A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: Reboot - DEMO Phase

And I think I'm finally ready for a topic and thanks to Hobbes, I have a nice new logo for the game!

an12.png

zwbj.png

From wall cling you can spin up a wall to reach higher ground, almost wall parkour! I don't want it to be to nerfed though.
4tph.png

Tech Demo Completed [Version 0.1.3] : Oct 31 - Nov 3

Tech Demo Completed [Version 0.2] : Nov 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the bottom of this post before "Shooting for SAGE" I will have a current tech credits/helpers list.

Added Mechanics List:

Conveyer Belts
Spring Up High/Low
Moving Platforms
Nut and Bolt
Handles
Rockets
Trampoline
Dash Ramp
Dash Panel
Dash Rings (Hoops)
-Up, Down, Left, Right
Fans
Air Current
Water
Water Running
Layer Changing
Slope Update
Wall Jump
Grind Rails
Knuckles //---Character
Tails //---Character

SCREENS:

Death Animation
ocln.png

prp1.png

nnty.png

80zq.png

8827.png

EDIT: [Completed Tech 1] [Tech 2, Started Nov 3]

> Updated November 7 <

Projected Release: 12 - 24 - 13

Tech Demo Info:

No Release

Sonic Reboot: Game:
[Lead Programmer] Light the hedgehog
[Head Artist] Hobbers

Sonic Reboot: Beta Testers:

- Mr. Potatobadger
- InfinityAlex
- DaHog
- GamerZ1
- Jassbec

---Shooting for SAGE 14 Act 1---

DEMO [0] Build: Stage 1 Completed Demo last, "test" release!

~Whenever Mediafire loads up....

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

[Lead Programmer, Concept Artist] Light the Hedgehog

[Lead Programmer, Head Artist] Hobbers

Pre-Alpha 0.0 ~ March 28, 2014

Ready for SAGE Act 2?

Edited by Light The Hedgehog

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer the other stuff. Yes for springs, I would say 8 directions, 2 types of springs, one with shorter and longer launch distances. I also think you should add dash pads, red rings, rainbow rings, etc. Typical modern sonic stuff. But honestly, I don't think you should stop making gimmicks, because you can't just say "welp, I've got enough gimmicks, now to slap together cheap levels that overuse the same ones." I think levels should have specific gimmicks, ie, GHZ, tubes and breakable walls, Metropolis has the screws, sky sanctuary has springs that pop up and that weird spike thing. Hydrocity has that charging thing, etc. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what this is for. Is this engine an open source engine you're releasing? Or is this an original fan game? Because you say "release date" it makes me think you're releasing a big game or something in that short amount of time.

Yay replies. Anyways those are those "secret" gimmicks I mentioned. Wouldn't want to spoil em but.. oh well Its not some huge game or anything. I planned Tails' Plane (sky chase), The laser platforms (Death Egg). And more. Once I got to that level I was gonna program the specific gimmick. As for the engine. If the game is liked it'll be open source engine. I just feel really proud I programmed it from scratch! That's why I need a cut-off for gimmicks. in the open source. As for the 12 - 25 - 13 that's just when I want to have it released. If I can't, I can't. By the way, when is SAGE? I kinda want to enter.

Yay replies. Anyways those are those "secret" gimmicks I mentioned. Wouldn't want to spoil em but.. oh well Its not some huge game or anything. I planned Tails' Plane (sky chase), The laser platforms (Death Egg). And more. Once I got to that level I was gonna program the specific gimmick. As for the engine. If the game is liked it'll be open source engine. I just feel really proud I programmed it from scratch! That's why I need a cut-off for gimmicks. in the open source. As for the 12 - 25 - 13 that's just when I want to have it released. If I can't, I can't. By the way, when is SAGE? I kinda want to enter.

We are still not sure when SAGE will be, but it most likely be on November, or even December, so there's still plenty of time I believe.

Also, it might be generic, but that logo looks sweet!

The fact that you don't have screenshots means that your game didn't need a thread yet. You should post more then just text describing what you have planned and tbh, all the things you listed aren't that new for official or fan games. While I will acknowledge that you are building the engine from scratch, you need to sell more than text and a release time. Some Original Level art, Screenshots, gameplay footage, anything.

Thanks! I still can't thank Hobbes enough. Also updated topic first post. Probably Wednesday, I should have Screens.
So let me get shit straight... You couldn't wait 'til Wednesday to create your thread when MAYBE you will have ACTUAL PROOF that your game is being made?

But I guess any shitty logo can be considered proof, right? Welp, gotta create my thread now that I have proof on my new fangame being made, check it out:

a0Vhjxq.png.

Gee, no wonder SFGHQ is pretty much dead already.

So let me get shit straight... You couldn't wait 'til Wednesday to create your thread when MAYBE you will have ACTUAL PROOF that your game is being made?

But I guess any shitty logo can be considered proof, right? Welp, gotta create my thread now that I have proof on my new fangame being made, check it out:

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/a0Vhjxq.png[/qimg].

Gee, no wonder SFGHQ is pretty much dead already.

Calm your tits man. He has very valid proof, he has his screens that he posted in the screenshots thread. Where they go. Like Jass said, maybe he didn't want to post them twice. So yes, he couldn't wait 'til Wednesday, and he has ACTUAL PROOF that his game is being made. Know what, I will even post my favorite screen of your game here. Sorry light.

Edit: removed screen due to alex's post, he was right.

^Will be deleted within the next 12 hours, knowing Overbound.

Also, Pedro, I think you should stop being so harsh. SFGHQ is dead to Overbound being the only staff who does anything for the forum, yet he's limited as he isn't an admin.

Though he IS right. It's pretty much a given that having screenshots is a prerequisite (give me my lollypop, bitch) to having a thread on here. Then again, you make these mistakes when new. Although there ARE rules...dear God, I'm going to be here all night debating with myself.

Point is, we need screens so we can know what to expect from your game. Even if it's just in-dev screens, we need proof that you're not just trolling us for cheap lulz.

Everyone forgets about DW, he's around and he does stuff too. I mean Overbound is great but we can't forget DW as well!

Also other people beat me to the 'no screens/no topic' thing but I mean I guess he does have screens in the screen thread. So I'm kinda torn myself on what to make of it. Probably should have copy/pasted the screens from the other thread into here just to be safe. You can always edit them into the first post.

Okay topic edited with Screens. As Jassbec said, I didn't want to post the same pictures. It comes off as really, I don't know, lazy to me. So here are the new screens. Plus atm I was using my dad's laptop. Sorry.

Topic at hand there is now Spikes up, Hurt Action, Fans, and Moving platforms.

EDIT: Comment Removed Realized that he may not be actually talking about my logo.

Everyone forgets about DW

Proof that I've been inactive for too long. Alright, that's something of a wake-up call.

The topic has screens now, so it lives, but there is one post in here... a post of a type which I want to put a little insight into...

The logo looks good, but

It's way too generic, what ever happened to original game logos? Seriously, every single one looks exactly the same now.

Logos are fine and dandy and all, but they aren't really worth discussing... I'm sure when you wrote this that it was the only thing there that really had any kind of visual presence, and you have an interest in being 'constructive', but let's be realistic here, logos are just dressing and they aren't particularly important dressing. Really, those are the kinds of things that we should just be more or less ignoring in the forums except in passing. This is the second project thread in a row I've read where somehow a logo became the topic of discussion and it's just the kind of thing that makes me groan a little.

@DW

I feel the opposite. For me, a logo needs to be unique, and stand out different from the rest. The logo looks fine, its great, its just it looks no different from every game out there, and wont make me head towards the game. Jassbec showed me a particular sign in his game, and comparing it to lights, i would go towards jass' game. Its like the presentation of food. The food may be fantastic, but what if its slopily thrown into a bucket? That's just how i feel. Oh, and although he didn't have screens, I've seen and commented on them before, so i would have commented on the logo no matter what.

Wow, we practically called him out of inactivity. Nice job, guys!

Looking at those screens, I can certainly tell you aren't making this in Worlds. Did you custom build your engine from scratch? If so, kudos to you.

i thought i heard from him dat this engine was from scratch

yeah, dunno, but he ask about how to make sonic engine from scratch along tiiiiime ago (but not 1 year ago :v )

yeah, you make the "newly fresh" engine from scratch, right Light?

• 2 weeks later...