A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

question

Serephim

why does nobody post anything to actually play anymore

posting a page of screenshots and a youtube video is no different than a wall of ambitious text imo

edit: a thread like lake or highwire's original projects are understandable 

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

I disagree, I find images/videos to be much more amusing than a wall of text. Besides, I wouldn't think that they're equivalent seeing that it's proof that the fan game is actually being developed. Anyone can just type a full post of anything, and like Jassbec said some people may not want to publish unfinished work. It's better to receive feedback on your progress before putting out the project anyway, I suppose any other reason anyone would want to showcase their project is to get the word out.

Btw, isn't this in the wrong section?

Edited by Nefault1st
  • Like 2

I disagree, I find images/videos to be much more amusing than a wall of text. Besides, I wouldn't think that they're equivalent seeing that it's proof that the fan game is actually being developed. Anyone can just type a full post of anything, and like Jassbec said some people may not want to publish unfinished work. It's better to receive feedback on your progress before putting out the project anyway, I suppose any other reason anyone would want to showcase their project is to get the word out.

Btw, isn't this in the wrong section?

I understand people not wanting to put out bad playing or ugly looking work, but I feel like a fangaming community should be a bit more hands-on. Original graphics and spritesets for projects is nearly commonplace now, but considering how easy it is to gain access to a stable, working sonic engine these days i find it odd how there's nothing to play.

don't wanna start soapboxing or anything, just curious

dunno if in wrong section, thread is aimed at this section though.

Edited by Serephim

I understand people not wanting to put out bad playing or ugly looking work, but I feel like a fangaming community should be a bit more hands-on. Original graphics and spritesets for projects is nearly commonplace now, but considering how easy it is to gain access to a stable, working sonic engine these days i find it odd how there's nothing to play.

don't wanna start soapboxing or anything, just curious

dunno if in wrong section, thread is aimed at this section though.

Despite having Sonic engines to work with, creating a fan game can still be very time-consuming. Whether it be because of the music we need(as far as I can tell, just about everyone here wants to go for a custom soundtrack), custom sprites (exclusive to their project), and most of all, glitches to fix. No engine is perfect, and even some of the things we add to it needs some polishing. If this community were to be more hands-on, I guarantee just about every fan game here coming from commonly used engines would be more generic than they already are.

• Like 2

I've found this to be the case here for a long time, and a lot of it just stems I think from what other people have stated in this thread. Also fangames are not really...well - important I guess in the long run. Making games is a lot of time and effort, so even with premade engines people are at the point where the vanilla engines don't do it for a lot of people. Modifying the engines to be unique takes time to learn/do. The audience is looking now for things to differentiate these games from one another because there is definitely a lot of surface level similarities between every fan game out there (which to be fair is to be expected). So like Nefault said, its got a lot to do with that I think. Fangames are growing larger and more complex.

But also a lot to do with my first point. People get their fangame started and then they work on it a bit, but not to the point where there is a demo available to play and then just stop it. So many projects have come and go - and hell I started a fangame back in 2008-2009 about Knuckles that I didn't get super far with just due to the fact that life got busy (college). Axing a fangame out of my list of projects was the easiest decision to come to haha. I think a lot of people probably make that same choice.

Then you get people who just wait for SAGE which imo, is alright because they are held twice a year now it seems and that is a good chunk of time between each one to develop a game further in your spare time.

Not everyone is going to make playable builds every time an update is presented.

Screens and videos are a lot better than MY ULTIMATE SANIC FAN GAME text walls with zone lists and character rosters.

Properly preparing and finalizing a worthwhile demo is not easy, and it takes time.

Lastly, making fangames is now a more complicated affair since the era of built-in platform movement and level graphics made out of lib rips ended.

Pretty sure I'm just saying what others have mentioned above but,

Personally, I'm also cool with screenshots and videos as again, there are times where the current build just isn't ready for others to play.

Using my game as an example, Horrible glitches, Level Design Quirks, unfinished mechanics and a mysterious memory leak that I can't seem to find the source of.

Also, looking back at all my previous demo's that I did release, I realise that there wasn't much of a difference between them until I released the SAGE 2012 demo meaning another reason why I wouldn't release a demo is because the lack of any new content to distinguish them from the last version. Hell, the current build I have at the moment still resembles the SAGE 2012 demo in terms of structure and content except with mechanics added or refined.

Edited by Chaos-Fusion

I'm not really good at making fan games. And also because of how a time-eater (No pun intended) fan games usually take.

I would say that someone should make a "Making a Fan-game for beginners" topic, but then again, you can just go to Youtube and find out for yourself. But regardless, if someone made a topic like that, I'd be very interested to post my updates on a fan game that I want to work on.