A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

(Unnamed MMORPG) Content Drive!

Smidge204

Yeah, I'm not going away :P

Last month's topic on this subject generated a good amount of buzz but very little came of it.

DimensionWarped has basically taken lead on the map layout, which I would like to see Streak Thunderstorm involved in if he is interested since we can thank him for the awesome map we're using as a starting point. Aki-at was also contributing to the map in the previous thread so he is welcome to continue with that if he wants.

At present, I have restricted players to the Kingdom of Mercia:

mercia.png

On these maps, 1 game tile = 2x2 pixel square.

My goal for the August 1st contest deadline (eg next SAGE) is to basically complete this part of the map 100%. All graphics, NPCs, quests, etc. Despite the size of the image, in-game is it actually a pretty large chunk of land.

Some of you expressed interest in helping with this before, so if you are still interested this is your chance. This entire island is going to end up SatAM themed, so that is the only constraint. (again, the entire game is NOT specific to any Sonic univserse) This is a community project so anyone who cares to get involved is invited to do so!

Some discussion points:

What characters would a player encounter here?

What adventures could players be engaged in?

What places are there to visit and what would they be like?

What kind of history does this place have and what stories can be told about it?

=Smidge=

I'd expect to bump into a few regulars of the Satam series there (although i've never seen the show so I don't really know) and areas like Robtropolis, Knothole castles and maybe the boarder between these two locations?

As a few quests I could think of off the top of my head.

- Power rings deplishen, need more to keep defence at Knothole up

- Rescue certain citazens from Robotropolis

- Pass a message of royality from Knothole to Soleeana (obviously later on in the game)

I guess you could put down Knothole's royal histroy as part of the island's backstory but I can't really think of much else at the moment.

Streak: That's all fine and good, just remember that the game is not SatAM specific. The only reason players are currently stuck on the island is because there is nothing else! For the sake of getting something done I'd like to focus on this particular location for awhile.

And I agree that this would make a good quest, so who's going to write it? :) That's the problem I face... I'm terrible at creative stuff but once someone fills in the who's where's what's and when's I can create the necessary NPCs, items and code to make it happen.

=Smidge=