A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Infinity [PREPARING FOR SAGE]

Hi everybody.

Some of you will have seen that I've been talking about making Sonic Advance 4. I finally started physical work on it this morning, so I figured now would be a good time.

The game is powered by the custom built Infinity Engine, made by Valeev, so enormous credit to him, without whom this wouldn't have been possible. The engine takes all the best from each sub-series of the Sonic franchise; the peelout and spindash make a return from the classic era, graphics are based off and ripped from those in the Advance series, the boost from Sonic Rush is a usable ability and stomping, wall jumping and the homing attack all return from the modern era. With all these abilities, this is the most versatile Sonic moveset to date (so far as I can remember, at any rate).

For SAGE, I am working on the very first act of the game, Sky City Act 1. More will be revealed in time about the levels and story and such like, but due to SAGE's release date potentially being just around the corner, I have decided to play it safe for now.

Here are some screenshots of the game so far:

xf5l.png

3sk.png

5uqt.png

As you can see, it's still very WIP. :asweatdrop:

Anyway, once I get the act done I'll put together a gameplay video. I'll try my best to incorporate as many extra routes as is sensible, but the main purpose of the demo will be to showcase the Infinity Engine (big love to you, Valeev!).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the custom built Infinity Engine, made by Valeev, so enormous credit to him, without whom this wouldn't have been possible...

Thank you so much, Infinity_Alex! I hope this engine help you to make awesome fan game!

...But I can't wait to see what your engine is capable of!

Let me correct you. It is our engine =)

@Valeev

Well that sounds awfully nice. It is your engine, Val, but I may end up adding stuff to it. Kessler could've have been referring to as in "your" (plural), you know?

@Kessler

Well, if you have run out of ring energy (the boost drains quickly so no boosting-to-win, now!) and there's no rings around, you can just blast off with a peelout. The peelout sprites look really nice as well, so there's that too!

Anyway, gotta go text dump this over at the Sonic Stadium.

@Alex

To be honest don't be silly like I did and make a 2D Sonic Unleashed and slapping the name Sonic Advance 4 on it. The only reason why it was called "Advance" because the game was on the Gameboy Advance. If you're aiming for a sequel to Sonic Advance 3, try to go off the same gameplay of the Advance games rather than putting boost and adding the peelout. Plus I think you putting in boost counters the fact of needing a peelout since it's hardly going to be used. The peelout was only added into Sonic CD to make up for the spindash to being not as useful (well that's what I think).

In short, if you're gonna use boosting and other mechanics from the recent 3D Sonic games, why not name it something original? =)

Let me correct you. It is our engine =)

I didn't even know you were on this site lol. It seems like not too long ago I found you on deviantart!

Well, if you have run out of ring energy (the boost drains quickly so no boosting-to-win, now!) and there's no rings around, you can just blast off with a peelout. The peelout sprites look really nice as well, so there's that too!

I tried it before, my sonic was too over powered with it so I gave peelout to Amy cause she couldn't spindash anyway while making boost work like unleashed for Wii. Try to find the best way to balance it out and make it useful.

@SuperBliz

I've named it Sonic Advance 4 as it continues the Sonic Advance storyline, therefore it's technically part of the Advance sub-series. Also, check the first post. I've not put anything in as of yet.

Tbh, the Sonic Advances didn't have much of a storyline and they wasn't really any continuity between the stories of the games. If you are going to continue Sonic Advance's storyline, try to keep it simple as the Sonic Advance series followed the Genesis games in terms of story and progression.

In terms of gameplay, I'll just have to wait for that gameplay video since there's not much to go by except what you mentioned. Afterall, the functionality of the engine you are using sounds interesting.

@Shinbs

Thanks for the idea.

@Jass

That sig is mine. As in, it has my name on it. Go and ask Mike for your own.

@ChaosFusion

Thank you very much. I'll make a gameplay video as soon as the act is finished, with graphics and with all the bugs worked out of it. Also, I do plan to keep the story simple, but it happens straight after Sonic Advance 3, which is actually a catalyst for this game's story.

Guest Mr Lange
@Alex

To be honest don't be silly like I did and make a 2D Sonic Unleashed and slapping the name Sonic Advance 4 on it.

In short, if you're gonna use boosting and other mechanics from the recent 3D Sonic games, why not name it something original? =)

My thoughts exactly. Sonic Advance 4 had it's own gameplay going for it. Here you're making the game play just like the DS titles and the 2D Unleashed sections. If you're making Sonic Advance 4 it should carry over the styles and gameplay methods of Sonic Advance, such as midair tricks, instashield, double tap jump dashing, and at most the limited range homing attack that was entirely optional (level design never required it at all). If you don't want to do that, then don't call this game Sonic Advance 4.

Additionally, if it's a storyline thing, there is nothing to go on, so that doesn't make sense. The Sonic Advance games had completely separate storylines with no continuity. In fact Sonic Advance 3 was a continuation of Sonic Battle. The only thing consistent between the games is the gameplay mechanics, which is unique to the Advance series, so an actual sequel if anything would only have that to go on.

.____________________. God damn.

OK, I appreciate your points, but I want this to be a sequel to Sonic Advance 3, even if it is different. Sonic 3 & Knuckles was rather different to Sonic 2 and yet we still call it a sequel. And, Mr Lange, I do intend to add the insta shield, though I've no idea what double tap jump dashing is.

Guest Mr Lange
.____________________. God damn.

OK, I appreciate your points, but I want this to be a sequel to Sonic Advance 3, even if it is different. Sonic 3 & Knuckles was rather different to Sonic 2 and yet we still call it a sequel. And, Mr Lange, I do intend to add the insta shield, though I've no idea what double tap jump dashing is.

Uh, what? No? The core gameplay in Sonic 3K is exactly the same as Sonic 2. They added one move for Sonic and Tails, added Knuckles, and the elemental shields. That's it. They didn't drastically alter the gameplay mechanics and add a ton of shit.

You use "different" too loosely. Sonic Advance had distinct gameplay and style. You're completely replacing that with the modern formula, which is something else entirely. If you want to make an "Advance" game you should respect it. If you want this to continue the storyline, you can still give it a different title. Like I said, Sonic Advance 3 was a sequel to Sonic Battle, which had different gameplay, same story arc. If you're going to use yet another different gameplay formula, you can give it another name, and still have it be a sequel.

The double tap air dash is a move you can do with Sonic, in which if you double tap forward in the air, he jets forward slightly. If you combo this you can gain a lot of speed.

I've found no pratical use for it, thus far (I tried it in Advance 2), so it won't be in. Also, the game will get a new name by SAGE but the working title right now is Sonic Advance 4.

@Lange

The engine has been modified so you can homing attack when uncurled, as well as the monitor and finish line glitches being fixed. Once the art is done and implemented (I don't have anyone doing it yet but I'm asking Mr. Berreh tonight), the game will be ready for release, but y'all still have to wait until SAGE.

Oh, don't worry. If what I've heard is correct, I may not be able to be at this SAGE, anyway. Still, the first act is almost done (I just need to fix a few things and finsh up the art), but I'm not planning on releasing anything until I have a menu screen. I want this to be presented well. 1 act without a menu just feels bare and ameteurish.

@Alex

To be honest don't be silly like I did and make a 2D Sonic Unleashed and slapping the name Sonic Advance 4 on it. The only reason why it was called "Advance" because the game was on the Gameboy Advance. If you're aiming for a sequel to Sonic Advance 3, try to go off the same gameplay of the Advance games rather than putting boost and adding the peelout. Plus I think you putting in boost counters the fact of needing a peelout since it's hardly going to be used. The peelout was only added into Sonic CD to make up for the spindash to being not as useful (well that's what I think).

THANK YOU GOOD SIR! And everyone else on my side too, including Lange, etc.

I hate to point this out again, alex, but think of it like this:

Lets say (for the sake of this conversation) Sonic the hedgehog 4 didn't exist, and someone around this time said,

"I want to make sonic 4!"

People be like,

"Oh! That's a fantastic idea! What are you using to make the engine?"

"The Oneofthoseclassicengines Engine, but I'm adding boost, homing attack, stomp, and sliding!"

"-__-"

Yea. Not gonna go too well.

Just dropped in to say there have been about a dozen Sonic 4's/5s/9s/ Sonic Adventure 54s and a whole plethora of fangamey titles. Nobody cares, just make the game memorable. You can't screw over the name of the original sonic games anymore than Sega already has.