A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

And i was thinking i was the only one with an Jazz Jackrabbit fan game idea, this is going to be awesome!!, and even you used the Jazz 1 sprites, nothing against the Jazz 2 sprites but the Jazz 1 sprites are just epic, the entire game is epic XDDD, this is kinda a secuel? a another story? something related to Jazz 3? i would like to know because Jazz is one of my favorite games before Sonic and Earthworm Jim, and seeing a fan game of Jazz is like saying that the fan base of this game is still alive and strong, im eager to see this becoming a full game in some near future.

I used the sprites because it's a custom episode ("mod" in perhaps more familiar parlance), not a separately programmed fangame. :P There's no real story beyond "lol Jazz is in Sonic zones," though. And of course the community's going strong! We'll be doing fine for years yet, even if we give JJ2 much more attention.

That Sonic 2 Tails looks incredibly out of place with the rest of the title screen from Sonic CD.

(Well, it wouldn't be noticeable except for the SCD Sonic right there.)

I actually agree. It will all be different when it is redesigned, and in that case I want to have Sonic on the left and Tails on the right for a change.

Well the game is both a rather open field (like Mario 64) and it's also not exactly done yet layout and level design wise. It'll be done before it's shipped to SAGE though.

Mario 64 was an open field because the player was supposed to figure out where they needed to go by solving puzzles. Is there going to be a puzzle element?

And something to keep in mind while developing your level layouts. You can design levels that direct the player, without the player realizing that they are being directed. The player needs to at least have a general idea of where to go. In your demo videos, levels look like a whole lot of the same thing. I know you said that the levels are still being designed, but I just wanted to make sure you noted this.

Mario 64 was an open field because the player was supposed to figure out where they needed to go by solving puzzles. Is there going to be a puzzle element?

And something to keep in mind while developing your level layouts. You can design levels that direct the player, without the player realizing that they are being directed. The player needs to at least have a general idea of where to go. In your demo videos, levels look like a whole lot of the same thing. I know you said that the levels are still being designed, but I just wanted to make sure you noted this.

Yeah we do have a puzzle/mission element, which is why there are multiple missions in every zone that allow optional things to do at the side. Now as for the layout, there is a general idea of where to go, but it won't be that greatly enforced until after SAGE when we get enough time to work on a proper full path (although we already have a good bit of them).

Also, screens:

Freerunner_SplashingSprings04.1.png

Freerunner_SplashingSprings05.png

Freerunner_SplashingSprings03.png

Freerunner_SplashingSprings06.png

Freerunner_SplashingSprings01.png

Freerunner_SplashingSprings02.png

(part blocked off for the SAGE build :V)

Textures and layout are STILL wip.

If you're talking of my game, then thank you very much! :D

Also, fence will be replaced with actual checkered walls later, sorry. Actually there will be some fences involved, as we going for a mix between a fresh open valley and a waterpark, but we don't wanna go overboard on one end compared to another, so we're trying to keep it balanced. Some gimmicks expected in the final version of this stage will be like geysers, ziplines, swinging / pulley vines, waterslides, and stuff like that. The bad part is that the level design is only 1/4 or 1/5 done, so expect nothing more but a somewhat barebones stage for SAGE this year.

For what i see in one of the screens there is still that problem with the skybox texture that only goes to certain point and not the whole sky looking like a cardboard wall or something, isnt a bad thing anyway because you dont have to constantly look to the sky, but is anyway to fix that issue, because that way looks a little...unnatural, i know the guy that did that Sonic Blitz 3D Unleashed fixed that but that was another thing.

Anyway cool pics and ideas i eager to play this even if is in barebones XDD

I see. The pictures you show do show a lot more direction, but I'm worried about the limitations of the Blitz 3D engine when it comes to falling off on one route onto another. For instance, if you miss the next plateau when you hit that ramp, you'll fall down. But the way that engine works, falling down may become more of a frustration that anything. It's hard to explain, but that engine is really just the beginning. Maybe you know what I'm talking about and have fixed it already.

One more thing I've got to add though. Make sure you fill your levels up to the brim with decorations and other less trivial things, because that Sonic model looks like it's a little man in a big world. Maybe it's the size of the repeating patterns doing that.

Like your project,Azukara!Specially after your Knuckles models and ideas with Sonic OVA style.

But still think you need somebody to make better textures.Those bricks reminds me Super Mario for some reason...

Sonic model looks like it's a little man in a big world

Agree with this.All level and objects looks really big!

Maybe because environment is so big,textures looks ugly...

thats my opinion =)

Just about everything makes Sonic feel puny at this point. It's really the scale of the levels doing this.

Put it this way. Have you ever seen ramps in any of the classic Sonic games that look this big when compared to the Sonic sprite? I haven't. That ramp you have looks huge, and the size of the textures, again, isn't helping.

I'm sorry to be so critical, it's just that whenever someone claims to be "reenvisioning classic Sonic in 3D" they tend to overlook inherent problems in doing so. In this case, it's the lack of obvious direction (which is improving, from what I can tell from the screenshots) and obstacle density, which is making sonic feel mighty small right now.

On a side note, how are you handling the movement controls? They were clunky and decidedly un-Sonic before, what with the controls being in relation to the camera angle and the camera angle being totally unscripted and player controlled. I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this in actually...

On a side note, how are you handling the movement controls? They were clunky and decidedly un-Sonic before, what with the controls being in relation to the camera angle and the camera angle being totally unscripted and player controlled. I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this in actually...

Clunky? Un-Sonic? I beg to differ. I reckon mouse-based camera controls with controls in relation to the camera is the best 3D Sonic camera solution anyone's every come up with, well, ever.

Everybody, we understand what you're all saying and completely agree. TBH, we were trying to rush this game's first level of sorts for SAGE this year then modify it to look better afterward. Well, after how blocky and glitchy everything came out, we decided against this idea. Sonic FreeRunner will not be appearing at SAGE 2010 this year. Believe me, you'll thank me later.

But why would you? It's simple: we've gotten off track in our art and gameplay style. We originally started off an ambitious project to translate momentum gameplay into a 3D world, while introducing a compromise of the classic and modern art styles to blend into one (similar to Chronicles' art style), vast level design and maybe a dash or two of parkour blended in. This game, after a while, started to degenerate into nothing more than "classic Sonic in 3D + Mario 64 level design". In other words, taking one part of the idea for the game and pretty much overdoing it. After running into this problem, we're (me and Eight Bit Dragon, other head of the project) decided to change the course of this game. Thus, since the current SAGE build is nothing like the final product will be like, it will not be in SAGE this year (I'm contacting the people to tell them to pull the site from the list).

Still expect lots of stuff in the future, but for now at most might be silence from us for a while (our team will be lurking in the shadows at most). I'll give a heads up every now and then, but for now we're busy transforming this game to the way we originally intended it to be instead of letting it turn into something we're not to proud of.

Thanks for the support and such, guys; we really need it. :)

I wish you guys luck. ^_^ Sonic FreeRunner definitely looks like it's going to become one of the more polished and enjoyable 3D Sonic fangames out there. It's definitely not a bad idea to pull out for a while and take your time adjusting the direction of its development - especially if it results in something far cooler than usual.

Anyway, just for the heckuvit (I hope you guys don't mind my lack of Sonic fangameishness as of lately xD; ), here's a screenshot compilation of an RPG/beatemup hybrid I'm working on:

screenshots1oe.png

August 19th will mark the 4-year anniversary since I originally started working on this game. Due to the amount of time I've spent on it, the quality of the graphics varies greatly between the earlier areas and the more recent ones. I've only recently begun to backtrack to the earlier sections to give them much-needed makeovers. (Also, I'm really happy I decided to stick with my cut-out styled graphics... otherwise the large character drawings for cutscenes would take waaaay too long to be worth it. <.<;; )

Overall, I'd say that an average player would find about 10-15 hours of gameplay in what I've built so far, depending on how often they need to return to the town areas for supplies while dungeon crawling. I'm roughly 35% done overall.

Clunky? Un-Sonic? I beg to differ. I reckon mouse-based camera controls with controls in relation to the camera is the best 3D Sonic camera solution anyone's every come up with, well, ever.

While the mouse controlled camera allowed the player a better view of what they're doing, it was too much to focus on. I didn't have to control the camera in the original games to make Sonic go in different directions smoothly.

I wish you guys luck. ^_^ Sonic FreeRunner definitely looks like it's going to become one of the more polished and enjoyable 3D Sonic fangames out there. It's definitely not a bad idea to pull out for a while and take your time adjusting the direction of its development - especially if it results in something far cooler than usual.

Anyway, just for the heckuvit (I hope you guys don't mind my lack of Sonic fangameishness as of lately xD; ), here's a screenshot compilation of an RPG/beatemup hybrid I'm working on:

[qimg]http://a.imageshack.us/img534/2822/screenshots1oe.png[/qimg]

August 19th will mark the 4-year anniversary since I originally started working on this game. Due to the amount of time I've spent on it, the quality of the graphics varies greatly between the earlier areas and the more recent ones. I've only recently begun to backtrack to the earlier sections to give them much-needed makeovers. (Also, I'm really happy I decided to stick with my cut-out styled graphics... otherwise the large character drawings for cutscenes would take waaaay too long to be worth it. <.<;; )

Overall, I'd say that an average player would find about 10-15 hours of gameplay in what I've built so far, depending on how often they need to return to the town areas for supplies while dungeon crawling. I'm roughly 35% done overall.

Hmmm it remembers me to the old games for PC those kinda DOS based, like a mix between Flashback graphics in a cartoony way and Jazz Jackrabbit and those in Background terms, aslo looks really fun to play since im a big fan of ARPG and Beat'em ups, i want to play this when a demo or even a beta comes out.

[qimg]http://a.imageshack.us/img534/2822/screenshots1oe.png[/qimg]

I absolutely adore this, i wanna play it i wanna play it