, each higher than the one before it. When Sonic touches it, his variable is set to the Starpost's value, and any Starpost with the Sonic variable's value or lower is deactivated.

The problem is that I already know this isn't particularly efficient in MMF or below, because they all have problems differentiating between instances of a single object, particularly if you try to do it with alterable values. You might be able to get away with it in MMF2.

There's a tutorial on it at the main site-tutorial section.

If it's about the drowning numbers, I still want to add it myself. If you're talking about the water movement, mines works differently.

Hey guys, what about levels that don't always go left to right..? If this has been addressed I apologise, but...

You would need to find a way to give each individual Starpost its own value, each higher than the one before it. When Sonic touches it, his variable is set to the Starpost's value, and any Starpost with the Sonic variable's value or lower is deactivated.

The problem is that I already know this isn't particularly efficient in MMF or below, because they all have problems differentiating between instances of a single object, particularly if you try to do it with alterable values. You might be able to get away with it in MMF2.

First, Ultimate Sonic didn't want seperate starposts. Second, I already fixed the problem. =D Thanks for trying to help though.

At the moment I'm trying to make those drowning numbers appear that I forgot to add. I've also made the water move up and down, but I'll upload that after I've added a few more things. I'm trying to make this as good as I can before submitting it. =D

Looking forward to it =)

Right now I have water that just "stands there."

In your tutorial, a water block follows Sonic. Suppose I wanted this in different areas in the level. How would I go about defining the water's "boundaries?"

WaterY=Sin( Angle ) * 3 )

Angle refers to a value that goes from 0 to 360. I hope this is the right equation

---

Oh and are you SURE you want water in only one place of the stage? I mean, its kinda.. useless. I mean, if you wanted to, you can just add a value that "disables" the water by setting it somewhere untouchable.

My equation was very similar, but it used some different numbers for it to work. Yours would send the water flying across the top and bottom of the stage believe it or not.

@ Ultimate Sonic: You saying that you want certain areas to have different levels of water? If yes, that would mean having to have different objects ( or a bunch of tiny ones ) spread around where you want them and it would also mean having to duplicate the water events for each pool. In other words, a lot of effort that I personally don't see necessary.

You could however do something where at a certain point, the water stops following and after travelling some distance, the water is back but at a different height. It would require some math and such, but it could be done. Maybe later I could show it if that's what you'd want.

Btw, I am still trying to get it finished, it's just that Thanksgiving Dinner got in the way of me continuing. Just letting you know that it might be done tomorrow.

@LarkSS

Take your time! Enjoy Thanks Giving! ^^

You could however do something where at a certain point, the water stops following and after travelling some distance, the water is back but at a different height. It would require some math and such, but it could be done. Maybe later I could show it if that's what you'd want.

I'd be interested in this. (Also, just wondering, what is a good size for the window to be for my project)

@LarkSS

Take your time! Enjoy Thanks Giving! ^^

I'd be interested in this. (Also, just wondering, what is a good size for the window to be for my project)

Depends on your sprite size. You'd certainly have to see where you're going!

I usually shoot for something hella small. 256 x 224 or so is NES and SNES, I think

GBA is more like 320 x 200

Also, just wondering, what is a good size for the window to be for my project

I'd recommend 320x200 like I'm using if you're going to use advanced or genesis style sprites since their size is pretty small so there's no need for it to be any bigger. Also if you think it's difficult to see in front of you at high speeds with that screen size, there are camera tricks to have it scroll in front of you as you run. I didn't add one as I was trying to copy the Sonic 2 camera.

Also, Download Checkpoint Tutorial

This version contains moving water, drowning numbers, reripped bubble sprites ( by me =D ) that have a better color palette than the old ones and 2 extra frames of animation where the bubble is mini and grows into a little bubble, a Sonic 2 sprite I compiled this morning ( I downloaded a Sonic 2 sprite off of sfghq that had each animation as a seperate pic and I couldn't help but put them together ), skidding, pushing, and spindashing. The Sonic 2 sprite has a few bonus animations that weren't used in the tutorial as well.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that it also shows how to make bubbles appear from an explosion that occured underwater.