A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Looking for help developing MMORPG

Smidge204

... I used an older map, so if someone could merge these and maybe touch them up, that'd be great.

Also, lets try to put some Archie content on the Western Continent. That continent is very empty right now. And Im sure Smidge doesn't want me filling it with Jonopolis crap.

ShadowMap.PNG

By the way, a quick explanation... most of what I added in SoTH related content. I'm assuming a highway goes between Westopolis and Central City... and that SA2 took place mostly in central city (presidential presence), so both highway stages are on that highway... probably we'll want to rename them since the StH names were really weak.

Pink locations are the theme park, castle, and bases owned by Eggman. The dark red is stuff owned by GUN military. One is an underground base, one is carved pretty much into the face of a mountain.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fixed the "null" sign post bug, so selecting cancel when planting a sign post now actually cancels instead of posting a sign that reads "null". There has also been a lot of internal function fixing going on the past few days.

Today I improved the map editor, which is somewhat important considering it will be used to place the expected 1,000,000+ tiles ued in the finished game. I now consider it refined enough that other people can use it to start designing maps!

http://smidge204.homeftp.net:84/USEditor.rar

Documentation is included. READ IT BEFORE USING.

=Smidge=

Winrar = Winnar

Thanks! I'll look at these right away.

Edit: Assuming a roughly Earth-like size for Mobius, with these images 1 pixel = 3 miles. If we adjust to the current game map scale (1 tile = 8.7 miles) then each tile would represent a square 3x3 pixels on this map. That would actually make the world map slightly smaller (347,222 tiles versus the current 660,436).

Where'd you get this, Streak?

Edit edit: Nevermind, it says RIGHT ON IT where the image came from. Also gives size: 7,934 miles diameter (same as Earth's). My math is also off, I used diameter and not circumference... 1 pixel = 9.96 miles, so to keep the game map roughly the same dimensions I'd have to have like 1 tile = 30 miles. I'm off to concept-mobius.com to see if what they're up to... NOTHING! The domain is occupies by a link farm.

=smidge=

I'm very intrigued. The humongous coastal desert area seems a bit improbable to me though. Do you have plans of porting this over to something a bit more game-y, like a Shockwave or Java client? It's a great concept, but an unexciting hyperlink-riddled Javascript client isn't enough to keep me (or a lot of people) interested for too long. It doesn't have to be anything amazing.

Here's a thought:

Have a VB client with an auto-updater sort of thing. Download the world map to the client's computer so the client isn't constantly requesting and retrieving map data. A downloadable client wouldn't really be that hard to do (considering twodee made one...) and you'd open yourself up to a lot more opportunities.

I'd be willing to help out in that aspect as well. Also, if we get something like this developed, I'd be willing to toss together a few music tracks for it.

Sage: No. :D

A dedicated client would not effect game play at all because the server is still HTTP/PHP/MySQL based. All you would be doing is increasing the complexity and computer requirements while decreasing the flexability and compatability.

Plus, browser based games are an entire genre in themselves. I'm fairly sure this is one of the most advanced out there in terms of interface, too.

=Smidge=

The big reason to use a client based system would be if you wanted to have more complex graphics and just a better UI in general. Since Smidge already said that he doesn't want this to be highly graphic oriented, that only leaves the UI advantages, so thats pretty much out of the picture right there.

I've gotta say though Streak, Tech really trips the lights fantastic when it comes to this kind of crap.