A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

hey guys I'm starting posting stuff on my Sonic fangame "Sonic aftermath"

As the name tells it takes place after Sonic the hedgehog 1 (now I know that you'll say "But sonic bts..." I don't care I got the idea like a year before sonic before the sequel.. so...)

So the story simply tells how sonic and tails met and how the death egg was builded.

But this time its not told with cutscenes since i wanted to keep the classic sonic game style so no cutscenes... there will be a few like the cutscenes seen in sonic the hedgehog 2 and 3

The gameplay is basicly untouched although there will be a few of new gimmiks and enemies

as well as all new bosses and levels.

But enjoy... I guess... I really need to think about these :/ post-5550-0-29501100-1403887638_thumb.pn

*Update* New logo made it today took about 30 minutes... post-5550-0-18823400-1403941383_thumb.pn

that is not the final version!

Edited by PixelClassics

Okay, the fact that the plot of the game is similar to BTS is fine with me (especially since you said that you had the idea before Lake, which I'm gonna believe), but just by the look of the title screen, I can tell the similarities will go beyond that. The blue ring, the sky background, and even Sonic and Tails being there (to a certain extent) is what I mean. Speaking of which, I think you should space them closer together if you still want to keep them there. Also, try to make the "AFTERMATH" text smaller than the "SONIC" text. The name "Sonic Aftermath" in itself is similar to BTS due to the fact that Lake released a game called Sonic BTS Aftermath. Anyway, I can't wait to see the screenshots and I hope it'll be more original.

Edited by Proto Dan
  • Like 1

Oh god, here we go again.

Hey, I know you said this was an idea you had before BtS, and yeah, I can believe that, it does happen....

...But from that Title Screen, like Dan said, makes this looks EXTREMELY similar to BtS.

Like my old fangame, Sonic From the Beginning... (Notice the similarities in the title screen? It was one of the first things done).

I'm not against the idea of another Sonic 1/2 interquel (?), in fact, I welcome it as long as you do something different that Lake did. Gives us your own unique take on what you think happened.

Be warned though, the fact that this is a Sonic 1/2 interquel WILL bring a lot of negativity to your game, and you're probably not going to be able to escape it unless you do something unlike anything Lake has done before.

I look forward to your own unique take.

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 1

Okay, the fact that the plot of the game is similar to BTS is fine with me (especially since you said that you had the idea before Lake, which I'm gonna believe), but just by the look of the title screen, I can tell the similarities will go beyond that. The blue ring, the sky background, and even Sonic and Tails being there (to a certain extent) is what I mean. Speaking of which, I think you should space them closer together if you want to keep them there. Also, try to make the "AFTERMATH" text smaller than the "SONIC" text. The name Sonic Aftermath in itself is similar to BTS due to the fact that Lake released a game called Sonic BTS Aftermath. Anyway, I can't wait to see the screenshots and I hope it'll be more original.

Oh god, here we go again.

Hey, I know you said this was an idea you had before BtS, and yeah, I can believe that, it does happen....

...But from that Title Screen, like Dan said, makes this looks EXTREMELY similar to BtS.

Like my old fangame, Sonic From the Beginning... (Notice the similarities in the title screen? It was one of the first things done).

I'm not against the idea of another Sonic 1/2 interquel (?), in fact, I welcome it as long as you do something different that Lake did. Gives us your own unique take on what you think happened.

Be warned though, the fact that this is a Sonic 1/2 interquel WILL bring a lot of negativity to your game, and you're probably not going to be able to escape it unless you do something unlike anything Lake has done before.

I look forward to your own unique take

Guys... for dear lord... nothing here is finished... it will look like very diffrent from the final version that is only the beta title screen I could allmost say that there is not going to be any similaraties between this and the final relese ya know

if you really take it that seriusly i remember lake posting a topic about how he dosen't care of other people taking ideas from his games.... but... well lets see how will i do.

Edited by PixelClassics

You could have said that in the first post. If you truly mean nothing in the final will look like it, then I'm going to trust you. The title screen is honestly the ONLY impression of your game we have so far, so you can't blame us for talking about it. And yes, I know Lake couldn't care less about what you do if you learn from it. We had a discussion about this "rip-off/inspiration/look-a-like" thing very recently, you should take a close look at it if you haven't, it must be somewhere around the bottom section of the forum. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and trust that you'll do something completely different and original. Good luck, man.

• Like 1

You could have said that in the first post. If you truly mean nothing in the final will look like it, then I'm going to trust you. The title screen is honestly the ONLY impression of your game we have so far, so you can't blame us for talking about it. And yes, I know Lake couldn't care less about what you do if you learn from it. We had a discussion about this "rip-off/inspiration/look-a-like" thing very recently, you should take a close look at it if you haven't, it must be somewhere around the bottom section of the forum. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and trust that you'll do something completely different and original. Good luck, man.

I'm not blaming you guys there will be gameplays posted later.

oh btw look at the new title screen i made thanks :)

That new title screen really needs some work, but it's decent looking, and are those default paint.net textures/effects in the aftermath text? Those don't really look good. (I'll post a more useful critique later, I'm too tired to think, haha) Anyway, looking forward to some gameplay! (Don't rush it though, take your time).

First of all, you should've had more than a title screen (one that you said won't even look like the final version) when making this topic, but whatever, I'm not a mod. But if it really looks nothing like what the final version will look like, then why are you posting it as the only visual proof of your fan game?

Also, I don't know if the second image you uploaded is (close to) the final title screen or what, but I'm still gonna criticize it (doing it for the Jass). Sonic blends in with the ring too much, the colors on that ring don't really go together (in my opinion), the "AFTERMATH" text should still be smaller, the Paint.NET thing Jassbec mentioned, and there better be at least one city level in the actual game if you want to use that background.

I'd be happy to help if you need more people on your dev team.

I would also like to take a stab at criticizing your logo (the more information, the better, eh?)

Not only does Sonic blend into the ring, the details all blend in because the inner color is so similar. I can barely see the stars! Using a complementary color would be the best option, as that will make it pop more. (I recommend orange for the outer rims and the stars, as that will make them pop out off the blue inner section.)

Banner is fine, I suppose. The original red also really stood out from the blue and yellow (notice the theming of primary colors here.) If I had to nitpick, the large amount of yellow is a little hard on the eyes.

Background is okay, but I hope that is actually reflects an ingame location.

As for the AFTERMATH writing, I dislike the overly simple letters. There is no detail aside from some checkerboard dithering on them. I think that it would seriously benefit from some detailing to make it unique, and not just some generic font.

Oh, and I wish you best of luck with this project. Can't wait to see more and I hope you'll be joining us at SAGE.

Edited by Betaman

First of all, you should've had more than a title screen (one that you said won't even look like the final version) when making this topic, but whatever, I'm not a mod. But if it really looks nothing like what the final version will look like, then why are you posting it as the only visual proof of your fan game?

Also, I don't know if the second image you uploaded is (close to) the final title screen or what, but I'm still gonna criticize it (doing it for the Jass). Sonic blends in with the ring too much, the colors on that ring don't really go together (in my opinion), the "AFTERMATH" text should still be smaller, the Paint.NET thing Jassbec mentioned, and there better be at least one city level in the actual game if you want to use that background.

I'd be happy to help if you need more people on your dev team.

ok people nothing is finished i just made this topic  to show you guys how i get from 

post-5550-0-29501100-1403887638_thumb.pn to whatever the final version will look like and thank you it would be lovely if you joined my dev team
also why do you people hate paint.net?

I would also like to take a stab at criticizing your logo (the more information, the better, eh?)

Not only does Sonic blend into the ring, the details all blend in because the inner color is so similar. I can barely see the stars! Using a complementary color would be the best option, as that will make it pop more. (I recommend orange for the outer rims and the stars, as that will make them pop out off the blue inner section.)

Banner is fine, I suppose. The original red also really stood out from the blue and yellow (notice the theming of primary colors here.) If I had to nitpick, the large amount of yellow is a little hard on the eyes.

Background is okay, but I hope that is actually reflects an ingame location.

As for the AFTERMATH writing, I dislike the overly simple letters. There is no detail aside from some checkerboard dithering on them. I think that it would seriously benefit from some detailing to make it unique, and not just some generic font.

Oh, and I wish you best of luck with this project. Can't wait to see more and I hope you'll be joining us at SAGE.

The background is the background of the first or second level (haven't chosen yet)

anyway thank you for the critique ill try my best to make it better

it's still not finished like nothing i done is...

hope i'll do better in the future!

Thank you. 

Well I have an idea, make that background the first zone so you start in a now non functional scrap brain zone... maybe call it dead brain zone or something like that... Just an idea

Well that was a idea I had a long time ago but I want it to start from where the last game left the story but ill probably gonna use that "Dead brain zone" idea somewhere!

Thank you for the idea!

-PixelClassics

Well do you have any ideas for gimmicks or set-pieces in the zone? Having memorable scenes and areas in the first zone really sets up the idea that this is going to be a good experience.

I have a TON of ideas and gimmicks for the level

like the 3rd act you escape *SPOILERS* Robotniks train mech that he tries to crush you with.

although I'm having having a major problem with the level being too hard so ill work on that :/

so yea i think that idea is pretty good.

as well as some hidden rooms and stuff with life and ring monitors

then I'm working on new enemies and other hazards for the level. plus im working on special stages

Not enough rings! :thumbdown:

:SonicRun:-darn....

post-5550-0-38087100-1404058810_thumb.pn

Here you guys go i tried to fix all the problems you had so here it is...

Enjoy!

attachicon.gifsonic aftermath logo.png

Enjoy!

ok that looks very stupid :/ i know ill do something be right back!

post-5550-0-64668100-1404059531_thumb.pn

The last one i posted looked really stupid so i fixed it

Any comments?

anyway enjoy!

Edited by P3DR0

Hmm. Well your newest title looks to be a combination of your previous two attempts. It still looks a little wonky, though your second logo looked fine. All that it really needed was a few color changes and a bit of change to the AFTERMATH text. Something like this:

JOLjuWA.png

This is just a suggestion of something you could do, and my example is undeniably flawed. If you want to use your latest title screen, use it.

Hmm. Well your newest title looks to be a combination of your previous two attempts. It still looks a little wonky, though your second logo looked fine. All that it really needed was a few color changes and a bit of change to the AFTERMATH text. Something like this:

JOLjuWA.png

This is just a suggestion of something you could do, and my example is undeniably flawed. If you want to use your latest title screen, use it.

Thank you for the idea I'll try making it better.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

So I think I might acctually cancle this game because I'm gonna start on my own game that is not a sonic game but obviosly nobody cares :/

People care, i mean this is a sonic fangame commuity, there were some people looking forward for aftermath

I don't has quotes here, but LakeFeperd pretty much once said somewhere that you make fan games for yourself, whether as a learning experience or just because you like doing it; you shouldn't have to do everything people want you to with it; you don't even have to finish it. That said, however, you'll never get anywhere without conviction and devotion; you can start up a Sonic fan game because you want to make one then close it without a single screenshot posted, but all it'll do is show a lack of integrity.

I suggest you sit down and rethink why you started Aftermath and if you really want to cancel it; after you've done that, go ahead in the direction that's what you really want; the outcome may surprise you!

I don't has quotes here, but LakeFeperd pretty much once said somewhere that you make fan games for yourself, whether as a learning experience or just because you like doing it; you shouldn't have to do everything people want you to with it; you don't even have to finish it. That said, however, you'll never get anywhere without conviction and devotion; you can start up a Sonic fan game because you want to make one then close it without a single screenshot posted, but all it'll do is show a lack of integrity.

I suggest you sit down and rethink why you started Aftermath and if you really want to cancel it; after you've done that, go ahead in the direction that's what you really want; the outcome may surprise you!

You know what? I am still working on the game I just tough about pushing it away for a little while but since i can't make character sprites for my indie game I'll leave it for a while and gonna go back to aftermath also there will be a few screenshots posted in a few days!