A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Looking for help developing MMORPG

Smidge204

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By browser based is this going to be like a constantly refreshing page, javascript based? I don't quite understand the premise.

I started coming up with a whole continuity for an MMO, with map sketches and stuff, but that never really got anywhere as I lack the programming know-how to put one together.

Edit: *realizes this topic has inflated 6 pages in 1 day*

I'm going to read over this again.

definately can't pull up IRC at work unless you can find me one to access from java. If not, I can probably hop on after 1:30am to discuss with you guys.

What time zone? o.O

I'm (almost) always available from 5PM to 10PM Eastern US time.

Shadix: It used to be like that, but I'm rewriting it with an AJAX framework so all the updating happens behind the scenes. It's not "live" though - no data updates without user input of some kind.

=Smidge=

I was messing with the demo, abusing it as much as I possibly could (searched single tiles several times, placing several signposts in one tile, moving as much as I could as far as I could). Anyway, somehow I became Epon whenever over-searching a forest. I couldn't move and, though the Map Coordinates had changed to (presumably) what is Epon's position, the Map View was still the forest on the beach I was at before. Then I reloaded the page and I fully became Epon and was able to move and everything (and made him choke on a couple of rocks, apparantly).

Anyway, I have no idea exactly how it happened, but it happened when I was picking up some moss or some other forest item. It seemed like maybe it was because I overloaded my inventory or something. Or it could be completely unrelated to what I was doing when it happened. Anyway, I'm in Epon's login and can't get out.

Edit: Also, my browser is Firefox 1.5.0.7

Too bad movement is so incredibly tedious right now, perhaps widening the window to somethingl like 5x5 to make things seems more open? Of course once you have detailed graphics and such things will be better.

I also tossed in info regarding a potential ila project somewhere in the 200 ranges.

Anyway Smidge I would love to help out more but let's face it: you'd get more help from a brick commitment wise. At least the brick stays in one place.

I was messing with the demo, abusing it as much as I possibly could (searched single tiles several times, placing several signposts in one tile, moving as much as I could as far as I could). Anyway, somehow I became Epon whenever over-searching a forest. I couldn't move and, though the Map Coordinates had changed to (presumably) what is Epon's position, the Map View was still the forest on the beach I was at before. Then I reloaded the page and I fully became Epon and was able to move and everything (and made him choke on a couple of rocks, apparantly).

Anyway, I have no idea exactly how it happened, but it happened when I was picking up some moss or some other forest item. It seemed like maybe it was because I overloaded my inventory or something. Or it could be completely unrelated to what I was doing when it happened. Anyway, I'm in Epon's login and can't get out.

Edit: Also, my browser is Firefox 1.5.0.7

That... that is friggin wierd! I'll look into that tonight.

In the meantime, I added a "Logout" and "Refresh" links at the top right. Refresh just does a reinit of the data (Not a hard reset - you still need to use F5 to get changes to the javascript code and CSS). logout links you to "login.php?mode=4" which kills your session.

=Smidge=

For some reason the left and top left movement squares aren't working for me. The Bottom left works just fine though.

Edit: Nevermind, relogging took care of that.

Edit2: This claiming territory deal is strangely entertaining >_>. Now we just need to be able to label territory.

Idea: Maybe certain tiles can certain benefits, such as a mine or something, and ppls could build stuff on territory they own.

Posting signs is not the same as "claiming" terratory. They are really just supposed to be a means for users to leave semi-permanent messages. In the finished game they will not be so common.

There is an IRC "development chat" if anyone is interested. irc.rizon.net channel #urbansonic - I'll probably be hanging out there all the time and will respond if I happen to be in front of a computer at the time. Drop on by!

=Smidge=