A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Spark the electric jester - (DEMO v3 BETA)

Spark the Electric Jester - Id love to write a review on it, but for now my over all opinion  is - boring - 4/10

Are you just copy+pasting this now on all the SAGE game threads? And those are some pretty low scores you're giving out. Like, I would never give anything Lake made lower than a 7/10.

Edited by Proto Dan
  • Like 1

Are you just copy+pasting this now on all the SAGE game threads? And those are some pretty low scores you're giving out. Like, I would never give anything Lake made lower than a 7/10.

No, not really.

and Saying "Anything Lake made" makes it sound very much Like your giving lake a free pass just cause he is who he is, like how people praise Zelda just cause its Zelda when the game is mediocre or lame. 

I think Spark has a direction but its not as yet a very good game.

some of the mechanics don't seem to be fleshed out well enough. not to mention how the levels themselves

Edited by Pulse0

You crapped on Overture earlier; you said it was "eh"; you're just shitposting on games which are popular so you can get attention, saying you can't be bothered to write a review but you give it and random score you feel like slapping on it anyway. I don't know what this is supposed to build up to, but all it's doing right now is making you look immature.

You're new here, you don't appear to have a project going on; I'd suggest actually making a game so you can learn to appreciate the effort that comes from the content creators and stop posting half-assed "critiques" saying you'd "love to write a review" on them. You want to write a review? By all means, go ahead, but at least put some effort in.

• Like 3

You crapped on Overture earlier; you said it was "eh"; you're just shitposting on games which are popular so you can get attention, saying you can't be bothered to write a review but you give it and random score you feel like slapping on it anyway. I don't know what this is supposed to build up to, but all it's doing right now is making you look immature.

You're new here, you don't appear to have a project going on; I'd suggest actually making a game so you can learn to appreciate the effort that comes from the content creators and stop posting half-assed "critiques" saying you'd "love to write a review" on them. You want to write a review? By all means, go ahead, but at least put some effort in.

No, im not saying I cant be bothered to write a review. Actually i just don't know were to post one - Id much like to make a review i just wanted whom ever it concerns to ask me to do so. So guess in that regard I am looking for attention :\

So where do i post it here?

PS: as for the DiY comment. I do know what goes into making one jsyk, and I'm working on a few, currently. :\

I dont sh*tpost either.

Edited by Pulse0

I'm not here to flamewar, so I'm just going to end by saying that you should know that this isn't what you do if you wish to critique; you can review people's games whether they want you to or not.

And, on shitposting, considering the fact that you're just handing out one liner critiques stating that the games are unimpressive, I'd be honestly surprised if you weren't trying to shit post.

Now, I'm outta here before Pedro comes for my ass.

Ridiculing someone for posting bad criticism is pretty weak. Giving a below-average critic score without explaining why is also weak. Someone doesn't have to be a game creator to critique a game. That's just silly.

and Saying "Anything Lake made" makes it sound very much Like your giving lake a free pass just cause he is who he is, like how people praise Zelda just cause its Zelda when the game is mediocre or lame.

Zelda, huh. I'd actually be intrigued by the completely unprovoked Zelda bash...IF Egoraptor didn't recently put out a video bashing it for 30 minutes. 

If you're giving criticism, you should know what you're getting into when you decide to harshly criticize something highly praised with no basis for why you're doing it. You're just asking for nobody to listen to you.

I still can't believe this is just a fan game.  :stare:

And also

LakeFeperd, on 12 Aug 2014 - 5:54 PM, said:snapback.png

OvWd8EX.png

Crossposting from the sonic retro thread:

"This is a "rage" bar. (I still have no name for it, any ideas?)
It’s a bar that’s raised by your normal attacks, once it’s full you can charge and release a more powerfull charge shot. Depending on your position you can take out the first boss in one shot with that blast.
If this is overpowered, I’m not really sure yet, the idea is to add a new way to beat boss battles that gives an incentive to use both normal attacks and the charge shot instead of just using one or the other.
For the stages, it should be rare for the player to fill the whole bar during a stage since it starts depleting atfer a while, unless it’s an specific section.”

Please ignore the green square.
Anyway, after I make a few more changes, there should be an update for the demo coming soon.

I think that's not over kill as long as you don't get it easy and like maybe what thevaleev said maybe you could call it the Voltage Bar or something along those lines.

Edited by savsound

Well, just played the demo again.

Overall Pros:
---------------------------------------
- Music is catchy
- Powers are fun
- Bosses are all fun to fight
- Platforming physics feel very natural
- Levels feel rich and interesting

Overall Cons:

------------------------------------
- Second level felt waaay too long
- Sucks to have your power replaced with no prompt or ability to pick up the old
- I'm not too sure why you lose powers upon taking damage
- It's also hard to visually tell when you've lost said power

Bugs:
------------------------
- If you chargeshot while holding the signpost, you'll break the victory sequence and the timer will be stuck on the screen forever

- Not sure if bug, but for some reason, boss checkpoint in second level starts you with 0 health. There are 3 health pickups literally right under you, but it's still a bit redundant.

Specifics:
-----------------------
- A personal criticism of mine with your games Lake, they suffer what i'm going to call "experience exhaustion" due to pacing in some areas. The joy of playing through the second act expired halfway through, and eventually i just kind of wanted it to end. I think you should condense some of the longer levels, or at least include minibosses or something during the long stretches. You do eventually flesh out the gimmicks in them, but it just feels like it takes way too long. Luckly the boss was fun.

-Bunnykill samurai boss on act 2 was really fun. I wish you had included a sword pickup right before the entrance for sword duel. I do think i actually laughed out loud at the death animation.

- First time I beat him though, I walked into the hazard floor and died. Felt cheated. Again, luckly the boss was fun.

- I do not feel like there is a valid reason why the powerups are lost upon taking damage, especially when they feel so far between. It'd be neat if, at least during the course of the stage, you can toggle between powers you picked up. THEN it'd probably feel justified to lose them through damage. Especially when a power like the Sword actually takes an ability away from you.

- 'A' is a bad default key for the special action.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

Here is my review:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YVs9-F6QWH2aFw6X_T995fGeFBa6c6ug5o-VBgCqdVU/pub

get back to me with what you think please... :)

I think the biggest problem is that you're still reviewing it as a sonic-style game. And that your grading skills are exceptionally wack, Good visuals, good sound, mediocre gameplay, immediate 4/10? I think a better score would be 6/10. Also I don't think you're taking in the fact that it's a beta demonstration

I think the biggest problem is that you're still reviewing it as a sonic-style game. And that your grading skills are exceptionally wack, Good visuals, good sound, mediocre gameplay, immediate 4/10? I think a better score would be 6/10. Also I don't think you're taking in the fact that it's a beta demonstration

I'm not reviewing it as a Sonic game, im actually talking against the game when I compare it to Sonic, that misconception alone shows I'm not to good with explaining myself. :\

More like above average graphics - Good sound - Gameplay bad/below average.  = 4/10

I do take in fact its a beta that why I said these things can be changed & Gameplay holds the most weight.

( might have left out a few things since my pc kept crashing but what you see is the bulk of my thoughts - just wish i could translate that to English better )

Thanks for the response i appreciate it

Edited by Pulse0

I concur with Zig and Taz. Using number ratings are most likely not a good idea, IMO unless used with very descriptive review. but still they're eh. Also reviewing a beta is a tad early. A demo yeah I can dig that a bit more than reviewing a beta but as your first effort I'll bite. Still haven't watched it yet but maybe soon.

• Like 1

@pulse

This is Poe's incomplete counter-review of Pulse's incomplete review of an incomplete game.

Giving a "professional" review for spark now is like giving a professional review for the early access release of a game. It just doesn't make sense, the game is no where near complete. The reason people release early demos is so they know what they can improve on. You however, have rushed into a review, expecting this to be a full experience. You have given no time for this game to grow. This point is also proven by the fact that you hindered the games score based on things that will be changed it the future, such as the leftover sonic sounds and graphics.

I believe the foreground is flat for a reason: The background is quite 3D. If the foreground had a decent amount of depth more than it does already, it would be too visual, and it would be hard to focus on your character. Just look at Chaotix. I believe the bosses are supposed be similar. That's the whole point of the game, I think. They're similar, but different enough where each experience with a boss still feels fresh. This is the one thing I agree on: Enemies are quite simplistic, and offer no reward for defeating them. I do believe the enemies will get harder when the levels progress in the final game, and I would also guess it's not too late for lake to add some kind of reward for defeating enemies.

When reviewing, I believe you should not critique a game based on the choice of control that the player uses. You critiqued the keyboard, and how it is "harder" for someone to pull off advanced type moves. This type of thing should not even be in the review, especially when the player has a choice. When I played spark, I chose not to play with my controller, because I play these kinds of combat heavy games better with a keyboard. Sonic, on the other hand, I do play with a controller, because of the type of precision needed to play a game like sonic skillfully. This brings me to another point.

I firmly believe you should never compare a game to another game when reviewing, unless it is a direct sequel to a previously released game. I would go so far to say not even indirect sequels, or maybe even prequels. I let one of my friends play this game. He asked me when playing, "hey, aren't those sonic sound effects?". I said, "Yes they are, in fact, this game was built on top of a sonic engine." He was pretty surprised. He could see why though, after I told him.

80% is an awfully specific number.

The level design of the second level, while long, is pretty good. It's more oriented towards platforming, which brings me to pitfalls. I have never, ever seen anyone complain about a game NOT having pitfalls. Most people complain about the game actually having them, and how absurdly they can be placed sometimes. I think that pitfalls are good, when placed appropriately, in a place where it makes sense. For example, a sky level, like sky chase, or even a cave level, like mystic cave. IMO, a mountainous landscape does not make for a good place for pitfalls, nor does a sewer. It doesn't make sense.

At the end there, you started complaining about rewards, like achievements not present and stuff... Really? Reeeeaaaally? This is a DEMO! Ugh.

Score of Pulse's review: 4/10. You sounded professional or whatever, but it's a bit early and a good portion of what you said didn't make any sense.

Score of Spark the Electric Jester: I really like the game a lot. It still has quite a bit to go to, but I've come back to the demo a few times to play it for fun, and I'm really looking forward to the final release. 

• Like 1

@pulse

*counter

There are are few things I disagree with choice of control cause most people dont have the option to select a controller for their PC most play on Keyboard.

Secondly the feel your totally wrong were the environment details are concerned - but hey were both entitled to what we think.

Thanks for the response its appreciated 

PS: idk it was Beta Demo - i thought it was a Demo 1.0

Edited by Pulse0
  • Like 1

http://youtu.be/LXMec8WbkQc

Here's some gameplay updates

- Spark now has a downwards kick that bounces off enemies and obstacles.
- The Electric bat is almost finished, and now has the zero spin.
- Spark now has a "rage" bar.
- Sword power has been updated with the new rage bar
- Spark will lose the power after getting hit, but the power will fall off like in kirby.
- You can Remove the power by pressing 'S' or 'button 4' on a gamepad.
- New effect for spark's second attack.
- The hover board is now a regular power up.
- The power you have is now displayed in the hud.

@Pulse0

You can customize your keyboard controls with control+Y too.

Edit: Also, about all of the drama.
Here's the thing, I think i know what is going on.
Pulse0 is right about is review, he didn't like the game and that's fine and i think it is fair to review a demo, what i made is what i made and it was ready to be reviewed.
But i think people are failing to see what is really behind Pulse0's review.

What i see is, Pulse0 is just dissapointed with the game. While i will disagree that the second level didn't have any challange (trust me, i playtested this game with a lot of people and the second level was quite hard), i can see why you were dissapointed with it. Or you were expecting that dopamine rush that happens after you complete a difficult challenge or you were expecting a megaman level of difficulty.
But i feel like you were expecting too much, not because this is a demo, but because you had high expectations. This "dopamine rush" is something that can happen in any game, but it's not a common occurrence, those moments are rare and usually happen once or twice in a good game, some games though, manage to make this happen a lot, those games are usually called great games. Megaman games, however, are famous for having those moments but are also extremely hard (or dare i say it, frustrating) by today's standards and because of that, a lot of people don't really like megaman. Capcom is probably not making more megaman games for this reason alone, after reciving feedback from their focus groups, even though they could just make a simple game for a cheap cost for a niche audience since megaman games aren't that big anywa... ... whatever.

But you had to have realised though, this dopamine rush, proabably didn't happen in any of my other games, ATS is known for not really being that hard. So is the original Sonic the hedgehog games, I remember only having those kind of moments once or twice while playing though sonic 3 and never thoughout sonic 2 (you know, metropolis, very frustrating and such).

Still, it was a fair review, he didn't like that game guys...
I'm the only one at fault here.

Edited by LakeFeperd
  • Like 7

tumblr_naql7ynl911tsqqdho1_400.png

"This is not final and i’m just testing things out at this point.
But anyway, this is a Megaman X dash for Spark! And it works just like in those games, even the afterimage will follow you after you jump mid-dash.

You can't dash in the air normally, but you will now be able to with the gravity gloves power up.

You guys think this is a good idea? I still have a lot of testing to do though."

The dash makes you go 1 value faster than your regular top speed at the moment and it does not go faster the faster you are.
I might change it though.

Edited by LakeFeperd
  • Like 1