A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Super Smash Bros. Underrated (aka, Who WOULDN'T be in Smash Bros?)

JiyakoZen

I've had my mind on this idea for quite a while now, and I think it's time to actually explain it.

Please bare with me on this project - no - idea. I'm a few years into college and things are gettin' intense, so any updates will come occasionally. Also, I've used MMF2 for the past six years, but I haven't gained the patience to learn actual programming. I've mostly been editing graphics in engines such as Sonic Worlds to create a fan game. I'm beginning to put it behind in order to come up with something a bit more unique.

So…Let me ask, who do you think would never appear in a Smash Bros. game. Well, I looked at some obscure SNES/SFC games and game up with some ideas for an obscure crossover.

First off, I have no ideas about the gameplay. If I were to join a group working on a game, I'd most likely be a concept designer. I haven't really come up with a story either, because I've chosen a lot of characters.

Characters

Note - I know a lot of these characters aren't Nintendo-related. Then again, this is just a fan game :P.

Aero from Aero the Acro-Bat

Azuki from BS Kaizou Tyoujin Shubibinman Zero

Congo from Congo's Caper (Yes, I choose him over Joe & Mac)

Goemon and Yae from the Ganbare Goemon series

Will from Illusion of Gaia

Zenki from the Kishin Douji Zenki series

Nike from Mahoujin Guru Guru 2

Princess from Magical Pop'n

El and Nora from Melfand Stories

Pocky from the Kiki Kaikai/Pocky & Rocky series

Twinbee from the Pop'n Twinbee series

Mail from Popful Mail

Magician from Seiken Densetsu 3

Popoie from Secret of Mana

Sasuke from Shounen Ninja Sasuke

Sparkster from the Rocket Knight/Sparkster series

Higgins from Super Adventure Island II

Cless Alvein from the Tales of series

Zool from Zool

That's all I have for now. I have played pretty much all the games listed, (I lived in Japan for a few years and became really addicted to my Super Famicom) but I'll just have to play them again while going through the gameplay mechanics at a more in-depth level so I can get an idea for the gameplay of this game.

So let me know what you guys think. Should I continue with this, or is it too much?

PS: Also, yes, I used the Spriter's Resource to assist with making that list :asweatdrop: .

Guest Mr Lange

Well you could, I like the idea of a fighter made of underrated/obscure characters. Some of those you listed I would especially like to see. Keep in mind though that me and a programmer are going to eventually make the ideal Smash Bros fangame, which will be full 3d and feature a character creator. We have a lot of the project well planned out.

Well you could, I like the idea of a fighter made of underrated/obscure characters. Some of those you listed I would especially like to see. Keep in mind though that me and a programmer are going to eventually make the ideal Smash Bros fangame, which will be full 3d and feature a character creator. We have a lot of the project well planned out.

Sounds neat. Though this I'm thinking would be more of a 2D game. Since it does feature characters from 2D platformers.

Thank you though :).

Id like to see:

Bubsy

Croc

Raphael the raven

Banjo(and kazooie)

Comander viridian

Comander Video

Super Meat Boy

And Tim (braid)

Bubsy: Well, I guess it would be okay to add him…I'm not that big a fan of the games, but maybe he could be an assisting or unlockable character.

Banjo and Kazooie: Okay, nice suggestion, but again, I'm trying to make this concept fit for a crossover featuring characters from very underrated 2D platformers that have been left to rot ever since release. I understand that this series has been through a lot, and many of retro gamers are demanding more similar games, but that's kind of relevant to the point I'm trying to make. Most of the games I chose have not been down similar paths like Banjo Kazooie and those other franchises. These SNES/SFC platformers/ARPGs only had one chance to shine on the TV screen, and most of them were only released in Japan. Croc, however, does sound like someone I could include.

About those indie game characters, I'll probably have to play them before I consider them. I appreciate all of your suggestions though :).

1-Ranger-X (Ranger-X)

2-Curly and Quote (Cave Story)

3-Klonoa (Klonoa)

4- Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)

I can't think of any more at the moment.

Probably the best suggestion here would be Klonoa :tgrin:. However, I think I'll wait until the next Smash Bros. game. I know the developers deny adding anymore new characters, but I assume there's that slight chance of the cabbit joining.

I'll say it right now, I know absolutely nothing about No More Heroes. The overall graphics style of the game just has never caught my eye.

Commander Keen, maybe. Jill of the Jungle, or Jazz Jackrabbit. Maybe King Graham or Roger Wilco from the Sierra adventure games.

Meh, never been a big PC gamer, even when DOS was around. (Esp. getting the damn thing to work :smidge:!)

Thanks for the nice comments :D. Now allow me to scribble down some more concepts:

I'd like to try to base the gameplay on more of a 2D arcade fighting style. I'm interested to see what will happen with small-scale sprites in a large-scale setting. Just imagine Smash Bros. as a 1v1 game with more tight boundaries for the camera.

The characters mentioned earlier will be the ones you start with. There will most likely be unlockables that are from either Genesis/Megadrive or TurboGrafx-16 games. Now I will list assist characters, which will be activated a la Marvel vs. Capcom and come from GBA games.

Assist Characters

Astro/Atom from Astro Boy: Omega Factor

Asterix from Asterix and Obelix: PAF Them All

Atomic Betty from Atomic Betty

Blender from Blender Bros.

Django from the Boktai series (It's actually Bokura no Taiyou, get it right!)

Beet from Bouken-Ou Beet: Buster's Road

Katt from Breath of Fire II

Danny from Danny Phantom: The Ultimate Enemy (Quite possibly one of Nick's greatest games ;))

Renamon from Digimon Battle Spirit

Gohan from DBZ: Supersonic Warriors

Goku from DB: Advanced Adventure

Jill from Drill Dozer

Rowen from Elemental Gelade

Fuuko from Flame of Recca

Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist: Stray Rondo

Cure White/Cure Black, the Pretty Cure from Futari wa Pretty Cure (Both attack at once)

Ranpha from Galaxy Angel

GeGeGe from GeGeGe no Kitarou

David Beckham from Go! Go! Beckham!: Adventure of Soccer Island

Ebisu from Goemon New Age Shutsudou!

Haru from Groove Adventure Rave

Blue from Gunstar Super Heroes

Juka from Juka & the Monophonic Menace

Guntz from Klonoa Heroes

Lady Sia from Lady Sia

Stafy from the Legend of Stafy series

Ginta from MAR Heaven: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Beginner (female) from Monster Gate

Natasha from Princess Natasha: Student, Secret Agent, Princess

Malice from Rivera: The Promised Land

Jenosa Arma from Scurge Hive

Sonyc from Sonyc (Yes, a joke character xD)

Pitch from Super Puzzle Bobble Advance

Aera from Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2

(list to be completed eventually)

Let me know what you think ^^.

Guest Mr Lange
Sounds neat. Though this I'm thinking would be more of a 2D game. Since it does feature characters from 2D platformers.

Thank you though :).

No I mean the graphics will be full 3d. The gameplay will be 2d as Smash Bros has always been.

Anyway I have a suggestion to throw in.

Milon from DoReMi Fantasy.

No I mean the graphics will be full 3d. The gameplay will be 2d as Smash Bros has always been.

Anyway I have a suggestion to throw in.

Milon from DoReMi Fantasy.

Hmm…not bad. Frankly, I haven't played it. It looks kinda like a sequel to Milon's Castle for the NES…Well after looking at it again, it is xD. Thanks ;).

lol I would main Team Tetrimino

Also, I propose Burger King mascot from those silly games they offered at BK at one point.

I don't do fast food at all, so I wouldn't know ^^;. I was almost thinking about Yo Noid! for the NES, which I recently discovered is THIS, believe it or not 0_o.

• 9 months later...

Trying to revamp the project. Again.

1gof91.png

I've played almost every game these girls come from. Still working on the larger games like Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3.

The point of me making this game is equivalent to a practicum for a final exam: I'm studying an assortment of these games - graphics, mechanics and all, and putting together all the information I gathered into one production. Having said that, I'm gonna try to make each character play as they do in the game they're from, even if they have close to nothing on their arsenal. Trying to break away from how other fighting games/beat 'em ups use fixed "movesets."

Edited by JiyakoZen