A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: Reboot - DEMO Phase

ok, got it! thanx for make me da tester! xD

(lvl Tester 5 : scewer)

heres a bugs/glitch or not an actual bugs/glitch :

--> theres no brake. more like auto-stop at opposite direction (at several speed).while at max speed, it just we're on Icy Platform tryin' to change direction

-->

IUu73CK.png

this is happens when you got opposite of slope direction (ex : / = right | Sonic goes to left side). yeah, pretty annoying dat i can't get max speed longer. xD

--> ok, so... the red spring was make Sonic jump lower than yellow one? um.... it just, awkward... Dx

--> XsnGf5g.pngGood, i thought this thing more like spring

--> r1E62yi.png this thing still unfinished yet, right Light?

--> T9wbj94.png3e8BCjh.pngSTOOOP!!! look at this, like on Sonic 3K, right? when at this pointand even 5-8px off of Sonic's position on dat, you will get back on again. well, maybe it preventing from falling. xD

nono, i mean, it just force the game to stay!

--> z2vpyxv.png6aGAO6j.png Achievement Unlocked : found the actual glitch!! xD (at the end of first level)

----------------

Bonus Round (Easter Egg maybe? xD)

--> press the right button one time and quickly press left and down button (maybe not reaaaaally at same time, but very quick) and if you do correctly, moonspin appeared! xD (you can do moonwalk too, just jump,no arrow buttons allowed. more like moonwalk forever if you do nothing to Sonic! xD)

But it just HARD to make it happen! xD

Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it. Now to address your problems, The slope problem is due to me coding it faulty. He will go up a slope in the direction your facing as long as its up, not down. Why, well the code I've been working on fails because of its tendency to snap Sonic down to the nearest ground piece no matter how high.

()<-- this be sonic.

__________________ <-floor height 1

__________________|

__________________|

__________________|_______________ <-floor height 2

Sonic will snap down to floor height 2 even if theres no slope.

So I removed that code for the Tech Demo. The snap onto the Handles, is to prevent cheap death. Lol Who wants to die from not being pixel perfect, or miss the top path due to wonky collision heh. But I'll change that to be a little less forgiving. The glitch at the end of the level is because of layer changing. You get stuck in the map because sonic senses the layer change too early while he's still in it, the Bam!, you're stuck. So I have to fix that. As for falling off. into oblivion at that same point, its also due to layer changing. I had earlier posted a topic in the "Fangame Assistance" forum asking whether, normally in a platformer when you change layer does the main layer become inactive? But no one answered. Anyways thanks again lol. You guys are doing me a great deal of help! :D

Update!: Didn't want you to have to scroll through a wall of text to see my edit. I made down slopes work! So I actually feel real soon you'll have some more stuff to test! I've encountered a couple problems though, it's "nearly" flawless. I also attempted like 4 times to make AT LEAST 8 direction movement, only to fail each time. So next game, I'll definitely use an engine. The barest engine I can find though, heh. Water also, with a breath timer. I also fixed the layer change problem. Sheesh testers really help the process speed up! Speaking of, how testing going? Not to rush you or anything, but fine tuning is key.

Next test I believe will be in about a week or two.

Update!: Rails and Wall Jump

jugu.png

zwbj.png

I plan on getting the test level looking a little prettier soon. Rails slope looks terrible, so in the game I might exclude sloped rails. Um. Also sorry about triple post, I might need to review the rules on this. But I believe for updates.. it's alright? Please don't bash me, please. I get it. Forum pollution with non-sense, but this isn't non-sense. So how about light dash for sonics moves also? I'm thinking his move list should be:

Jump, Homing

Wall Jump

Bounce or Stomp

LightDash

Slide / Roll of some sort.

What do you think?

I don't know because I don't know what you're really making. I think its a game, but with questions like that it sounds more like an open source flexible engine. If you're making this into a game you need to sit down and decide yourself what your mechanics are and decide on what kind of game you want to make. Basing game mechanics on a community vote is probably going to end up in a less than sub par game. Sure, bouncing or stomping sounds fun but WHY do you want that in the game? Does it add to the gameplay? Or is it just because its a thing sonic can do in his official games? Same logic goes for your other mechanics.

The move set looks fine but it doesn't offer anything new from other fan games unless you plan on bringing a new function to gameplay with those mechanics. Most of the time things like stomp in fan games are just to move down faster and don't bring anything new or unique to their game.

I don't know because I don't know what you're really making. I think its a game, but with questions like that it sounds more like an open source flexible engine. If you're making this into a game you need to sit down and decide yourself what your mechanics are and decide on what kind of game you want to make. Basing game mechanics on a community vote is probably going to end up in a less than sub par game. Sure, bouncing or stomping sounds fun but WHY do you want that in the game? Does it add to the gameplay? Or is it just because its a thing sonic can do in his official games? Same logic goes for your other mechanics.

The move set looks fine but it doesn't offer anything new from other fan games unless you plan on bringing a new function to gameplay with those mechanics. Most of the time things like stomp in fan games are just to move down faster and don't bring anything new or unique to their game.

Very true. My intention with this is to open release the engine after I'm done with the game. As far as original, I don't Know. Right now I'm just trying to get the most out of Game Maker and my time, before, I have to actually do stuff besides work. Bounce and lightdash might not be super unique but eh. I actually have an idea for it now though! Thanks so much. Umm I forgot what else I was gonna say.

I did it. An original Light Dash! It's similar to Sonic Battle's Light Dash esque move.

f4ub.png

You throw a ring, and it lays one by one how many rings you have down in a straight line. ATM max of 20, I might change that though.

g8dp.png

So now you can create your own light dash lines! It's not the MOST original, but I'm pretty dang proud of it! (thanks highwire!). So with this move it can add for interesting paths, and even.. glitches? lol. Again thanks Highwire4 that's the extra push I needed to add something somewhat original.

You're welcome.

Thats what I'm talking about when bringing something new to an old gimmick! I'm quite curious how you're going to implement it and polish it up later down the road. Will certaintly bring in some interesting level designs for sure.

Perhaps it takes away as many rings as it uses to make a path? (without killing the player of course)

Either way keep using that kind of mind set when addressing your mechanics and you'll come up with some new and cool things. Curious what you'll do for the rest of the mechanics.

It takes away one ring from your inventory for each ring it creates. It has a limit of 20 though, so your not left wide open while trying to plan out your new path. Maybe I should up the limit to 50? or Add a way you can stop it manually? I was also thinking about adding up direction also. Hmm, now I'm thinking so loosely about the mechanics, it's awesome!

I do like the look of this. I have a soft spot for that after-image effect.

Thanks man. I like the after image a lot too! So, for an update, I've added Tails, Knuckles (Basic Incarnations) and fixed some of the core gameplay. A lot of max ground speed to fix but it's done. Now I have to tweak each character and the engine to allow them to maneuver with their new top-speeds and such. Also need to brainstorm new mechanics for each character. I might make SAGE at this rate. But I really need you guys to help me and glitch hunt. There's a few I know of but I can't do it alone. Thanks you guys again though, for taking interest in my game! I'm really glad you guys are behind it. Also I have started on Boss "logic" Just getting the gist of it and grasping how they're made. So yeah...